shape
carat
color
clarity

$100 to spend, help? :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kayla.tastikk

Shiny_Rock
I have $100-115 to spend from my birthday this past Friday, and I *think* I''ve narrowed it down to these five... Any other suggestions are definitely welcome
1.gif

The First One

The First One Also

The Second One

I don''t really mind the inclusions, but I like the color?

The Bottom One

As you can tell, I''m not picky on species
28.gif

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I like the Peter Torraca amethyst personally, but they''re all nice. The opposed bar garnet would be my second choice. I don''t like orange that much, so that''s why I''m not a big fan of the first 2. Inclusions bother me, so I wouldn''t pick the emerald. But that''s just my personal preference.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like the ammy and emerald!

kayla.tastikk

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/21/2010 6:02:14 PM
Author: RockHugger
I like the ammy and emerald!

Do you think the emerald''s color will out weigh its inclusions? I''ve never bought one, but I like the color.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Because you keep bringing up the inclusions I would think they bother you a bit. Most emeralds have ''em, and if you dont like inclusions then an emerald isnt the best way to go.

The color is good. Not the best top color, but it is a nice green IMO.

kayla.tastikk

Shiny_Rock
I think I''ll put off on an emerald until I can afford a nicer quality and/or bigger one. Ringht now I''m leaning towards the ammy or the fancy tourm.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the amethyst. Are you on the hunt for a specific project?

kayla.tastikk

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/21/2010 6:25:26 PM
Author: packrat
I like the amethyst. Are you on the hunt for a specific project?

Nope, just building my loose collection. I''ve got quite a few that will/would get set before whichever one I pick right now. Though, the reason I''m drawn to the above colors the most is I don''t have any orange or purple ones... lol, I''m looking for color balance :razz:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
gotcha! I say balance it w/the cool cut of the amethyst
9.gif

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Personally, I''d buy the amethyst. My second choice would be the emerald; it''s so tiny that the inclusions won''t show much - but it''s also a bit too tiny for me, so I''d snag the amy.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I vote for the amethyst too!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d say, the garnet.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I would not go for the Peter Torraca amethyst because I prefer deeper amethyst. That particular stone is more remarkable for its interesting cut rather than its color. It is a pretty typical color for an amethyst. The garnet also has a fairly typical color, but I think its color is more pleasing to me and the opposed bar cut is more interesting to me as well. Hands down, I would purchase the emerald. Most emeralds are oiled as standard treatment, so seem to be less included. This emerald is not oiled. The an emerald with obvious jardin but a fine color is more prized than an cleaner emerald of lesser color. And since you''re looking to add to your collection, its slightly off calibrated size won''t make it necessary to look for a custom setting.

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
I''m with Crasu, the garnet.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would also go for the garnet. Second runner up would be the frosted citrine, as the colour seems very nice (at least on my monitor).

I would skip the amethyst, as the colour isn''t doing much for me. The emerald would be a possibility, as the colour is nice (and no treatment!) but I would consinder saving for a larger one.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/22/2010 5:27:01 PM
Author: dzop
I think the amethyst is ugly. To spend $100 on that when you could get this guy for $130 is...silly...

http://www.rwwise.com/products/id|1597
Personally, I think the RW Wise amethyst is too dark, but the cut is beautiful.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
the garnet, but to be honest, I'd save a little more so you can get a spectacular stone you love.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
1st choice garnet, 2nd choice tourmaline (in case you have an opposed bar cut something).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results