shape
carat
color
clarity

How do people feel about getting a "traded-in" diamond?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
A diamond is forever...and now it can be forever yours

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@juno26 ,
First, thank you so much for being a Whiteflash client. We very much appreciate the confidence you have placed in us.

For over 24 years now we have offered a very popular upgrade benefit on our in-house diamonds. We are able to do this because our quality criteria is very strict and we have confidence that we can take the diamond back into stock at any time and find another home for it. We always send the diamond back to the lab for a verification and cert update to make sure that the diamond is in original condition. In a tribute to just how durable diamonds are, it is rare that there is even so much as a scratch on a trade-up diamond, even after years of daily wear. In the case that there is a scratch or abrasion, it is usually a fairly simple case of a minor repolish.

Some of our clients are interested in knowing the history of the diamond they are considering and we will share that record with them upon request. We do find that some customers are sensitive to owning a diamond that has graced the hand of another. Diamonds pack a lot of emotion so we certainly understand and respect our customer's sensibilities!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that\s a good question. How does it work? Is the new buyer told the diamond was traded in or does the jeweller just not mention that. To me, as long as the diamond has not bee damaged, it makes absolutely no difference. If the diamond fits the specs I'm looking for, then why not?

I don't think any vendors disclose this information. Some may not know it either depending on where they get their diamond from! Virtual inventories are huge and trade internationally. With a more boutique company like WF who has inventory in house that they own, a consumer could ask, and they might be told the history -- at least since WF owned the stone.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
We were just curious about the history of the stone and asked our contact at Whiteflash and apparently the diamond was bought and traded-in a few more times! Seems like the period of wear for this diamond has remained about 1-2 years for each person until they traded up.
Sounds like a bunch of PSers for sure!! :lol-2:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Hope diamond has had many owners.
Does that make it dirty, or worthless?
Should houses be burned down when the first buyer moves out?

Following death or divorce diamonds are not thrown away.
Many, perhaps most, are eventually sold.

Why should the final retailer tell you its "used"?
Plus, before a second-hand (or 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc.) diamond gets to the final retailer it may get sold and resold by brokers/wholesalers.
Why should every one of those business folks tell buyers each diamond's provenance?
outside the Kimberly Process, I doubt respected sellers of diamonds even ask about origin, or are naive enough to believe what their wholesalers tells them.
Every pro knows, it doesn't matter.

It's not like it's a 300 ct diamond destine for a royal crown or The Smithsonian, where provenance is paramount.

That's why I'm not under the illusion that any "new" diamond has never been previously owned.
Why should I care, since every diamond is billions of years old.

Last edited:

juno26

Rough_Rock
@juno26 ,
First, thank you so much for being a Whiteflash client. We very much appreciate the confidence you have placed in us.

For over 24 years now we have offered a very popular upgrade benefit on our in-house diamonds. We are able to do this because our quality criteria is very strict and we have confidence that we can take the diamond back into stock at any time and find another home for it. We always send the diamond back to the lab for a verification and cert update to make sure that the diamond is in original condition. In a tribute to just how durable diamonds are, it is rare that there is even so much as a scratch on a trade-up diamond, even after years of daily wear. In the case that there is a scratch or abrasion, it is usually a fairly simple case of a minor repolish.

Some of our clients are interested in knowing the history of the diamond they are considering and we will share that record with them upon request. We do find that some customers are sensitive to owning a diamond that has graced the hand of another. Diamonds pack a lot of emotion so we certainly understand and respect our customer's sensibilities!

Thank you, Bryan! The diamond looks amazing so far—cannot stop staring at it! It's a beautiful diamond, and the history makes it that much cooler. We like that it was beautiful enough to be purchased and kept several times by other PS'ers. Whiteflash ACA diamonds all seem to be very sparkly and high quality. It was definitely interesting learning about the trade-ins and the diamond's history/previous owners. :)

juno26

Rough_Rock
The Hope diamond has had many owners.
Does that make it dirty, or worthless?
Should houses be burned down when the first buyer moves out?

Following death or divorce diamonds are not thrown away.
Many, perhaps most, are eventually sold.

Why should the final retailer tell you its "used"?
Plus, before a second-hand (or 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc.) diamond gets to the final retailer it may get sold and resold by brokers/wholesalers.
Why should every one of those business folks tell buyers each diamond's provenance?
outside the Kimberly Process, I doubt respected sellers of diamonds even ask about origin, or are naive enough to believe what their wholesalers tells them.
Every pro knows, it doesn't matter.

It's not like it's a 300 ct diamond destine for a royal crown or The Smithsonian, where provenance is paramount.

That's why I'm not under the illusion that any "new" diamond has never been previously owned.
Why should I care, since every diamond is billions of years old.

My question was to only gather thoughts/opinions from this community. That is all. We never said or implied the diamond was "dirty" or "worthless".

Whiteflash seems to keep good records of their stones within their part of the supply chain, and have been super transparent and detailed about a stone's history (that is when it was sold, traded-in, reevaluated by the lab, etc.).

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Bryan! The diamond looks amazing so far—cannot stop staring at it! It's a beautiful diamond, and the history makes it that much cooler. We like that it was beautiful enough to be purchased and kept several times by other PS'ers. Whiteflash ACA diamonds all seem to be very sparkly and high quality. It was definitely interesting learning about the trade-ins and the diamond's history/previous owners. :)

It appears you are feeling more at peace with the diamond. Or, maybe were all along and just curious about the trade in part. In any event, I am glad to hear it. I bet it's gorgeous. I would love to have a Whiteflash diamond.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
My question was to only gather thoughts/opinions from this community. That is all. We never said or implied the diamond was "dirty" or "worthless".

Don’t mind Kenny, he’s a bit mr. sharp but he means well.

It’s perfectly normal to want to check your feelings and experiences with others. After all, for so many things in our daily lives it makes full sense to go for something brand new, for a variety of reasons ranging from hygiene to wear and tear. Jewellery just falls into a different category, diamonds especially.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No issues at all. Any diamond will have a much longer life than me so every diamond will at some point be pre-owned. As long as WF has verified there is no damage, I’d be fine.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results