shape
carat
color
clarity

3-4 mm pearl necklace?

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I've always wanted a 3-4mm pearl necklace for layering. Can anyone recommend a vendor? I'd love akoya... what would I expect to pay for a strand?

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Depends on what sort of pearl you want. Freshwater, akoya..colour, length, clasp, quality...?

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Tiny pearls are really expensive if you want Akoya . It's surprising ( to me as well) and I know this as a client asked about a 36" rope of 3mm Akoya - she'd seen one for sale for around 2k . I thought ... don't be ridiculous ... can't be that much. Granted this was from a Jewellery site but still I figured the price was ridiculous. So I looked into it and it seems that round ( that's the key... much less to get the baroque with a little tail) AAA White Akoya are really pricey.

Freshwater will be lots cheaper but you won't get the lustre pop that comes with Akoya. And maybe for such tiny pearls you need that pop .

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I know of only one farm which produces akoya that small. It's in Vietnam and they produce four tiny round pearls per shell. Excuse the hair in the second photo - it was incredibly hot and humid

IMG_20190827_113903.jpg opening   akoya .JPG

Last edited:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could check with Amsterdam Pearls and get a quote from them --
http://www.amsterdampearls.com/akoyapearls.html

That is Cees van Oije on Instagram. (Cees is pronounced "case"-- but I have no idea how to pronounce his last name!) DM on Instagram may be a quicker way to contact him.
I have bought from Cees. My drop shaped GSS necklace and round GSS studs are from him.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would check out the Etsy sellers such as WenPearls or WillPearlJellery.

DK :))

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
3-4mm pearls are a real pain to knot!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Begonia I wanted to email you tonight, as soon as I'm done with work. I've been meaning to send you a note for... God. Years. Life, I don't know where the time has gone. But I'm not sure if your email is still the same, so just a heads up here as well ❤️

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
@Begonia I wanted to email you tonight, as soon as I'm done with work. I've been meaning to send you a note for... God. Years. Life, I don't know where the time has gone. But I'm not sure if your email is still the same, so just a heads up here as well ❤️

Yes, it is.
Always a pleasure my sweet friend.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Begonia - I want one too. It would be a great addition to a “neck mess.” I looked for one several months ago but was disappointed in everything I found. Most looked cheap. I’m interested to see what you come up with. Please keep us posted.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
@Begonia - I want one too. It would be a great addition to a “neck mess.” I looked for one several months ago but was disappointed in everything I found. Most looked cheap. I’m interested to see what you come up with. Please keep us posted.

Will do!!

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'm curious, why did they look cheap to you?

LHethrington

Rough_Rock
I've always wanted a 3-4mm pearl necklace for layering. Can anyone recommend a vendor? I'd love akoya... what would I expect to pay for a strand?
Hi there! i follow a few pearl jewellers and vendors on socials, and noticed that Pearlescence posted this week that they are off to the Hong Kong jewellery fair next week so might be worth contacting them to source you Akoyas at trade price for a strand, will be a very cost effective way to do it! i did similar for my wedding jewellery and was Sooooo happy with my specially commissioned pearls!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, Jeremy And Hisano Shepherd of Pearl Paradise are also headed to Hong Kong. In the past they have shopped for individual requests (that is how I got my metallic white FW studs some half a dozen years ago). If I had a special order I would not hesitate to ask them to look on my behalf.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI Miss B:

A little bigger @ 5.5 mm.

cheers--Sharon

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Pearl Paradise just started promoting a line of tiny freshwater pearl necklaces in that mm range if you are interested in a non-akoya option. I'm looking at them as a gift for my daughter for the holidays.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pearl Paradise just started promoting a line of tiny freshwater pearl necklaces in that mm range if you are interested in a non-akoya option. I'm looking at them as a gift for my daughter for the holidays.

I just bought one to use as a chain for pendants. I hope it looks nice.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I just bought one to use as a chain for pendants. I hope it looks nice.

Which mm did you pick? I was looking at the AAA versions.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope it’s beautiful! Good idea to use it as a pendant chain!!!

I just got the PP Tiny FFWs and they are quite nice for such tiny little things. They are going to get a lot of use for layering.

PP Tiny FFWs1.jpg

PP Tiny FFWs2.jpg

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I just got the PP Tiny FFWs and they are quite nice for such tiny little things. They are going to get a lot of use for layering.

PP Tiny FFWs1.jpg

PP Tiny FFWs2.jpg

Oh they look good!!! Very nicely shaped and even! I hope you get a ton of wear out of them for layering! I think my daughter would love a strand I’m totally ordering one now and I may just get one for myself too!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh they look good!!! Very nicely shaped and even! I hope you get a ton of wear out of them for layering! I think my daughter would love a strand I’m totally ordering one now and I may just get one for myself too!

Always happy to enable, lol.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock

PP Tiny FFWs1.jpg

PP Tiny FFWs2.jpg

Lovely! Are the ring on the end and a few inches in small enough for a reasonably sized pendant jump ring to pass over them?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results