shape
carat
color
clarity

$2500 too much to pay for a custom built ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
So I shopped around for my dream setting today, and found a pave setting in platinum that''s going to run me about $2500. This seems so high! (we''re talking about .30 in stones pave set on all three sides of the shank, half way down each side)

Egads - getting a good deal on the stones is not looking like such a great deal after all!

Advice? Is that too much?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
That is very labor intensive. That''s what you''re paying for. If it''s done right, no, that''s reasonable.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah... it''s not the material that makes the price there.

Does it look anything like THIS
2.gif

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
That doesn''t seem too high. Remember that platinum is really expensive right now, something like $870 dollars per ounce last I read, and pave is something that you want done right. I''ve heard over and over again that cheaply done pave stones will jiggle loose and fall out. Considering how much the designer 3 sided pave settings run, that sounds like a pretty good deal.

TMS

Rough_Rock
Seems very high. I bought an e ring last month with a custom platinum band, it has 10 channel set F VS2 stones on the band and pave on the front and back with the same color and clarity. Total weight was 1.20 ct, cost was $1670.

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
All I can say is then you try to make the ring! Yea, right if you had to make a ring you would charge 10 fold :)

Be nice to these people that create works of art. :)

Take Care
The Iceman

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
If anybody has ever been on a bench they would think that was a bargin :)

Last 2 cents

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Ice- I recently bought a .50 side stone. I could barely handle the thing. I was like...if I had to work with teeny little stones for pave, I''D SHOOT MYSELF!!!

Hiya, Ana:

Thanks for the picture - I love that setting!

The one I''m looking at has a three-sided pave'' setting. ...less of a rounded shank - with some light milgrain work to give it an estate look. There''s also a bit of milgrain work within the gallery that holds the stones. It''s very pretty and old-world.

I know custom work is so expensive, as is platinum.

thanks, Everyone!

TMS

Rough_Rock
"All I can say is then you try to make the ring! Yea, right if you had to make a ring you would charge 10 fold :) "

Why whould I? I know nothing about making rings, seems like maybe you don''t either? Maybe you just like overcharging people, or where your from there is not a good competitive market like in Boston.

Anyways I looked at 3 sided pave also it was all the way around .86ct for $1300

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
I think $2500 for this kind of ring is a bargain. You are not just paying for the diamonds and the platinum.. you are paying for the labor intensive craft!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/23/2004 9:46:53 AM
Author: moremoremore
Ice- I recently bought a .50 side stone. I could barely handle the thing. I was like...if I had to work with teeny little stones for pave, I''D SHOOT MYSELF!!!
Passed by my jeweler last evening... for end of year party. His newest piece is a pair of cuffs with about 1000 bits of different shapes ''paved'' in ! Crazy ???
31.gif

Hi, TMS:

May I ask where you found that setting you mentioned?

thanks, Mary

TMS

Rough_Rock
The three sided pave was at a shop called "Homsy Jewelers" in the Jewelers building in downtown Boston. I''m not sure if they sell online, but you should be able to look them up.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results