shape
carat
color
clarity

14k White Gold Setting and Platinum Head and Prongs????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Brett257

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

I have a 14k white gold setting which the young lady loves. I was told by Tim at Good Old Gold that a platinum head can only be attached to a 18k white gold setting, is this correct?

Also, should I get a 6 prong head or a 4 prong head? Will a gold head and prongs be strong enough if I can''t get platinum? I want the diamond to be very secure. It will be a round cut diamond.

Thanks,
Brett

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would probably look into getting an 18k setting if at all possible. I have a 14K WG ring that shows the yellow from the gold. It''s just a band i wear to the pool etc. and not worth replating but if it were my engagement ring i''d want something that would keep the nice white metal color a little longer.

Brett257

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the reply. I''m not sure it is available in 18k white gold. I got it at Jared''s and it was either 14k white gold for $229 or platinum for $1100. I tried to find out who made it when I got it, but they wouldn''t/couldn''t tell me.

The only benefit is they will rhodium plate it and resize and reshank it for lifetime for a one time fee of $44.99 which seems reasonable. Or is it?

Thanks,
Brett

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
ahh. well, if she loves the setting and you can''t put a plat. head on it, i''d just leave it as is. I''m sure there are plenty of 14K WG rings out there that hold up just fine
1.gif

I think it costs around $20 - $30 to replate a ring so the lifetime offer might be a good one...

koko

Shiny_Rock
Hi, Brett....we got my 14k white gold bands at Shane Co. & they will re-plate with rhodium/re-size for life @ no extra charge.....there is also a company out of Rhode Island called W.R. Cobb who makes white gold that never has to be re-plated (in 14k & 18k)....the website is www.precisewhitegold.com

Brett257

Rough_Rock
Bump...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results