shape
carat
color
clarity

2k diamond budget, pricescope please help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chansigrilian

Rough_Rock
first off, like many here i''m looking to get engaged. i''ve been saving for the ring for a couple of months now (cash is king!) and the time has come to purchase the diamond. i have a local jeweler who will be making the ring for me but as usual his diamond prices are a little on the high side, although better than all other local jewelers.

basically, i am hoping pricescope can help me find a decent princess cut diamond for $1500 to $2000. i would like approximately .75 carats, and am thinking at least g color and at least vs2 clarity. from what i''ve been researching for the past month or so i understand cut is the most important factor... and this is where i get pretty cautious. james allen would seem like the best place to find my diamond so far, with stones like the two below. i don''t understand why the significant price difference between these two very similiar (at least on paper) stones, with the slightly smaller one which was graded by ags *less* expensive. can someone explain this to me?

at any rate, i really just need to find a nice princess cut diamond in my price range and don''t want to get into trouble. i was hoping pricescope could find me a stone, altho any help is greatly appreciated
1.gif

Carat weight: 0.78
Cut: Premium
Color: G
Clarity: VS2
Certificate: AGS
Depth: 70.1%
Table: 75%
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: Very thin to medium
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 4.50*4.42*3.10
Ratio: 1.02
Price: $1473

and

Carat weight: 0.70
Cut: Premium
Color: G
Certificate: GIA
Depth: 74.5%
Table: 72%
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick
Measurements: 4.88*4.78*3.56
Ratio: 1.02
Price: $1919

p.s. i would also like some help finding eight very small matched princess cut diamonds for the channel setting. specs comparable to the main diamond, ~.50 carats total. any ideas on this one? james allen once again?

p.p.s. anyone have any good recommendations for colored stones... say two ~.38 carat (each) matched princess cut tanzanites of the best quality (deep blue-purple), or failing that vivid darker blue sapphires? i was looking at a site called gemhut, just for ideas, their prices seem decent. has anyone ever used them for anything?

thanks once again folks *crosses fingers*

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 11:09:30 PM
Author:chansigrilian
first off, like many here i''m looking to get engaged.
congratulations!
36.gif

basically, i am hoping pricescope can help me find a decent princess cut diamond for $1500 to $2000. i would like approximately .75 carats, and am thinking at least g color and at least vs2 clarity. from what i''ve been researching for the past month or so i understand cut is the most important factor... and this is where i get pretty cautious. james allen would seem like the best place to find my diamond so far
jamesallen is a good choice
2.gif

i don''t understand why the significant price difference between these two very similiar (at least on paper) stones, with the slightly smaller one which was graded by ags *less* expensive. can someone explain this to me?
they are only *similar* on paper. what''s seems like a small difference on paper can make a big difference on looks.
the first stone is pretty shallow with a biggish table and is quite a bit smaller than the second one which has a nice depth and an average table.

at any rate, i really just need to find a nice princess cut diamond in my price range and don''t want to get into trouble. i was hoping pricescope could find me a stone, altho any help is greatly appreciated
1.gif
the second one has potential! ask jim for some pics!

p.s. i would also like some help finding eight very small matched princess cut diamonds for the channel setting. specs comparable to the main diamond, ~.50 carats total. any ideas on this one? james allen once again?
i would not get crazy with matching melee. find a good jewelry designer and you will have quality stones in the setting. guaranteed.

p.p.s. anyone have any good recommendations for colored stones... say two ~.38 carat (each) matched princess cut tanzanites of the best quality (deep blue-purple), or failing that vivid darker blue sapphires? i was looking at a site called gemhut, just for ideas, their prices seem decent. has anyone ever used them for anything?
finding matched pairs is tough. i would seriously consider having your jeweler or someone you trust in the trade source the stones.

best of luck!

chansigrilian

Rough_Rock
thanks belle!

i''ve sent james allen an email asking for pictures of two ideal cut princess stones as well as setting information. i''d really like the two princess side stones to be colored, either sapphire or (preferably) tanzanite. hopefully they can either get them or will mount them if i provide them.

i''ve upped my diamond budget slightly to accomadate the best cut and better table and depth. i did some reading late into the night last night lol.

well thanks again, i''ll post back once i get some pictures and have a better idea what i''m looking at
1.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2006 9:23:36 AM
Author: chansigrilian
thanks belle!

i've sent james allen an email asking for pictures of two ideal cut princess stones as well as setting information. i'd really like the two princess side stones to be colored, either sapphire or (preferably) tanzanite. hopefully they can either get them or will mount them if i provide them.

i've upped my diamond budget slightly to accomadate the best cut and better table and depth. i did some reading late into the night last night lol.

well thanks again, i'll post back once i get some pictures and have a better idea what i'm looking at
1.gif
you're welcome!
i will be looking forward to the pictures. hopefully he will give you idealscope images as well.
as far as the sidestones, sapphires would be more durable. tanzanite is soft and scratches rather easily. both are beautiful, but i just wanted to point out the differences in hardness, in case you didn't know.
lol...you've already upped your diamond budget!? uh-oh!
31.gif

looking forward to seeing what you find!

chansigrilian

Rough_Rock
could i ask about one more stone please? pictures to follow as soon as james allen gets it in, thoughts on this stone however? is there anything i should be looking for or be wary of? it *seems* like a great diamond, i''ve asked for idealscope pics as well as standard pics from different angles
1.gif
thanks once again, the help is much appreciated.

Shape: Princess
Carat weight: 0.71
Cut: Ideal
Color: E
Certificate: GIA
Depth: 72.3%
Table: 68%
Polish: Excellent - Ideal
Symmetry: Excellent - Ideal
Girdle: Slightly thick to thick
Measurements: 5.01*4.83*3.49
Ratio: 1.04

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The last one sounds great. Hope it looks as good as it sounds
2.gif

As for the little matched blue stones, those would usually come ready set in the ring, or... the jeweler making a custom setting would find them. Tanzanite would e very light colored in such small size - think lavender - and more prone to wear. Sapphire? That should work just fine.

Since you mention loose sapphires to be set in a channel mount... that will be custom work, no?
38.gif

chansigrilian

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/2/2006 11:22:17 PM
Author: valeria101
The last one sounds great. Hope it looks as good as it sounds
2.gif

As for the little matched blue stones, those would usually come ready set in the ring, or... the jeweler making a custom setting would find them. Tanzanite would e very light colored in such small size - think lavender - and more prone to wear. Sapphire? That should work just fine.
Since you mention loose sapphires to be set in a channel mount... that will be custom work, no?
38.gif

actually the loose stones will flank the main diamond. the ring is 18k white gold, .71 carat princess, matched .18 carat tanzanite/sapphire/emerald (still undecided, need to decide tonight
14.gif
) and then eight channel mounted princess cut diamonds totalling .32 carats.

i know the emerald is a poor choice for longevity, but in that size i''m thinking high quality emeralds are the way to go, they''re her favorite. i was going with the tanzanite (her second favorite) but talking to josh at james allen has made me re-think this... and yes, the ring is somewhat custom work
1.gif

any opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results