shape
carat
color
clarity

2.16 ct diamond....I''m so excited!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

singer

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sooo excited about this! My wonderful fiance just landed his dream job and is now making twice as much as he used to. We talked about an upgrade (a major upgrade) and we went and looked at loose diamonds at Borsheim's. We LOVED this one!!!!
30.gif
If I got this diamond, I don't think I would ever want an upgrade again. The size, in proportion to my ring finger, was absolutely perfect! I'm thinking a simple, white gold solitaire setting with my half-eternity band. What are your opinions on the specs? Is it a good depth for a round diamond? It was sooo brilliant! I can't stop thinking about it. I know he will buy it within the next month (our 7-year anniversary is fast approaching
1.gif
). He spoils me and never makes me wait very long for things that I am really excited about. I love him so much! I would take him for the rest of my life over ANY ring....but hey, if he can afford it....
31.gif

Loose Round Brilliant Diamond
2200D1156

Retail Price $30,450.00
Borsheim's Price $19,000.00

ATTENTION: If you choose the Design Your Ring function at this time, you will lose this selection.
To ensure the availability of your selection, add your choice to your shopping cart. You can always change your mind by removing your selection before purchase. Otherwise, we cannot guarantee the availability of your loose diamond selection after leaving this page. You may locate this diamond in the design your ring function.
Report Information
Shape: Round
Weight: 2.16ct
Color: H
Clarity: SI2
Laboratory: GIA
Report Number: 14333367
Table: 59%
Depth: 62.7%
Measurements: 8.20-8.27x5.16mm

Girdle: Very Thin to Slightly thick, Faceted

Culet: None

Polish: Very Good

Symmetry: Very Good

Fluorescence: None

Color: H
This fine white “H” color diamond is indistinguishable from its sister grade “G” except to a trained grader under optimal conditions. This diamond will be exquisite when set it yellow or white metal.

Clarity: SI2
Slightly included diamonds contain inclusions and blemishes that are easily detectable under 10X magnification but are typically not visible, through the crown, with the naked eye. Inclusions in the SI category generally do not affect the durability of the diamond.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2006 6:35:10 AM
Author:singer

Retail Price $30,450.00
Borsheim''s Price $19,000.00

Sure you don''t believe that bit, right?
31.gif
The price would go beautifully with a top cut AGS0, H&A 2 carat H/SI2... and the diamond on the list doesn''t sound like it is one.

Other than that... what to say without seeing the diamond or whateer stats or picture could help describe it properly online...
7.gif

Anyway. Whichever diamond you might end up with,

Congratulations for the happy news and prospective upgrade !
36.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Singer congrats on the news! Have you checked out the online vendors so you can compare? Don''t want to rush into anything, that is a lot of money and you want to get the best you can. Of course if you have seen the diamond and love it , then great, but you know we always advise shopping around don''t you?
31.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Especially if you are after a simple setting the like of which can easily be ordered everywhere...

2.11cts H/SI2 AGS0 at BN comes at 16k LINK I don't know if they check the 'eye clean' quality of their stones to tell you before making the purchase. Returns surely work, and there should be other options without anything to question about clarity: e.g. 2 carat I/SI1 'A Cut Above'

If cut is not much of a concern, I'd at least make it colorless for the money - like this E-SI2 .

Or 3 cts instead of 2 for that matter
10.gif
LINK

And who knows, I didn't look over more than 5-6 options around here and this one had the more tempting clarity plot. Besides, who knows, it may turn out to have a very nice cut although not H&A. It would take calling such a stone in at a shop that does check cut quality for you and take it from there.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
That''s wonderful news!

But as Lorelei has already said, I would want to run a few comparisons, just to make sure I was getting good value for money.

It''s a lot of money your spending, so just take your time.

Blod
35.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2006 7:50:20 AM
Author: blodthecat
That''s wonderful news!

But as Lorelei has already said, I would want to run a few comparisons, just to make sure I was getting good value for money.

It''s a lot of money your spending, so just take your time.

Blod
35.gif
Ditto. He''s willing, and you''re able to find a diamond with killer specs (with PS help of course). We like to help. Compare, compare, compare. That way, when you pull the trigger on THE ONE, you''ll know in your heart it is indeed the one. You don''t have to rush. He''s not going to pull the rug out from under you. Take your time. Post stats on anything you see. Tell us what you liked or didn''t like about it, and we''ll try to help as much as possible.

Congrats on a great upgrade.

shay

singer

Brilliant_Rock
You are all so right! I am going to be patient and look around and compare before I take the big dive. The crazy thing is (I am so indecisive
emcrook.gif
) that I am now thinking that I might want an asscher instead. The only thing is that I don't know much about asschers.

Some of my questions are:

1. Which is more popular (and more pleasing to the eye), a royal asscher or a generic asscher? I'm sure opinions will vary, but I tend to like the royal asscher a little more; however, I have not seen one in person.

2. Do royal asschers tend to be more expensive than generic asschers?

3. Does an asscher, in general, look a lot smaller than a round of the same carat weight? How much smaller?

Any feedback would be much appreciated! It's a toss up right now....either a beautiful, brilliant round OR a stunning, sophisticated asscher! Decisions, decisions...
37.gif

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Why the price difference between A and B?
12.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2006 4:40:49 PM
Author: QueenMum

Someone got mad at A and wants it out of the shop first ?
31.gif

singer

Brilliant_Rock
12.gif

What is A and what is B? I''m confused as to what you are talking about. Did I miss something?
14.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2006 4:20:13 PM
Author: singer

1. Which is more popular (and more pleasing to the eye), a royal asscher or a regular-cut asscher? I''m sure opinions will vary, but I tend to like the royal asscher a little more; however, I have not seen one in person.

2. Do royal asschers tend to be more expensive than regular asschers?

There are a few recent thread debapting this: ''guess the consensus is these are wonderful rocks, and then it is up to every and each to decide if the 30-40% premium is worth it. As much as I can tell, for larger stones this % shrinks somewhat.

Some ''generic'' asschers come close for looks, IMO, as long as the proportions match the RA''s.

3. Does an asscher, in general, look a lot smaller than a round of the same carat weight? How much smaller?

Yeah... much as I hate to admit it. But hey, rounds look small relative to marquises and pears too!
How much depends on what the spread of the asscher is. The size of these step cuts tend to vary more for any given weight than the super standardized ideal rounds do.
Considering area as ''size''... some come pretty close. Some not. IMO, below 3 cts... square step cuts about 30 pts over the weight of rounds should match the size.

And leaving the branded asschers aside, no-name square step cuts are less expensive per carat than rounds - so that compensates quite a bit. It may be that asscher look smaller for the weight, but not for the money.

My 2c...
38.gif

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Click on the links...

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
12.gif
A has some funny bubble looking things towards the 6o''clock...maybe they look diffrent in person.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2006 4:55:44 PM
Author: Matatora

12.gif
A has some funny bubble looking things towards the 6o'clock...maybe they look diffrent in person.
I saw the diamond, and it's gorgeous.
I only saw the bubble from the side (but not that easily), in direct lighting, not with the office lighting.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Playing with numbers, the size puzzle between rounds and square emerald cuts around 2 cts may look like this:

SQRTDS.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In 'nature' step cuts diamonds tend to be deeper cut - around 70% (the model above assumes about 65% and a thin-medium girdle).

Some folk like the deep cut corners and hexagonal shape of the Asschers (or at least some of those), and the slightly smaller size gets forgiven.

Cute?
772_large
2 cts, 7mm E/VS, 20k

Another 2.44 cts H-VS1 is slightly larger than the hypothetical example, and despite the higher clarity grade matches the 19k price of the SI2 round.

Well, and so forth... there's allot of 'numbers' and a tiny handful of pictures to look at
15.gif

Bottom line, if 2 cts round is OK for size, you could easily find an asscher to match it for the same money.

And if getting the largest diamond for the money is the best option after all, that would still be a pear... or marquise, not round (one because they look larger for the weight, and are pries less per carat).

One opinion, of course
34.gif

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Valeria~ Thank yoiu so much for your valuable input!!! You are incredibly helpful! I really liked that round/asscher size comparison pic. They look pretty equal in size if you ask me. Now I'm even more excited about the possibilities of getting an asscher. I always thought that asschers were quite a bit more expensive than rounds, but I guess they're not. I am going back to Borsheims sometime this week with my fiance and we are going to look at rounds and asschers. I can't wait!
36.gif

THANKS AGAIN, VALERIA AND EVERYONE ELSE WHO HAS REPLIED TO MY QUESTIONS! I REALLY APPRECIATE EVERYONE'S ADVICE.
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
You need to see some RA''s in person if possible. Some love them some think they are too busy. I have a generic for my RHR. I got the stone from GOG. The generics are a lot less than RA''s. Also when buying asschers you have to have pics. They tell so much about the stones patterns etc.. Also as Ana pointed out a 2 carat asscher will face up smaller than a RB. I am sooo excited for you. Take your time and find the stone that is right for you. Good luck and happy hunting Singer!!!
1.gif

MacClure

Brilliant_Rock
''singer''.....i''m receiving a royal asscher tomorrow (monday), and non-branded asscher wednesday. i''ll be postin'' about them if i get a chance. also, use the pscope search for ''royal asscher'' or ''asscher'' ...you''ll get tons''a readin'' and opinions...g''luck...

ron...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results