shape
carat
color
clarity

Vanilla Twins: Help me reset them please! (OEC studs)

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
I have a pair of much-loved OEC studs which I posted about many years ago (circa 2010). At the time I loved the settings but they weren't super comfortable. Despite this I wore them without pause for a decade :lol-2:
1000029212.png 1000029211.png

It's finally time to reset them into something more comfortable for my ears/holes. I have sent them to David Klass, who is patiently churning out CADs for me and answering my million questions.

I am tossing up between the CADs below. I am also considering a 6-prong version of the 8-prong tulip setting. Top-down it would look like the solitaire in the photo attached.

They are just a tick over 6mm, 0.91 and 0.95ct, faint/light brown. Planning to set in YG or (hopefully) a red gold/coppery/not-pink RG.

I would love opinions! Which setting would you choose, and why?

A - 6 prong crown (similar to the original setting)?
B - 8 prong tulip?
C - 6 prong tulip?

(If anyone is thinking "D - none of the above, do a bezel" - I already have bezel milgrain RB studs!)

Option A:
1000029206.jpg

Option B:
1000029205.jpg

Option C:
1000029149.png

Last edited:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can’t help because I don’t wear studs so I have no perspective about practicalities, but I wanted to say I REMEMBER THESE! So excited to see this project through.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first thought is why you would consider #1 if it is similar to what you have, and apparently they aren't comfortable for you, hence the reset. What about the existing settings don't you like/not comfortable?

Of what you posted, I like option B.

So D. None of the above, but not a bezel. Have you thought about an 8 prong martini? I have a pair of ACA's just about the same size as your stones, and they are in an 8 prong martini and I find them very comfortable.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
My first thought is why you would consider #1 if it is similar to what you have, and apparently they aren't comfortable for you, hence the reset. What about the existing settings don't you like/not comfortable?

Of what you posted, I like option B.

So D. None of the above, but not a bezel. Have you thought about an 8 prong martini? I have a pair of ACA's just about the same size as your stones, and they are in an 8 prong martini and I find them very comfortable.

Re the current settings, it's not an aesthetic issue, I think the original settings are lovely. BUT
- they are too high
- the base is too narrow
- I hate the screw backs
- my piercing holes hate them too - I get intermittent lumpiness due to a combination of the narrow base and the screw back.

Re martini settings: I just don't like them...it is one of those intangible things, I'm afraid I don't have a better answer

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
I can’t help because I don’t wear studs so I have no perspective about practicalities, but I wanted to say I REMEMBER THESE! So excited to see this project through.

Ha thanks Dreamer! These studs have been my old faithfuls for a long time. I wore them without changing them out until I recently got my lab huggies!

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
I like the tulip settings (8 or 6 prong) - the floweriness suits the old cuts imo!

Do you think the 8 prong is too much metal? I mean, they're studs so basically zero light enters through the pavilion anyway. But from top down I worry it might overwhelm the stones, because they twinkle rather than wildly splintering light like RBs. Maybe the 6 tulip prongs are the trick? I love the semi-illusion look from top-down!

BoulderGal

Brilliant_Rock
I have a pair of much-loved OEC studs which I posted about many years ago (circa 2010). At the time I loved the settings but they weren't super comfortable. Despite this I wore them without pause for a decade :lol-2:
1000029212.png 1000029211.png

It's finally time to reset them into something more comfortable for my ears/holes. I have sent them to David Klass, who is patiently churning out CADs for me and answering my million questions.

I am tossing up between the CADs below. I am also considering a 6-prong version of the 8-prong tulip setting. Top-down it would look like the solitaire in the photo attached.

They are just a tick over 6mm, 0.91 and 0.95ct, faint/light brown. Planning to set in YG or (hopefully) a red gold/coppery/not-pink RG.

I would love opinions! Which setting would you choose, and why?

A - 6 prong crown (similar to the original setting)?
B - 8 prong tulip?
C - 6 prong tulip?

(If anyone is thinking "D - none of the above, do a bezel" - I already have bezel milgrain RB studs!)

Option A:
1000029206.jpg

Option B:
1000029205.jpg

Option C:
1000029149.png

I'd go with Option C. The tulip seems to be not nearly so "basket-y", and curves around the stone a little more, and the 6 prong might show off more of the stone. Personally, I'm not a fan of baskets so I tend to go with martini. But martini might be to modern for your stones, know what I mean?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love it.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
This 20K rose gold is the go, I think, as per this photo - I asked for a deeply hued gold which is not too bright and definitely not too pink.

Next question: to milgrain the tulip or not? I don't think it will make much difference to the top-down view. When zoomed in I sometimes feel it makes the tulip setting look a bit like eagle talons and I feel a bit ick?

Maybe just milgrain on the inside? To slightly break up the metal in the top-down view...

IMG_1195.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results