shape
carat
color
clarity

18ct WG 1.75ct Emerald ring - possible to resize?

gtstcactus

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone,

I'm new here.... I recently purchased a ring in an estate auction, I got a pretty good deal on it. It is an 18ct white gold ring with a 1.75ct emerald. It's quite a chunky ring weighing 9.6 grams. The emerald is described as a "rub over set emerald cut natural emerald, colour is light, slightly grayish, clarity is Type III-I1." The emerald measures 7 mm x 6.7 mm x 4.6 mm. The head of the ring is 14 .2 mm across and at the bottom of the ring the band is 4.6 mm across. The band is white gold and the emerald is collet set in yellow gold.

I really like the ring but it is a quite a bit too small for me. I'm still waiting for it to arrive so am unable to take it to a jewellers for an in hand opinion on resizing yet.

Currently the ring is a size N (New Zealand size) which I believe is a 6 3/4 USA size, to keep and wear the ring myself it would have to be resized to at least a V (NZ size) which is 10 3/4 USA size..... Is this possible?? I really want to keep it for myself rather than sell it for a quick dollar. Emeralds are my favourite stone, I've wanted an emerald ring since I was a child, but never managed to get one (mainly due to the cost of what I like). I know it is not be the best emerald in the world, but it's what I've got. I'd prefer not to have the entire thing remade into something new if possible, but don't want some stupid looking egg shaped ring.

It was valued / appraised last month for the seller, I emailed the appraiser about resizing it and was told "Because the shoulders have hollow backs there will be some difficulty in enlarging it into a fully round size. To be honest it will end up more of an oval shape. As far as removing the emerald is concerned, we would have to show the ring to our jeweller to determine this."

The appraiser is in a different city from me so I won't be taking it there, I just wanted an idea and am now unsure if his response means it can be done but it will be hard, or it is to hard to be done.

_5920.jpg

_5921.jpg

_5922.jpg

_5923.jpg

gtstcactus

Rough_Rock
more pics.....

_5924.jpg

_5925.jpg

_5926.jpg

_5927.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
you can take to a local jeweller - shouldn't be an issue to resize an 18k wg band. If you are sizing up - it will probably cost more than sizing down.

gtstcactus

Rough_Rock
It's not just a plain band, it's the emerald ring pictured....

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
She means the band of the emerald ring is plain gold without stones, so it shouldn't be difficult to size it up or down accordingly.

gtstcactus

Rough_Rock
Ok then I'll keep my fingers crossed that my local jeweller can do the job without it ending up a funny shape!

pandabee said:
She means the band of the emerald ring is plain gold without stones, so it shouldn't be difficult to size it up or down accordingly.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The emerald complicates things as well as the considerable size difference. To resize, the ring's circumference would have to be changed significantly, which could shift the bezel and stress or crack the emerald, specially since there is already an internal crack near the edge of the stone (quite normal for emerald but it does increase the risk).

Since the bezel is already pretty beat up, would you consider removing the stone, resizing the ring and rebuilding the bezel? It will be more expensive but the stone will be safer (even though it will have to be reset) and the bezel will be perfect, without the ragged edges it has now.

gtstcactus

Rough_Rock
I got quite it for quite a good price so I don't mind spending a bit extra tidying it up as well as making sure the resizing is done in the best, safest way possible. I don't want to have the stone wrecked as a result of trying to do it budget style, rebuilding the bezel would look really good your idea sounds like a really good one. It would make for a good end result, if it can be done. It should arrive on Thursday / Friday so I will take it to my Jeweller and see what he thinks.

Thanks for your post!

Lady_Disdain said:
The emerald complicates things as well as the considerable size difference. To resize, the ring's circumference would have to be changed significantly, which could shift the bezel and stress or crack the emerald, specially since there is already an internal crack near the edge of the stone (quite normal for emerald but it does increase the risk).

Since the bezel is already pretty beat up, would you consider removing the stone, resizing the ring and rebuilding the bezel? It will be more expensive but the stone will be safer (even though it will have to be reset) and the bezel will be perfect, without the ragged edges it has now.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results