shape
carat
color
clarity

0.46 August Vintage Round or a 0.57 ACA?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2009 7:45:54 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
Thanks guys! well here is another one (which I''ve already placed on hold, just in case). What do you think?

GOG AV 1.05 O I1
I think it is a winner!

I think because you don''t want to change this diamond over time and you want it to stay as is, then go for the OEC. I don''t know why I think that, but somehow upgrading an H&A over time seems more... I don''t know, normal? Anyways, I think for a stand on its own forever piece the OEC is a better bet. And at 1ct then it will be plenty big!

Jon I hope HVVS is not offended, I liked her post and thought it was funny, and I thought your response was funny too.

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/15/2009 11:22:07 PM
Author: Rhino
Please forgive H VVS. That didn't come out right ...
40.gif

I do appreciate where you're coming from. There is a certain appeal to an antique that no new diamond can replace now matter how perfectly the cut is designed to be. When we were designing this my thoughts were along the lines of .. What would Henry Morse (the inventor of the original American Ideal Cut) have cut if he had access to the tools and technologies we had today? I didn't realize after posting that my statement could be taken wrong and its not my intent to offend. Not every kind of diamond is for everyone and thank God for variety. Hope you didn't take my comment in the wrong spirit.

Kind regards,

No, I wasn't offended at all, I am a technologist, I knew what you meant, and I'm still a customer, LOL! I'll stick with your H&As. I imagine trying to fine-tune "quirkiness" for performance would be a real time-consuming challenge. Besides, there are plenty of strange an quirky diamonds out there.
9.gif

There is a certain appeal to an antique that no new diamond can replace now matter how perfectly the cut is designed to be.
Yes.
1.gif

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The AV 1.05 in a James Meyer would be beautiful! Go for it!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks.
1.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is Jonathan still around? I want to know what an August Vintage Round is. (And, yes, I saw its photograph and it is very photogenic. I just want to know what it is...who cut them and when and how they differ from other stones.) I must have been sleeping in class when all of you learned about this cut.

AGBF
34.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/16/2009 1:47:22 PM
Author: AGBF

Is Jonathan still around? I want to know what an August Vintage Round is. (And, yes, I saw its photograph and it is very photogenic. I just want to know what it is...who cut them and when and how they differ from other stones.) I must have been sleeping in class when all of you learned about this cut.

AGBF
34.gif
Hello my old friend.
1.gif
Yes I''m still around and kickin.
41.gif

In brief ... well ... you remember when I first acquired the FireScope ... the BrillianceScope, Isee2, etc. etc. (AGBF is one of few people who know me back from before PriceScope even existed!). Over the course of time helping folks over the net we''ve gotten more and more calls for vintage diamonds like cushions and rounds. Trying to find what I know can be attained within each of those shapes (with regards to optical performance) in the vintage facet design is nothing short of impossible. Precision is almost always wonky and light performance ... forgedaboudit. I reworked both shapes (round and cushion) from the ground up utilizing my knowledge and experience with these tools I''ve acquired over the years to produce what I call August (awe inspiring) Vintage (representing the high quality of a past time). I am working with some of the finest cutters I know but technically I am the cutter/designer since they are my optical design. There is only 1 place to get them at this time.

How they differ from other cuts? ... I have just republished a video I uploaded a couple of days ago. It is entitled "August Vintage OEC vs All Round Varieties + New Scintillation Experiment".

In that clip, taken in 3 different lighting environments we demosntrate the visual/optical differences of these newbies vs 4 other rounds cut for light performance. That shows the difference better than any words I could type out. In few words though ... their emphasis is on bold broad flash and radically depart from modern diamond cutting which gets more splintery as you progress in facet amount. My vision of moving forward with these was looking backward to the original American Ideal Cut (cut by Henry Morse) and perfecting his work with modern technologies.

Hope that helps.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In a James Myer setting the August Vintage for sure!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Love the larger AV stone.

I would just make sure you get a chance to inspect the stone loose to make sure you are happy with it.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/16/2009 6:15:45 PM
Author: Rhino

Hello my old friend.
1.gif
Yes I''m still around and kickin.
41.gif

In brief ... well ... you remember when I first acquired the FireScope ... the BrillianceScope, Isee2, etc. etc. (AGBF is one of few people who know me back from before PriceScope even existed!). Over the course of time helping folks over the net we''ve gotten more and more calls for vintage diamonds like cushions and rounds. Trying to find what I know can be attained within each of those shapes (with regards to optical performance) in the vintage facet design is nothing short of impossible. Precision is almost always wonky and light performance ... forgedaboudit. I reworked both shapes (round and cushion) from the ground up utilizing my knowledge and experience with these tools I''ve acquired over the years to produce what I call August (awe inspiring) Vintage (representing the high quality of a past time). I am working with some of the finest cutters I know but technically I am the cutter/designer since they are my optical design. There is only 1 place to get them at this time.

How they differ from other cuts? ... I have just republished a video I uploaded a couple of days ago. It is entitled ''August Vintage OEC vs All Round Varieties + New Scintillation Experiment''.

In that clip, taken in 3 different lighting environments we demosntrate the visual/optical differences of these newbies vs 4 other rounds cut for light performance. That shows the difference better than any words I could type out. In few words though ... their emphasis is on bold broad flash and radically depart from modern diamond cutting which gets more splintery as you progress in facet amount. My vision of moving forward with these was looking backward to the original American Ideal Cut (cut by Henry Morse) and perfecting his work with modern technologies.

Hope that helps.

Wow, Jonathan! I think I am going to have to wait until after Christmas to watch that video and try to understand it! Thank you for taking all that time to bring me up to date. I see that there are deficits to not staying up to date on my own when cuts that are familiar to everyone else are completely foreign to me! I am like an old fire horse who knows that you used to bring the wagon on a certain route. If you introduce fire engines and try to give me a new task to do, I find it difficult to adjust. But I''m great if you want to know anything about the Firescope ;-).

Thanks again...and Merry Christmas!

Hugs,
Deb/AGBF
34.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/16/2009 7:38:21 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
Love the larger AV stone.

I would just make sure you get a chance to inspect the stone loose to make sure you are happy with it.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! the stone looks amazing - but I would love to see a video of it before committing so I can see it "in person." I don''t think I''m really an indecisive person but when it comes to large (for me anyway!) purchases, I''m horrible.

Jon and GOG have been AWESOME however in answering my questions, and the process has been great. Now if only I could decide!

But as for the JM, I would have to work my way up to that one if I get the 1.05 O - my budget won''t allow for the JM setting in this case (I can do it if I get a smaller stone but not this one). So this would probably go in a plain WG setting. Though I think the unplated WG JM uses in his settings would look amazing with the O.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results