shape
carat
color
clarity

2 carat shopping...advice needed please...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stangkilr

Rough_Rock
Certificate 17020401D
Weight 2.01 ct.
Shape ROUND BRILLIANT
Color H
Clarity SI2
Measurements 7.86 - 7.78 x 5.14 mm
Depth 65.7
Table 58.0
Crown 16.0
Pavilion 44.0
Girdle THICK TO VERY THICK FACETED
Polish GOOD
Symmetry GOOD
Fluorescence MEDIUM BLUE
Culet NONE

$11500 w/ EGL cert...decent deal?
33.gif

btw...i just saw the stone...very nice...no inclusions to the naked eye except for a few feathers which can be covered by a prong...

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
That stone is VERY deep and, thus, does not have the diameter of a 2 carat. It will probably look more like a well-cut 1.75 ct stone. The cut on this stone is definitely not the best, so it will not sparkle like a well-cut 1.75 stone. If I were you, I would put that money towards a smaller well-cut stone like this one:

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1137372.htm

Or this:

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1335314.htm

The price on the 2ct is okay given its specs, but I don't imagine it will be a really knock-out stone. Have you compared it to any other stones?

ETA Depending on where the EGL cert is from (NY, LA, Israel), there is a possibility that the stone will be off by one grade for color and/or clarity. EGL is generally considered to be more lenien than GIA and certainly AGS. I would definitley recommend taking the stone to an independent appraiser to verify that the cert is accurate.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yikes! Big fat no on that depth and the thicky girdle...keep looking!!

ETA as Dem points out, it will look alot smaller than a 2c. So you are paying for the 2c weight mark but not getting a stone that looks like it. This stone was probably cut deep AND with a thick girdle IN ORDER TO MAKE the 2c price (aka if it was a 1.90c well cut stone it would be worth less than a 2c to the seller!) but it's not going to be a great looking stone.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Here's one that's $13,105 with a pricescope discount:

2.13 carat A Cut Above H&A Diamond
Link

It scores a 1.3 on the Holloway Cut Advisor, which is fantastic! Although it's a J color, it may end up being just as white as the H which is certified by the EGL (note what Demelza pointed out in the last post).

The diameter of this stone is 8.30 compared to your stone which is 7.86. For a little more money, you get larger (not to mention larger looking) and a better cut stone. If you don't live in Texas, you won't have to pay tax, which could be the price difference right there!

Good luck, let us know what you decide.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2005 5:03:24 PM
Author: Jelly
Here''s one that''s $13,105 with a pricescope discount:

Link

It scores a 1.3 on the Holloway Cut Advisor, which is fantastic! Although it''s a J color, it may end up being just as white as the H which is certified by the EGL (note what Demelza pointed out in the last post).

The diameter of this stone is 8.30 compared to your stone which is 7.86. For a little more money, you get larger (not to mention larger looking) and a better cut stone. If you don''t live in Texas, you won''t have to pay tax, which could be the price difference right there!

Hey that''s my diamond!
9.gif

Jelly

Ideal_Rock

You better snatch it up fast Mara!

Did you see this one in person?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2005 5:08:25 PM
Author: Mara
Date: 10/12/2005 5:03:24 PM

Here''s one that''s $13,105 with a pricescope discount:

Link

It scores a 1.3 on the Holloway Cut Advisor, which is fantastic! Although it''s a J color, it may end up being just as white as the H which is certified by the EGL (note what Demelza pointed out in the last post).

The diameter of this stone is 8.30 compared to your stone which is 7.86. For a little more money, you get larger (not to mention larger looking) and a better cut stone. If you don''t live in Texas, you won''t have to pay tax, which could be the price difference right there!

Hey that''s my diamond!
9.gif

noooo! it''s mine!! (sigh)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2005 5:12:17 PM

You better snatch it up fast Mara!

Did you see this one in person?
YES..it''s very beautiful.
31.gif

stangkilr

Rough_Rock
is that a new diamond or a trade-in/refurb?

that''s not a bad price...but more than i want to spend...

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
It''s a new diamond.

If your budget is $11,000, I''d go with one of the two that Demelza picked out and you can leave the 2.13 ct diamond to Jcrow and Mara to fight over.

stangkilr

Rough_Rock
i''m in nj...how would i go about seeing that particular 2.13ct stone in person?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2005 5:23:10 PM
Author: stangkilr
i''m in nj...how would i go about seeing that particular 2.13ct stone in person?

They''ll ship it to you OR to an appraiser of your choice. If you decide not to keep it, you just ship it back!

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
I would contact Whiteflash and ask them. Some people pay for the stones shipped out to an appraiser that is local to you so that you can view the stone. I''m not sure if they do that or not. Whiteflash has a 10 day money back guarantee in case you don''t love the stone. Whiteflash return policy

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes call WF, good luck!!!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results