shape
carat
color
clarity

1920''s Estate Euro Cut Appraisal - need advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

buddyllama

Rough_Rock
I just received a gorgeous estate diamond ring purchased from a reputable family jewelry business.

They appraised it at $4500

It has a center stone surrounded by 20 - .03 diamonds and 4 small emeralds in a platinum setting.

The center stone looks to be about 1ct (maybe larger) by looking at it. I have a.97 brilliant cut diamond and the estate one seems to be larger.

However, the appraisal says it''s only .63 pts. I find that it has to be wrong. A friend of mine bought a ring from them with a .59 center stone and it appears WAY smaller than mine.

I LOVE the ring. I do worry if I turn this appraisal in to my insurance company and I would lose my stone that it would be replaced with a stone 1/2 the size.

What should I do?

Thanks!

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Buddy,
Did you contact the jeweler and voice your concern? It could have been an error. If they don''t have any additional information regarding the diamond,I would stop by the store and have them examine the diamond again and measure the diameter and depth. At least give the store the opportunity to correct any misinformation on your appraisal...if in fact that is the case.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

buddyllama

Rough_Rock
I''m sorry. I had to take it in to get sized and brought up my concern. They are going to re-measure and I should be able to pick it up tomorrow.

If they say "that''s what it is" - and I feel so much that there is something "off" - what do I do? I don''t want to return the ring - I love it!

Should I have it looked at by an independent appraiser? If yes, how much does that typically cost?

Thanks,
Buddy

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I have an OEC round stone, and it also appraised at smaller than it looks. it looks like a out .75 or more to me and appraised at .6 something. Maybe that cut is spreadier than the RBs of today?
Sounds like yours is off from what you''d expect by a lot. I hope the can correct any problem or at least explain it to you in a way you are satisfied with. Here''s a question, did appraise for more than you paid? If so you are probably OK unless you feel you got the deal of the century on the ring.
When I''ve had things appraised it has typically cost about $90.
Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results