shape
carat
color
clarity

3 carat total weight studs, opinions please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2006 2:33:16 PM
Author: ChooChoo
Here is what I would get with your budget: a pair of premium cut J SI1 stones.

http://www.uniondiamond.com/diamonds/diamonds.php?search_type_id=2&action_type_id=2&item_id=AA030806&&1.32ct-J-SI1-Round-Brilliant-Cut-Diamond
and
http://www.uniondiamond.com/diamonds/diamonds.php?search_type_id=2&action_type_id=2&item_id=AA101536&&1.33ct-J-SI1-Round-Brilliant-Cut-Diamond

They will be plenty big at 7mm, a lot whiter and a lot sparklier. But it''s your money!
I would agree. I honestly think L SI2 stones at 1.5 cts. will not look great. I would also go to 1.0-1.3 cts. and up the color and clarity a bit.

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
The one thing I can tell from those pictures is that they have very large tables, and that I can definitely see some color in them.

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
If I had your budget for earrings (sigh, you lucky lucky girl) I would get these for $8200:
Earrings_1.49ct_5468.jpg

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Wow ChooChoo, where did you find those jaw droppers?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2006 3:43:37 PM
Author: jmari
This may not be what you are interested in but you can also get SI/I stones where their inclusions are removed by laser and they look a LOT cleaner. You pay much less (probably about 40% less) They are called ''Clarity Enhanced''.
Personally, I would definitely go down in size and up in the Color of the stones. L color is a definitive yellow (not canary, more brownish). The jewelry store that I am most loyal to (A&E Diamond and Gold in Merrimack NH...www.aediamond.com) would sell similar stones (same clarity and color) for under $10,000. If you go with clarity enhanced, you could spend around $6000 for something that looks like $15,000. Depending on where you are, I would suggest calling around...I think you could possibly get a better deal, I hope I helped and didnt upset you!
why waste 6k on CE stones?
38.gif
you can''t give it away,if you want to trade up in the future. if you want to go the cheap route,buy a couple of interlaps from Wink for $100.they>

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2006 2:46:30 PM
Author: royalasschergirl

I was told by our jeweler that on their Sarin they were a ''2'' for whatever that''s worth!

They have Sarin reports! Great. I don''t think there is a Saring cut grade - the system allows any user to plug in their own criteria anyway. So it is still the jeweler''s ''2''.

Sure I''d like to know those numbers on the Sarin reports.

About the ''brownish L'' - perhaps they meant that the tint is not yellow but brown. Not all non-colorless diamonds are tinted with yellow... And if this is the case, I would like these even more - IMO, the brown tint is not as visible. There are also gray-tinted ones... whatever. The color grade gives the intensity of color, not the kind. If the tint was pink, these ''L'' would have been ''fancy light pink'' or something
31.gif

In the end.... Those things sure look fab on your ears! I don''t think I''d dare take these babies for a walk in the park without a floppy hat on, but they would certainly be great to light up the night somewhere
9.gif
Anyway, I know enough ladies who could carry them on - good for them, and good for you!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2006 2:37:39 PM
Author: Mara
'I'm not an enemy of any sort of proportions, as long as they work. And sure enough, the cuter knew better how to do that. '

________

Unfortunately often enough Val the cutter does NOT know how to do that,

Me and my confusing one liners... that one needs clarification - I was referring to something different, not really cutting skills (or technology, or anything related).

What the post meant was, that cut grading systems do not 'know' as much as human experts... I am not talking about any system in particular - there's no need because all automated expert system fail to pull this trick as yet. Menaing, if these diamonds or any conform strictly with one top grade or another - good for them, but if they do not I would just say 'system does not apply' rather than 'trash the suckers'.
38.gif
That's just one way to handle things, I guess - and surely not the easiest or the most safe bet.

L/SI2 'Infinity' or 'A Cut Above' would have been cute!
31.gif
After hanging around here for so long, at least that is crystal clear. These? I have no reason to say they are that much worse to deserve the door. If anything, I would ask if similar grades are or could become available top cut and for what money.

Btw. 'Royalasschergirl', if you dig the 'Search' a bit you may find a story about an old & dinghy round diamond, recut to better proportions (not H&A) and ideal symmetry. The result went in a stunner of a Beaudry ring. The owner may be 'Art Nouveau', but I could be wrong on that. Kind of' a hint...

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have trouble wearing my 2.50 total carat weight earrings (at 1.25 carats apiece). Maybe a martini setting would help them from "bagging" on my earlobes, but I am not sure. I think 1.25 carats is too big (read: heavy) for an earring. Be really, really sure you want that size before you spend a lot of money on these. As other people have said, you can get better quality (that can be more useful in the future) if you go smaller...and my experience leads me to think that you should go smaller! This is not a ring or a pendant, where all that matters is one''s taste. The earlobes have to support the earrings. And earlobes are not very cooperative!!!

Deb
34.gif

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
I just received a pair of 3.14cttw studs and they''re no where near the quality you''re considering but just to give you an idea of size... heres a photo of one of them on my ear.

P1010219.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
CC it looks like those are 1.49ctw in in the large stones only for $8900?

Wow that site has some amazing things...I was drooling over the 6 ctw cushion cut earrings for $58k...yikes!

AsscherGirl...I think that the earrings look great. For me, personally, I would probably get something a little lower in color...that''s just me and if you love these then by all means, get them. They do have sparkle, they are huge, a nice price, all the bang for the buck.

But for example I was just surfing around last nite and saw that WF had a 1.10 J SI2 ES stone for something like $4100 and then a 1.10 J SI2 ACA H&A stone for $4800 (without PS discount), so for $9k you could have 2.20ctw, not exactly the 3ctw these are but they''d be exceptionally cut. However, they wouldn''t look as big because of the loss of spread for sure.

Either way I think that you have some great options to choose from with $10k as your budget, girl!

Val, I definitely don''t think these should be shown the door, but don''t know that I''d agree that an L SI2 pair of ACA or Infinity would automatically be dubbed cute. For me this color may be a little too low for my personal tastes. I''d almost go smaller with a well-cut J or K.

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
The ones for $8900 are 1.79 TW, the ones for $8200 are 1.49. The stones would definitely be smaller, but if it were me, I would rather have an overall luxurious look for that amount of money. This is just my opinion, but to me diamond studs aren''t very glamorous earrings. They are what I would wear to the office if I could afford them, not the earrings I would wear to a black tie event.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were going to go with larger, lower quality stones, I''d for sure buy some like Miss Prudential''s for $3000 rather than spending $10,000 for L SI2''s. Now that''s a good deal! And from the pictures, they look as good to me, too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results