shape
carat
color
clarity

1/2 carat family diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dancingqueen

Shiny_Rock
I inherited my grandmother''s diamond (about 8 years ago) and had it set into a platinum x-prong ring that I wore on my right hand. After a few years, I didn''t like the look of the prongs (seemed too much like an e-ring) so I had a local jeweler turn it into a half-bezel (my inspiration was the Tiffany etoile). Now, I''m thinking about doing something different. Is it possible to turn the platinum setting into a plain band? It is currently the type of band that is flat on the underside to prevent spinning (not sure of the correct term for this). And, how would you set a half carat diamond that you want to wear daily? I already have a bezel pendant with a one carat stone that was my other grandmother''s so a necklace is not really what I want to do. I think I want something more substancial on my right hand, but I really don''t have any good ideas at this point.

Any ideas? Thanks...

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I would either:

a) buy a matching diamond and wear them as studs
b) have it bezeled and set as a pendant.

dancingqueen

Shiny_Rock
It''s an old diamond with a different cut. I think it''s called "old mine cut"? I''ve always assumed it would be difficult to find another stone to make earrings.

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
What about setting the half carat as a pendant and turning the 1 carat into the RHR?

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Do you like vintage styles? There are some beautiful "dinner ring" settings on whitehousebrothers.com that I drool over (I''m especially ga ga over the ones with sapphires), and here''s a link to another idea that would really play up 1/2 stone (unfortunately the diamond is included with this particular ring) on Fay Cullen''s website: http://www.faycullen.com/engagement_rings/800/d1025r8d.html

Filigree and sidestones could definitely bump up the overall size and not look like a (traditional) e-ring. And while I love the vintage cuts no matter how they''re set, I think the vintage cut and vintage setting paired together is always stunning.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2008 11:18:23 PM
Author: bem3231
What about setting the half carat as a pendant and turning the 1 carat into the RHR?

Ditto...that''s a great idea! I''d do something like a halo or a vintagey setting so it looks less engagementy.

dancingqueen

Shiny_Rock

Thanks for the ideas!

The one carat stone is a much lower quality and color and I’m afraid it’s not well suited for a ring. I don’t know why I think that since it was my grandmother’s ring, but I don’t think I would be happy wearing it as a ring. Plus, I’ve been wearing it as a bezel pendant for about ten years now and I don’t think I would want to downsize. I should probably leave it in the existing setting and investigate a new right-hand ring for times when I don’t want to wear this one.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Maybe a 3 stone ring with colored sides? Or a halo?

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Mustang! If you do the 3 stone, maybe you could use your birthstone or your grandma''s as the two sidestones...
Love this halo..

michaelbtresroundpavehalovvvvvvvvvvvv.jpg

dancingqueen

Shiny_Rock
My birthstone (and my grandmother''s) is a ruby. I don''t have any ruby jewelery so maybe...

Angel -- I love that setting. Where did you find it?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
that is from Michael B.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Ooooh, a ruby three-stone would be gorgeous. Would you be wearing this ring every day, though? I thought I read on the color stone board that rubies are too soft for every day wear...but I might be confused on that. I love this Fay Cullen ring, too - a color halo could be very pretty. http://www.faycullen.com/royal_collection/500/519mdr.html

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Halo halo halo! Maybe a ruby halo like this one from Fay Cullen? I love old cuts, I say wear it as a ring!

DD
35.gif

OECwithrubies.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2008 3:27:48 PM
Author: Elmorton
Ooooh, a ruby three-stone would be gorgeous. Would you be wearing this ring every day, though? I thought I read on the color stone board that rubies are too soft for every day wear...but I might be confused on that. I love this Fay Cullen ring, too - a color halo could be very pretty. http://www.faycullen.com/royal_collection/500/519mdr.html
Hey I just noticed we posted the same ring elmorton! Great minds think alike!

I think that rubies are great for everyday wear because they have a Mohs of 9 (diamonds are 10)... they are the same family as sapphires. Only thing with rubies is that they often have inclusions so they may cleave more easily, but many people wear them daily... I could also be wrong abotu this though
2.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I think I''m confused then. Is there something to watch out for when cleaning them...?

Actually, I think the one you posted is much prettier - I like the little sidestones on the band. Random question/semi threadjack: I noticed something on the FC website - it said that for old cuts to check the mm size rather than ct weight to see if it would fit in the setting. Are OMC/OECs larger or smaller in mm than modern RBs? Just curious.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2008 7:04:51 PM
Author: Elmorton
I think I''m confused then. Is there something to watch out for when cleaning them...?

Actually, I think the one you posted is much prettier - I like the little sidestones on the band. Random question/semi threadjack: I noticed something on the FC website - it said that for old cuts to check the mm size rather than ct weight to see if it would fit in the setting. Are OMC/OECs larger or smaller in mm than modern RBs? Just curious.
I think there is only an issue with rubies if they happen to have a large inclusion that could cleave (crack) the stone easily. But even then, I am pretty sure it is not typically an issue and lots of people have ruby e-rings. I don''t think there is any special issue with cleaning. As I mentioned, they are in the corundum family, so should be as wearable as sapphires. People seem to vary with their willingness to us harsh cleaning techniques on any type of coloured stone, but I put my sapphire in my ultrasonic all the time and there''s no problems. I could be wrong though!

I agree, the little sidestones are killer. And as to older stones being wider or thinner, I think the main issue is that those older stones are cut pretty deep, because the depth allows the old-school faceting to really sparkle, so a 1ct OMC will be smaller in diameter than an equivalent weight modern RB. Might not fit the standard sizes, which are based on RB measurements.

DD
35.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer, thanks for the info! This is why I love PS - learning is fun :) Sorry for the threadjack, Dancingqueen. Have you been finding any ideas that you like?

dancingqueen

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for the ideas. I do love the ruby halo. It''s very unique and striking.

I have been wearing my existing ring every day, but I wouldn''t mind a "fancier" setting and not wearing it every day. I tend to prefer more classic looks though and I''m a little concerned that I would tire of a halo setting after a while.

I''m not in any rush so I''ll probably just think about it for a while and compile a various ideas. Plus, I''m supposed to be cutting back on the shopping this year!
7.gif
At least I''m trying for the first quarter!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results