shape
carat
color
clarity

$28,000 ring at Neimans - windowed blue sapphire??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
So for fun I''ve been trying on rings at higher end stores to get a feel for what I might like and I tried on a $28,000 ring at Neiman Marcus the other day. It was about a 2.91 ct blue sapphire with some side trillion cut diamonds. Very pretty blue but when I looked at the price tag under the stone I could read the print --- that means its windowed, right? I just think pre-pricescope I would have been super clueless about looking for cut in a colored gemstone.

In other news this ring looks really great on my finger.

http://www.lussori.com/h-stern-stars-ring-champagne-diamonds-18k-noble-gold-jewelry-design.html

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a strong possibility that you are reading the print through a tilt window and not a true window (through the table only).

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Neiman is soooooo expensive anyway. I was looking through their store front, and topaz ring for 4k? um....ouch?

One big store that has decent value for their jewelry is Lord and Taylor. I browse through there and that had a pair of 1ct SI2 diamond earrings for 1200$. Not bad at all, expecially for a large retail store.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm, I''m not sure. I might have tilted the stone. Thanks for the insight.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, the first Neiman Marcus just opened it Seattle (we are becoming civilized! Hooray! Now I am waiting for Saks). People told me they "dressed for the occasion" just to go there! Even the salespeople behave in an "upscale" way. If understand you right, though, you are just looking, because only kamikadzes could buy jewelry there (LOL). However - you are raising an interesting question. These Cartier rings advertised by Kate Moss - how good are the stones there? I always suspected that the quality did not match the price, althoug the name did.

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
I just popped over to the site and these were on the front page... $2300... Really? I mean come on.

HSJB1CR163865.jpg

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
$2300 for pale, windowed amethysts and MAYBE .25cts of diamonds. Yeah, no.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/20/2010 4:49:16 PM
Author: redfaerythinker
I just popped over to the site and these were on the front page... $2300... Really? I mean come on.
OK, that one is so shallow as to have an almost flat back and therefore hugely windowed.
39.gif

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Maybe its what they were going for? Maybe they are starting the new big jewelry trend!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/21/2010 8:40:28 AM
Author: Tropicgal10
Maybe its what they were going for? Maybe they are starting the new big jewelry trend!
I know that an upscale jewelry house here is using such stones deliberately.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results