shape
carat
color
clarity

3-stone ring questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

madrock

Rough_Rock
I want to use my original e-ring stone as the center stone on a new 3-stone ring and have a few questions.

Is there a way to search the pricescope vendors for matched (similar dimensions) stones?

My diamond (purchased 20 years ago) doesn''t have a GIA cert. The original appraisal says it is a G/H 1.49 RB, VS1. I honestly don''t know about the cut quality -- I always thought it was super sparkly until I found pricescope, but now I''m afraid if I buy ideal cut stones to put on either side of it, it will look like a dud. Do you experts have any experience or opinions on this?

Can stones this size be set with just four (shared) prongs? I seem to remember someone telling me that stones over a certain size should have six.

I wear a size 7 ring, and have average length fingers and small hands. Do you think 1 carat side stones will make the ring too wide to look right? I like that ratio the best.

Any photos of your favorite 3-stones would also be appreciated -- I''ve looked through the forums but nothing has jumped out at me yet.

Thanks for your help.

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
There is currently a 3 stone thread on show me the ring....and that thread links to several others.........3 stone rings of all shapes and sizes are featured!!!!!
2.gif

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You ask a very good question.

In general you would want your side stones to be of the same color or a bit better. Color ratings don''t change that much if the stone was not misrepresentated.

Clarity is not a real issue - you have seemed happy with your center stone. Just buy eye clean side stones.

Now there are many vendors who will help you find a reasonably matched pair of sidestones.

The real question relates to how sparkly things will be. Great question.

Obvously, you do not want your side stones to dramatically outsparkel your center stone.

Here is my suggestion: Click on "Tools / Idealscope" above on the upper right tool bar and get yourself an idealscope. Personally I recommend the professional model with the backlight, but many people do just fine with the beginners model.

Clean up your ring and look at your center stone. If it has a good light return pattern then you know that you were not immagining things. If it is not so... Then just buy "ordianary" diamonds for your side stones and you will probably not create a problem.

A more formal approach would be to send your ring to a good appraiser and ask them to evaluate the diamond, and help you match a set of side stones from a trustworth dealer.

Denver Apprasier and Old Miner would be more than willing to help, I am sure.

Perry

longtimelurker

Shiny_Rock

I want to use my original e-ring stone as the center stone on a new 3-stone ring and have a few questions.

Is there a way to search the pricescope vendors for matched (similar dimensions) stones?

My diamond (purchased 20 years ago) doesn''t have a GIA cert. The original appraisal says it is a G/H 1.49 RB, VS1. I honestly don''t know about the cut quality -- I always thought it was super sparkly until I found pricescope, but now I''m afraid if I buy ideal cut stones to put on either side of it, it will look like a dud. Do you experts have any experience or opinions on this?

I wanted to try to find a match for my original e-ring stone (to possibly use as a side stone in a 3 stone ring) and every vendor I talked to basically said you need to send in your stone and let them do it with their own eyes. There is virtually no way to do it online
8.gif

Every vendor I talked to was very negative about mixing my 57D/66T (No, I didn''t mix up the numbers) stone with a super-ideal stone. They said you need to match the cuts up.
15.gif
And my original is pretty darn sparkly for the cut it is--no fisheye either.

So instead I got a whole new diamond
31.gif
and someday when I save up some $$$, I''ll set my original in a 3 stone with sapphires as sides.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results