shape
carat
color
clarity

1.8 Harry Winston or Larger (2.5+) "non-designer" ring???

FuturePsyD

Shiny_Rock
Re: 1.8 Harry Winston or Larger (2.5+) "non-designer" ring??

Charmypoo: so the modified cushion has the more "crushed ice" appearance, in your opinion? i really need to look further into the cushions HW carries. As I said, that's why I'm nervous about having a ring customized, I don't like all the research that goes into. But it seems, even with HW i need to look further into it. I heard the antique cushions are not as bright and i really don't like antique looking stones/rings. I love the icy white appearance with tons of fire.

Kikidoe: Yes! We certainly do have the same avatar! :bigsmile: But you are one HUGE step ahead of me and also have the real deal. Congratulations, you are a lucky girl. I saw your thread a few days ago and admired your breathtaking HW micropave. It looks just perfect on your hand! What size do you wear? Also, do you happen to know which type of cushion cut you got? I know they really try to push the modified cushion and that's mostly what i've seen in their store.
Are you happy with the 1.8 size or would you have gone larger if you hadn't purchased a HW? I agree that if I were to go with a non-HW, I would always feel like something is missing. And the peace of mind of purchasing from HW is also a very big deal for us. I also worry, like you did, that if we have something made, in the end it would never measure up. Not to mention all the time it takes to research and have the ring custom made. With HW, we are certain we love it and there are no worries attached to it. Do you know which wedding band you're going to pair with it?

Decodelighted: yeah, the Bachelor connection really doesn't bug me. But thank goodness they have moved on to Neil Lane! :))
I do remember the beautiful Asscher from Sex n The City. Around the same time my brother proposed with a 2 carat asscher, but thankfully no one linked the show and my sister in laws ring together. I'm happy you got the ring you wanted despite the show! By the way, the puppy in your avatar is way too cute!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

To me, all modified cushions have the crushed ice look. Harry Winston has nice cushions too. You just need too look and compare. I have a modern eight main cushion and a chunky cushion. Both are beautiful. My chunky cushion is an e and icy white.

kikidoe

Rough_Rock

FuturePsyD said:
Kikidoe: Yes! We certainly do have the same avatar! :bigsmile: But you are one HUGE step ahead of me and also have the real deal. Congratulations, you are a lucky girl. I saw your thread a few days ago and admired your breathtaking HW micropave. It looks just perfect on your hand! What size do you wear? Also, do you happen to know which type of cushion cut you got? I know they really try to push the modified cushion and that's mostly what i've seen in their store.
Are you happy with the 1.8 size or would you have gone larger if you hadn't purchased a HW? I agree that if I were to go with a non-HW, I would always feel like something is missing. And the peace of mind of purchasing from HW is also a very big deal for us. I also worry, like you did, that if we have something made, in the end it would never measure up. Not to mention all the time it takes to research and have the ring custom made. With HW, we are certain we love it and there are no worries attached to it. Do you know which wedding band you're going to pair with it?

Thanks, FuturePsyD! Congratulations to you, too!

My ring is size 5, although I feel 4.75 will probably fit better when I'm in my office where A/C is strong. :)
I did not have the feeling that they were pushing the modified cushion. The first 2 rings we saw were 1 modified and 1 not modified cushion. And the loose diamond they searched for us was also not modified as requested by us. The one we finally got is not modified. We actually asked the SA if HW carried more modified cushion than not modified. The answer is about 50-50.
I am very happy with the 1.8ct. No regrests at all! Actually all my friends were woo-ahhing and no one remembered to ask about the size when they first saw the ring. We liked a 2.18ct diamond someone from the diamond district found for us. If we had decided to go with a non-HW, we probably would end up getting that one. So, yes, we would have got a larger one if we hadn't purchased a HW. ;-)
I have not decided on the wedding band. I am not too crazy about a matching wedding band. I may end up wearing the wedding band on my left hand and the e-ring on my right since the micropave itself is so gorgeous that I feel wearing it alone is the best to show its beauty.

I'm sure you will find what you want. You just need to tell them what exactly you are looking for and need a little patience. And don't forget to post pictures once you get it!

betty6333

Shiny_Rock

If you want a HW, I would say get it. It will be a beautiful ring, as HW makes amazing rings!

Personally I am a size fan. I would get a HW wedding band, and the 2.5+ non designer ring. But what really matters is that you would be happy.
If I were to get a HW 1.8 carat, although I am sure it would be absolutely lovely, but I would look at it and smile, but I know over time I would be thinking about a 2.5 + ct stone that I could have put in an equally aesthetically pleasing ring for the same money. I would definitely look into the upgrade policy at the very least, so that if a few years down the road you are able to get the size you want you can trade up.

I have been married 10 years, and wish I had gotten the size diamond I wanted when we married, instead of the upgrades that seemed to follow as DSS set in! When I married the diamond was big enough, but I have had to change settings to accommodate the larger upgrade, and of course the settings didnt work when I got the larger diamond that would make my heart skip a beat!

My current ring I had custom made, I love knowing that it is the only one out there like it.

Having said all this , all that matters is what YOU want. You are the one who wears the ring and you are the only one who can decide what is best FOR you!
Best of luck!
Betty

FuturePsyD

Shiny_Rock

Kikidoe: You're right. I just need to compare the different cushions that they carry to see the difference. Most certainly they will assist me in getting whatever it is that I choose. The BH location gets a lot of business and they typically don't have many micropaves in stock, so I've mainly been shown the modified cuts and they kind of brushed me off, although politely, when I asked about other options for center stone. They simply said the modified is the most popular and what they are "known for" So I'm just going to be more persistent next time I talk to the SA about my options.

In re to the wedding band, I don't particularly want the micropave band. It's just "cute" to me as opposed to beautiful. I love HW's Rock Bands, such stand out wedding bands. I tried them on with the micropave ER and it did NOT look good together IMO. The band is so large it was pushing heavily against the ER and the gap was just too big. Unfortunately, it looked clunky on my finger. Your idea is a good option, to wear the ER on right finger and the wedding band on the left. More and more ladies seem to be doing that these days. When my day comes, I will certainly post pics of my ER and share the exciting news. Enjoy your HW and wear it in good health! :)

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

2261348130031751182WVq44Djc_ph.jpg

Here's another Harry Winston. Maybe this is what the Jones mean when they get upset about "small" diamonds. :nono:

BTW, I wanted to clarify my post to say that I don't think Harry Winston "owns" this particular style, just that theirs is unique, and if you like it, I say there's nothing wrong with that. (Yes, they do have different cuts, other than the different specifications you can get, you can get it with or without a culet).

Please post pictures of whatever you get? Thanks! :))

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

Imdanny said:
2261348130031751182WVq44Djc_ph.jpg

Here's another Harry Winston. Maybe this is what the Jones mean when they get upset about "small" diamonds. :nono:

BTW, I wanted to clarify my post to say that I don't think Harry Winston "owns" this particular style, just that theirs is unique, and if you like it, I say there's nothing wrong with that. (Yes, they do have different cuts, other than the different specifications you can get, you can get it with or without a culet).

Please post pictures of whatever you get? Thanks! :))

Well thank you for causing me to pass out on my keyboard :-o That diamond is TDF! Thanks for sharing, Imdanny ;))

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I just saw that rock band - holy moley! I'd agree it's way to chunky for the micropave. But that on your right hand and the HW micropave, you'd still be sporting plenty of bling!!! I thumbs up that idea!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

You're welcome. ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results