shape
carat
color
clarity

18K or 14K white gold?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alirogers20

Rough_Rock
I have two quotes for a shared prong enagement set that differ by $250. The prices are VERY reasonable, and the jeweler said he would not discourage me from getting 14K, but that 18K was preferable.

Thoughts?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, I''m one of those who thinks of 14K as reserved for costume jewelry. For an engagement ring, go for 18K.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
It''s been almost 15 years, but I went to 18k for my wife''s ring.

But then, like Hest, I am a snob.
9.gif

alirogers20

Rough_Rock
just making sure

THANKS!

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
Taken from the website 24carat.co.uk - hope this helps.

What About 14 Carat?
OK, Fourteen carat is an improvement on nine carat, and yes, it does contain more gold (58.3%) than copper, but it still tarnishes, and it too can be brittle.
If you look at the percentage by volume, 14 carat still contains more base metal than gold!

Some observant folk may notice that 14 carat golds are quite hard as cast, and this is fairly accurate. In fact this can make 14 carat slightly difficult to work with in some manufacturing processes, especially for jewellers working mainly with 9 carat or 18 carat alloys. However, you will also notice that the 18 carat alloys tend to be hardenable to a higher figure than 14 carat, and providing that both standards had been correctly worked and conditioned, then the 18 carat alloys would almost always be both harder and harder wearing
American Alloys
Theoretically, these should be the same as English or International standards, however as the USA is still, to the best of our knowledge, using a law about two centuries out of date, from when testing was not quite as accurate as today, American jewellers are allowed a half carat tolerance. Fairly naturally they take this tolerance and use it to legally supply sub-standard alloys, and this adds to their profits. Because of this, if an American jeweller wishes to promote his jewellery more honestly and accurately, it becomes necessary for them to indicate this in some way, so that they add the word "plumb" after the fineness

TLS

Shiny_Rock
I thought I had heard before that 14k for white gold might be preferable sometimes because the yellowness is less likely to show as quickly when the rhodium wears down because it has more white alloys in it than 18k. 18k white gold is going to look more yellowish when the rhodium plating wears off - isn''t that one reason some people prefer 14k white? can anyone tell me whether this is true?

alirogers20

Rough_Rock
I think that what you said about 14K v. 18K is backward, at least from what I heard today. 18K should be less likely to yellow, and better long-term.

Hope that helps!

allan creates

Rough_Rock
Rhodium is a cover up for low-grade white gold.
Pure gold can only absorb so much nickel then any excess nickel won’t dissolve into the mix.

Hence 18K white gold would be brighter than 14K white gold if it has the right percentage of nickel content. It also cannot be melted more than once and must not be over heated as the nickel gets burned and that is what causes the gold to be brittle.

A rich nickel mix is also very finicky to work with.
One must be very knowledgeable in the melting of white gold. That is why you don’t see much of the right stuff. It is easier to use low grade and cover it up with rhodium and everybody accepts it as the norm.

Now you know why most avoid the trouble and use the low-grade
And cover it up with rhodium

A good white gold mix 14K or 18K should be able to be twisted without cracking and bright too no rhodium needed.

I’m sure you have all noticed that all the best things seem to be yesteryear no matter what it may be, (food or product) in the stores when you see something good you can be sure it will be discontinued.

Allan Creates
ringlock.com
Where the best is still available.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results