shape
carat
color
clarity

1000 Pictures Later -Photos

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

xlent

Rough_Rock
I have taken many photos and I am getting better I think..I chose these few to show..but all have faults.
THIS IS ARTIFICIAL LIGHT...no flash.. ..(whole lot of shakin goin on)

gt1.png

xlent

Rough_Rock
ARTIFICIAL LIGHT..no flash, no daylight..Another photo taken during the same session.

gt2.png

xlent

Rough_Rock
Natural Daylight..the ring is balanced on a thin board. The board is actually level.

gt.png

xlent

Rough_Rock
LED LIGHT..I had finished downloading the camera and I laid the ring on the keyboard part of the laptop. Just for fun I took a few quick shots while another person held an LED flashlight pointed at the ring..The light source was about 4 feet away. I was taking fast shots and I turned the ring..focused the camera and took the picture. I didn''t really realize it was blue because the ring is very small in the viewfinder..until I dowloaded and resized the pictures.
There weren''t any tinted windows or sunlight/sky that could reflect. I don''t know why the ring does this color..It is a reflection of some sort I am certain. It is pretty and unusual so I am posting it. Blue is just something this ring does..and it is as "in the ring" as the red..

gt7.png

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting...I am sure I have read a previous posting on it but forgot...What stone is it?

xlent

Rough_Rock
It is Garnet..
It is a lovely pomegranet/ blood red garnet that is always doing "something."
Lately it has been turning "blue."
IT is not a color-change..it is just some trick of the light..
It has always turned "pale lavender" almost bluish white but since I had the ring reset, it turns shades of blue. It is reflection I am certain. but still..intersting because when it is blue..it is blue, whatever the source..which I haven't detemined yet exactly.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does your camera have macro mode (the little flower icon).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To prevent the shaking, (for a beginner like me), I prefer to have the ring sit on a flat surface and use a tripod for the camera. Also using the macro mode (tulip icon) will give your picture a great deal of detail which we cannot make out whatsoever at the moment.

xlent

Rough_Rock
Thanks..I chose these photos for the color. I do have the tulip setting ...Because this stone is not a standard one color, clear..I have been setting lights..and then moving around the ring, snapping photos then looking at them on the computer to see what light/angle/camera setup works the best. Now I know something about light and color..I can set the lights, have the ring stationary and concentrate on focus..IT is a hard stone to photograph for color..It isn't "one color" and it is clear..but it washes out and is as reflective as a mirror at some angles and in some lights.

The Blue..This is what I think..When I bought that stone it was in a very thin setting..very open and the color would wash out..to a pale lavender. I thought it was reflection...or a window or..some poor quality of the stone. I never show my ring to people..saying.."Look at my garnet" because this stone has a color range of pale violet -rose red -dead red -orange..and no telling what it will look like when I flash it.
Consider if you bought a demantoid..it should be Green but IF in certain lights it turned bluish green or pale yellowish green..Now..in this garnet which used to "wash out" to pale lavender ..now that is reset..the pale lavender "wash out" picks up a blue shade that is pretty and interesting. It would be as if the demantiod, instead of turning pale bluish green turned turquoise or some interesting shade.
That is what I think about the "new blue" because the stone has always "washed out" to lavender.
I get tired of apologizing for this stone...It is always something different and I never know what color it is going to be..

xlent

Rough_Rock
OK..put it all together..focus - tulip - sunlight - ring set down and steady --tripod --and a more artistic background
Thanks For the TIPS And Thanks for looking

gt8.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Xlent. I can finally see the entire package as a single jewellery item now.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
what a great photo - thank you for sharing!

xlent

Rough_Rock
THANK YOU ALL FOR THE TIPS - THE ENCOURAGEMENT AND THE PATIENCE WITH MY EFFORTS..
I never used the camera except for "family" photos.."everybody line up and say cheese" or quick snaps of large and cooperative subjects..
Now I am thinking of trying birds and bugs
This is fun and it took some work, thought and a lot of help from the kind and generous people on this forum but I am getting better! It still isn't perfect but ...that is for the next 1000 pictures :)

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All that I can tell is that it is a lovely ring!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very pretty. It takes me ages to get at least one decent shot. I think I must take 20 photos just to get one I can post!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results