shape
carat
color
clarity

10th wedding anniversary holiday - Take 2! HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, hubby and I were dead set on going to Vietnam for our 10th anniversary holiday, did a bunch of research inclg posting here on PS (thanks for all the suggestions btw) and even booked the flights, hotels etc. Then just before we were due to pay our deposit, a work acquaintance contacted me to say their firm needed me on and off for the next 2 yrs working on this project in Vietnam (well, sometimes I''ll be based in VN, sometimes I will do it from Singapore). So now we''re not going to VN anymore for our holiday, not if I''m going to spend a bunch of time working there.

We''re back to square one. An Australian friend suggested going to Australia, maybe Margaret River with its abundant wineries and eating places (since we love good food and wine) or the Great Barrier Reef. The weather will be nice and pleasant then (July) - not too hot not too cold - and it''ll be low season which is what we want. I did some research on Margaret River but couldn''t find any nice ultra luxury accomodation (they all seem to be "guest houses" or family-type apartments), whilst the Great Barrier Reef does seem to offer some 5 star resorts (inclg the one with the link below). Neither DH nor I have been to these parts of Australia and are not sure if the 5-star resorts (if there are any in Margaret River) in either of these two locations will live up to expectations and whether they''re even remotely comparable to those in the Maldives.

To reiterate what I posted before, we''d like somewhere luxurious/ high-end (it is after all our 10th! :)), with good food, good wine, fantastic accomodation and views (private villas preferable). We also like spas, work-out facilities, watersports, golf (if possible but not necessary). BUT we''re not fussed if we end up doing absolutely nothing (apart from getting the odd massage or facial! he he). Oh, and we hate crowded places, just want to chill out!
3.gif
1.gif

We need help desperately since July is just around the corner and if we don''t get our skates on we might end up just staying in S''pore and not going anywhere (as much as we love S''pore and our newish home, we''d really like to get away
2.gif
1.gif
).

I''d like to hear from any Aussies out there or anyone who knows Australia well. Thanks.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Harriet. Great minds think alike. I did some more research and found this:

http://www.bedarraisland-australia.com/accommodation.html

I like The Point but it is horrendously expensive. We''ve decided to go to the Maldives, Four Seasons after all. What''s great is that we can still go to VN too some time afterwards, to both Da Lat and Nha Trang, as part of my project there, and most probably will. It''s working out well ...
1.gif

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
Lien, as you know, you can hardly go wrong with the Maldives. I''ve not been, but the pictures a friend brought back were breathtaking. Have a great time!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/14/2007 11:44:31 AM
Author: Clio
Lien, as you know, you can hardly go wrong with the Maldives. I''ve not been, but the pictures a friend brought back were breathtaking. Have a great time!
Thanks, Clio, we will! Actually, we''ve been to the Maldives before and fell in love with it. This is one of the reasons why we''re going back. Will definitely post pics. Will also post pics and post abt VN too after we''ve been there (I remember yr last posts
1.gif
).

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve always wanted to go to the Maldives!

I would have suggested Lizard Island in Oz...never been there, probably because I hear it''s too posh for my tastes. Happy 10th!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2007 11:16:17 AM
Author: lienTN
Thanks, Harriet. Great minds think alike. I did some more research and found this:

I like The Point but it is horrendously expensive. We've decided to go to the Maldives, Four Seasons after all. What's great is that we can still go to VN too some time afterwards, to both Da Lat and Nha Trang, as part of my project there, and most probably will. It's working out well ...
1.gif
I'm drooling.
Please send more posh Aussie resorts my way.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/14/2007 11:58:05 AM
Author: TravelingGal
I''ve always wanted to go to the Maldives!

I would have suggested Lizard Island in Oz...never been there, probably because I hear it''s too posh for my tastes. Happy 10th!
I will make sure to post plenty of pics and details when we come back (but not all the details though, he he, if you know what I mean?
2.gif
).

Check this out: http://www.lizardisland-australia.com/accommodation.html. It''s definitely on our list of places to visit.

And thanks!
1.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/14/2007 6:41:17 PM
Author: Harriet

Date: 6/14/2007 11:16:17 AM
Author: lienTN

I like The Point but it is horrendously expensive. We''ve decided to go to the Maldives, Four Seasons after all. What''s great is that we can still go to VN too some time afterwards, to both Da Lat and Nha Trang, as part of my project there, and most probably will. It''s working out well ...
1.gif
I''m drooling.
Please send more posh Aussie resorts my way.
I like quite a few of the Queensland Islands, inclg Lizard, Peppers Palm Bay, etc. Would love to go to Tasmania too.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Lien it will be very cold there its our winter and it could get as low 50. Here is a luxury resort near Margaret River
called Bunker Bay it is stunning

BQBQUA1_bg.jpg

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
hotel

BQBQUA5_bg.jpg

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
For warmth as other have siad the islands are the go. The further north you go the warmer it gets. This is bedarra Island whic we stayed on it was wonderully luxurious

http://www.bedarraisland.com/

here is Bunker bay details

beb09.jpg

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
More Bedarra

beb12.jpg

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Last one

beb_pav4.jpg

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Whoopsie I did'nt read the last part that you are going to the Maldives
6.gif
. That will be awesome
Anyhoo these eyecandy shots are great just to remember what it was like and for any interested pricescopers.
Speaking of wineries I have just come back from a weekend in the clare valley of south Australia sampling Riesling and staying at this wonderful country house

thornpark1.jpg

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
katebar,
More eye-candy please! We''d like to return to Sydney (my favourite place in the world) and combine the trip with a visit to a resort. Any suggestions? Bedarra looks wonderful.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, Kate!! Thansk for the wonderful suggestions and beautiful photos. Yes, we''re going to the Maldives (it''s a 360 degree turn for us, actually). But for sure we''ll visit a few of the Queensland Islands and Margaret River at some point. We absolutely LOVE Australia, have been to quite a few places but there are so many places to see. Australia is such a huge country with so many and diverse places and amazing landscapes. The food and wine are always superb. Can''t wait to go on our next Oz holiday. Are you an Australian by any chance? If so, you lucky devil!
36.gif

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Yes I am Lien. I orginanlly come from South Australia which has an amazing number of wine growing areas. Clare Valley Barossa Valley Mclaren Vale and the Coonawarra all catering for world vistors. I have also spent a bit of time in Magaret River and it is a spectacular place. I''ve never been to the Hunter Valley but I hear it wonderfu too Now I live in Queensland and I love this area too! But I also love northern NSW and in particualr Byron Bay which is the most awesome place with fine dining and stunning views.
I''d be happy to help with any Aussie holiday ideas
31.gif
so ask away!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, I just saw this thread. Katebar, your pictures are a dream!!!!

Lien have fun in the Maldives
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results