shape
carat
color
clarity

3 stone gem ring help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
That ratio should look nice.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Ma Re! I don''t think I could draw an oval to save my life, so I guessed according to the diamond size chart I have haha!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
If you use Windows and have MS Office tools installed, you can draw ovals (and specify their sizes) in Word. That''s a great help when trying to scale some basic shapes
2.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hey pack,
if it helps at all, these are the dimensions of the 3 ovals that I will have
julia make into an E-W setting for me:
two at 7.5x6.5 and one at 6.9x5.7.
This will be a middle finger ring, likely size 7. And Julia said she has measured and those sizes will just fit if set on a rounded/tapered style band like the photoshop one that MTG did for me.

hth!
aj

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t have that program Ma Re..I have Word but no Office. I can always print out another of those diamond measurement charts and cut out the oval sizes.

Thanks AJ! I think what I''m guessing should work then, if I do say, size 6 for one of my middle fingers.

Does Julia have your stones yet? I''m dying to see how it turns out!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
If you google Open Office I think there''s a freeware package that pretty much does everything that Microsoft Office does, but it''s, um, free. Then you can use whatever software program you need. Or just print off more gemstone size charts and do it that way.
1.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like free! Thanks Austen!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2009 3:32:58 PM
Author: packrat
I don''t have that program Ma Re..I have Word but no Office. I can always print out another of those diamond measurement charts and cut out the oval sizes.

Thanks AJ! I think what I''m guessing should work then, if I do say, size 6 for one of my middle fingers.

Does Julia have your stones yet? I''m dying to see how it turns out!

no probs pack,
yes yours will likely have max finger coverage like mine!
Julia has 2 of my stones and one is on the way.
However the ring won''t be done until about Dec
7.gif
The volume of orders she has from PS''ers is just insane atm!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Pack, if you have Word, you have Office, cause you can''t have Word without Office - as Word is part of Office (if that explanation makes sense)
2.gif

P. S. If you don''t believe go to My Computer icon (you probably have it on desktop), and you''ll find a Microsoft Office folder under C:\Program Files. Sorry for a slight thread jack.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
AJ, wow, that''s a wait now! Hehe, when I emailed her about my ring, I apologized for emailing a little earlier than I plan on doing the ring, trying to plan ahead and all, and she''s like, no that''s GOOD the way my schedule is. haha PSers are good for business!

Ma Re, you know, I wondered about that yesterday so I opened Word and fooled around with it and couldn''t figure out where to make ovals. I''ll dink with it some more tho.

Heck, thread jack away-doesn''t bother me at all-I''ve learned more about my computer randomly on different forums than I ever did taking classes. While looking at my list of programs a couple days ago I realized I have some sort of MS Picture It thing, that I can do my own laughable version of Photoshop on pictures. Tho it did sort of come in handy-I played around w/this LM ring, and it made for some hysterical laughter at my mock ups!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Pack, ovals in Word should be in that line in the bottom of the window, you even have a little oval (next to a rectangle) that you can click on and draw your own, "click and drag style".

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Found it! I knew I didn''t couldn''t have had everything showing when I was looking..some of the buttons are under an arrow..so I''ve been making ovals to my hearts content. I googled and found a mm to inches converter so that helped too. I can''t get them all in a straight line so I think I''ll have to print out the variations I''ve got and play with them. Thanks for the tip!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I made these super fancy ovals up. Any thoughts on the proportions?

ovalsizes1.JPG

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Packrat, are you hell bent on 3 ovals? Which finger do you plan to wear this new ring on?

The reason I ask is because I particularly like the pear sides with the upper and lower band that taper towards each other. I think that pears will give you a more rounded look to the ring rather than 3 stones in a straight line. I''d make them the fat end of the pears the same width (or just slightly smaller) than the centre stone.

I bow to Ma Re''s far superior knowledge than mine when it comes to the different effects of the RI on the cuts. For interesting colour combinations, take a look at Paolo Costagli and Rodney Rayner

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Gailey! Well, I''d gone w/ovals b/c that''s what was in the inspriation ring. I''m not too keen on pears..I''m not sure why..b/c one side is different than the other I think. I was trying to get it so the side stones are smaller than the center so the band would still taper towards the back instead of going straight back. I dig that it''s like a split shank and I want to be able to see it, so it''s hard to guess what size the stones should be.

I think it will be worn on my right middle finger.

Cool sites you linked to, thanks!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Pack - top row, 1st to the left; bottom row, 1st to the right.

Gailey - thanks, but it''s all just a theory and it doesen''t have to work the exact same way IRL.

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
Favorite is the 1st combo on the top row, then the bottom right most, then the top right most.

You can also set the ovals N-S if you think that E-W is too much finger coverage.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Ma Re and Litebrite! Top left and bottom right were 2 of the ones I liked also.

K, now don''t strangle me...
I got to thinking today..this ring will be more of a band ring b/c the stones won''t have pavilions and need to be elevated high off the finger. It makes me wonder if I would need to go a little smaller with the stones?? It will be a size 5 1/2 or 6 and if the stones are bigger, will they cover the whole top of my finger and not be able to see the split rails at all?

I did make some other ovals too, just in case.

I''m obsessing, I know. I think we''ll be able to afford this ring before my ering and I can''t have Dana look for anything until I figure out what the heck I''m doing.

I appreciate any thoughts! Maybe quit obsessing and just get on with it?
19.gif

moreovalsizes.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results