carat
color
clarity

3.7 ct Lavender Blue Spinel ring by ERD Photography Session

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: 3.7 ct Lavender Blue Spinel ring by ERD Photography Sess

Back from the great outdoors with around 14 pictures of which about half are usable. I used the Camera Awesome app to help lock the auto-focus down which seems to have helped. At least I think so but the proof is in the pictures below so if anyone disagrees, please tell me so. I deliberately wore a cream coloured sweater today instead of my usual black to minimize any shadowing. I am still wearing black khakis and using a black iPhone though.

One last butterfly prop before I abandoned it completely. I managed to partially capture some of the multicolours or what I call fireworks and the background isn't wholly distracting...I hope. The halo is over-exposed though. Am I using the right terminology? They look too white and out-of-focus. Maybe I didn't lock the auto-focus correctly?

brown_butterfly.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

More "natural" props on the rest of my pictures.

Berry 1
Not pleased with this at all. The angle is off, so there is terrible table glare and tilt window. I think the composition is acceptable? I should have repositioned myself so that the camera is facing the table squarely. :nono:

Berry 2
Why is the halo "whiting" out? There is obviously no strong light to wash the diamonds out so I don't know what I am doing wrong. The ring is also not centered in the picture. Again, taking more time could have improved the quality of the picture.

Berry 3
I think this is the nicest of the 3 Berry pictures but there is still plenty of room for improvement. The right part of the picture is overexposed?

berry_1.jpg

berry_2.jpg

berry_3.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Horrible picture composition but I was playing around with positioning. :bigsmile: Yes, I positioned it so that the elongated part sits NS instead. The facet pattern showed up reasonably well but the diamonds eluded me once again.

north_south.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

PLEASE Please please tell me that I did something right here.

I rolled up a leaf and used it as a support structure for the heavy ring. It still didn't want to stay upright but some twiddling around worked after awhile. Berries on the left and right to "hold" the leaf still and add some splash of colour. There is no reflection from the sky or surroundings since I am in the shade of an evergreen shrub.

The second picture is a close up of the ring with the same setup. I moved in a little closer hoping that I would not need to crop the picture.

leaf_1.jpg

leaf_2.jpg

emmmme

Shiny_Rock

Chrono|1382384203|3541800 said:
More "natural" props on the rest of my pictures.

Berry 1
Not pleased with this at all. The angle is off, so there is terrible table glare and tilt window. I think the composition is acceptable? I should have repositioned myself so that the camera is facing the table squarely. :nono:

Berry 2
Why is the halo "whiting" out? There is obviously no strong light to wash the diamonds out so I don't know what I am doing wrong. The ring is also not centered in the picture. Again, taking more time could have improved the quality of the picture.

Berry 3
I think this is the nicest of the 3 Berry pictures but there is still plenty of room for improvement. The right part of the picture is overexposed?

I love Berry 2! It looks like the light is coming from the right, which is why the exposure is a bit uneven. But I think the berries show off your ring beautifully!

RTFrog

Shiny_Rock

Very nice Chrono. Showing off your ring very well :appl:

My favorite one:

Chrono%20Shots%201%20013.jpg

Are you happy with the pictures? Are the colors turning out to represent what you see?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

The color of your spinel is so crisp for a light colored spinel. So little grey.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I really like this one too because it shows so much detail of the stone, faceting and the setting. I also think the berries look more like a backdrop instead of something you added on purpose, if that makes any sense.

berry_3.jpg

This one I blew up, and cropped because I like so much how the facet pattern looks, and the dichroic nature of the stone, that I thought it would be great to have a shot "in your face" so to speak. Some people might not like that as much, but I like shots like these.

leaf_3.jpg

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium

I get butterflies looking at your ring. Its berry beautiful.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you to everyone for their comments, especially RTF who provide guidance every step of the way. I think I am done for now. More practice is needed, of course, so I will try again next Spring. If I can brave the cold, I might try some snow pictures.

Overall, I am happiest with the berry pictures. The colour is as close as I can possibly get. In your picture, the saturation is unrealistic. In my pictures, the berries are too orangish. In your picture, the berries are too strongly coloured. The same goes for the spinel - it is a tad too dark and rich but I love how crisp and sharp it looks in your version.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results