shape
carat
color
clarity

1st Gemstone Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TBjumper

Shiny_Rock

Hi everyone,

I tentatively poke my head over in this section at least once a day, but typically get a weeeee bit intimidated by my lack of knowledge to muster up the courage and post

20.gif

Well no longer my friends!!!

36.gif
I got bit by the colored bug and now I am going to need some guidance for future purchases! I purchased this from eBay (I know, I know...) and for as little as I won it for, it doesn’t have to be great, but would be a bonus if it’s nice.

I am planning on using when I am feeling festive stacked with my w-band and e-ring. Pictures to follow let me know what you think!

TBjumper

Shiny_Rock
According to the seller its 2mm with approx 1tcw in French cut emeralds with some natural inclusions.

NewEmStackRing3sized.JPG

TBjumper

Shiny_Rock
Its a size 5 and in 18k white gold.

NewEmStackRing4sized.JPG

TBjumper

Shiny_Rock

Last one... be honest!! My feelings won’t be hurt (too bad

2.gif
...) if you guys tell me it’s a dud. I just don’t want to make the same mistake twice.

Oh... and it was attempted to be delivered yesterday but darn UPS won''t leave it with out a signature, which is good, but must make 2 attempts before I can pick it up and the 2nd attempt will be at the same time as yesterdays attempt. Which means I will be sitting at work
29.gif
. I guess I have to wait one more day to go pick it up at the terminal tomorrow.

NewEmStackRing1sized.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, it’s not bad at all. As long as it isn’t overpriced, it doesn’t matter about the treatment and etc. because the stones are small but because of that, they make a pretty fun piece to wear. It won’t be an everyday ring, correct?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree. It looks like a fun ring to wear. I hope it''s lovely when you get it. Congrats!!

TBjumper

Shiny_Rock
Chrono: Thanks for the reply... nope not an everyday piece, just when I want a little pizzaz with my wedding set.

It was an easy way to start my stacking collection since my ring finger on L and R hands are the same size. I paid under 150 for it... reasonable/fair price? (oh BTW, I know thats almost impossible to answer with out knowing treatments, oil vs natural etc and what the stones them selves look like, just general..."I did or did not get ripped off" will do
2.gif
. )

Stone Hunter: Thanks for popping in! I hope its nice too, I don''t have super high expectations but would love to at least like it you know?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even if it is a synthetic or heavily treated, I think the price is fair, considering the amount of metal and the cost of labour to set it.

TBjumper

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/4/2009 11:16:38 AM
Author: Chrono
Even if it is a synthetic or heavily treated, I think the price is fair, considering the amount of metal and the cost of labour to set it.
Thanks Chrono, good enough for me! Is it worth an appraisal or just enjoy it for what it is? My problem is curiosity will get the best of me not knowing what it reallllly is. ;-)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless you have a friend who is a gemologist with the right tools and willing to do it for free, I wouldn’t sweat it.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi TBJumper and welcome to our multi-coloured world! Don''t be shy and just come on in and ask all the questions you want - that''s how we all learn (and continue to learn)!

What a lovely, unusual, ring you have there. I agree with Chrono that so long as you didn''t pay too much then you''ve got yourself a delightful ring. French cut stones are not that easy to come by so I reckon you''ve got a little beauty! What I would say (and I''m sure you''ve read this for yourself and Chrono has alluded to) is that Emeralds are a pretty soft stone and prone to chipping etc. As this is a full eternity, you will need to be careful when you wear it because the underside of the ring will be prone to damage.

Again, I''m sure you know this but DON''T put it in an ultrasonic to clean the ring. Simply get a soft toothbrush, some washing up liquid and tepid water (not hot).

Enjoy your ring and I can''t wait to see handshots - isn''t it painful when it''s so near but so far?
29.gif

TBjumper

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/4/2009 11:51:20 AM
Author: Chrono
Unless you have a friend who is a gemologist with the right tools and willing to do it for free, I wouldn’t sweat it.
Darn it!! I knew I was missing something.... we''ll just let her be for what she is then, a fun little mystery piece.
9.gif

TBjumper

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/4/2009 11:54:59 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Hi TBJumper and welcome to our multi-coloured world! Don''t be shy and just come on in and ask all the questions you want - that''s how we all learn (and continue to learn)!

What a lovely, unusual, ring you have there. I agree with Chrono that so long as you didn''t pay too much then you''ve got yourself a delightful ring. French cut stones are not that easy to come by so I reckon you''ve got a little beauty! What I would say (and I''m sure you''ve read this for yourself and Chrono has alluded to) is that Emeralds are a pretty soft stone and prone to chipping etc. As this is a full eternity, you will need to be careful when you wear it because the underside of the ring will be prone to damage.

Again, I''m sure you know this but DON''T put it in an ultrasonic to clean the ring. Simply get a soft toothbrush, some washing up liquid and tepid water (not hot).

Enjoy your ring and I can''t wait to see handshots - isn''t it painful when it''s so near but so far?
29.gif

Thanks for the warm welcome!!

35.gif
I am usually pretty confident when it comes to a topic I feel slightly educated about, colored stones... not so much. Will take me a bit to find my voice over here! I feel like I have a pretty good handle on diamonds, but openly admit when you start getting to the nitty gritty numbers like ratios and the like I am still kinda lost.

Colored Stones however...ouch! My brain hurts! Each one has their own little personality (not that diamonds don''t but heck at least they are the same species!) I feel like each different gem is its own little beautiful sparkly alien where no two rules apply!

Can someone educate me on the "French cut" is this the same if it were done to a diamond?
And thanks for the ultrasonic heads up. Can I put emeralds in cleaning solutions made for diamonds or is that a big no-no as well??

And YESSSSS the suspense is killing me!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2009 12:13:06 PM
Author: TBjumper

Date: 12/4/2009 11:54:59 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds

29.gif

Thanks for the warm welcome!!

35.gif
I am usually pretty confident when it comes to a topic I feel slightly educated about, colored stones... not so much. Will take me a bit to find my voice over here! I feel like I have a pretty good handle on diamonds, but openly admit when you start getting to the nitty gritty numbers like ratios and the like I am still kinda lost.

Colored Stones however...ouch! My brain hurts! Each one has their own little personality (not that diamonds don''t but heck at least they are the same species!) I feel like each different gem is its own little beautiful sparkly alien where no two rules apply!

Can someone educate me on the ''French cut'' is this the same if it were done to a diamond?
And thanks for the ultrasonic heads up. Can I put emeralds in cleaning solutions made for diamonds or is that a big no-no as well??

And YESSSSS the suspense is killing me!

I think it''ll be lovely and a good price for 18k gold. You''ll just have to be careful when you wear it.

Don''t put the ring in cleaning solutions made for diamonds. I think others with more emerald pieces will chime in on how to take care of the ring, else you can do a search on emerald care.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results