shape
carat
color
clarity

Fluorescence visible to the naked eye or a blue nuance in a natural diamond?

Jessica100

Rough_Rock
I have an engagement ring with a 2.4 carat natural brilliant cut diamond. The clarity of the diamond is VVS2 and the color is J.

I noticed a few days ago when I rotated the ring on my fingers against the sunlight that a blue area appeared in the center of the diamond when the diamond was in a certain position. When I turned the ring the other way, the blue area was no longer visible. But, when I turned the ring a bit, the blue area changed its shape somewhat.

I read on the Diamond Mansion website that: ”Diamonds with VERY STRONG fluorescence will appear somewhat blue under DIRECT sunlight.” I also read on Brilliance's website that: ”Fluorescence can be visible to the naked eye under certain lighting conditions. Diamonds with a strong or very strong fluorescence rating will usually glow blue under UV lights (outdoors in the sun or office lighting, for example).” The GIA website also states that: ”Some diamonds fluoresce when they are exposed to long-wave ultraviolet (UV) rays from sources like the sun. This can cause them to emit a bluish light…”

My diamond's quality analysis report says: "Fluorescence: STL". Does anyone know what this means as I don't understand it myself so I'm not sure if my diamond has strong or very strong fluorescence.

I also read on the internet that a diamond will only fluoresce if there were traces of the element boron present in the earth when the diamond was undergoing the process of crystallization. Based on a study by GIA, about 25 % to 35 % of natural diamonds exhibit some degree of fluorescence, but only 10 % are of medium to very strong intensity. I read on The Gem Academy's website that: ”Natural diamonds containing boron are exceptionally rare, accounting for less than 0.01 %.” The GIA website also states that: ”The presence of boron as an impurity in natural diamond is rare, as the amount of uncompensated boron found is typically less than 0.5 ppm.”

I also read on the Ouros Jewels website that: ”Natural diamonds are found in mines, and they don’t face the pressure level of lab-grown diamonds. But natural diamonds tolerate higher pressure than lab diamonds from the digging machines in the mines. The pressure of the machine hits the surface of the natural diamond and leaves the signature blue color, and it is called a "blue nuance diamond."”

However, I don't think my diamond has a blue nuance because of the boron or the digging machine because it doesn't look like it. I did notice a hint of blue in my diamond twice when I photographed the ring outside, but I think the blue color was due to the reflection of the sky. My diamond is yellowish in color, but in some lighting it sometimes looks whiter.

Does anyone have any ideas why the blue color appears in the diamond? And does it in any way affect the value of the diamond? IMG_6413.jpeg IMG_6416.jpeg IMG_6421.jpeg IMG_6278.jpeg IMG_6425.jpeg IMG_6435.jpeg IMG_4896.jpeg IMG_8003.jpeg IMG_5622.jpeg IMG_5670.jpeg IMG_3991.jpeg IMG_4317.jpeg IMG_4390.jpeg IMG_2832.jpeg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Is "STL" a typo for "SLT" (slight) fluorescence? That would not be visible to the naked eye in sunlight. And that doesn't look like an effect of fluorescence anyway.

It looks like your diamond was reflecting something blue, such as the sky, or perhaps blue clothing.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is "STL" a typo for "SLT" (slight) fluorescence? That would not be visible to the naked eye in sunlight. And that doesn't look like an effect of fluorescence anyway.

It looks like your diamond was reflecting something blue, such as the sky, or perhaps blue clothing.

Yup, this

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The blue in the pictures is 100% a reflection of something blue around the diamond.
Diamonds pick up light from around them and if its colored light that is what it shows.
It is picking up light from something blue.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m also wondering about a cloud or inclusion in that area affecting the reflection? I know the card says VVS clarity but those types of appraisals can be inaccurate.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I’m also wondering about a cloud or inclusion in that area affecting the reflection? I know the card says VVS clarity but those types of appraisals can be inaccurate.
While I take those cards with a grain of salt there is another explanation.
Cut precision not being the best combined with the angle combination can explain it since its clearly environmental.
The thought did cross my mind also.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I kinda think it’s a cool effect OP! Whatever the exact cause. Like a magic trick.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The blue in the pictures is 100% a reflection of something blue around the diamond.
Diamonds pick up light from around them and if its colored light that is what it shows.
It is picking up light from something blue.

Slight does not mean slight.
I agree with Karl, likely something blue in the environment.
However when near visible violet visible UV is used, almost all natural diamonds fluoresce. Those wave lengths transmit through through windows and add the whitening effect that makes fluorescence a value add (for a discount).
And invisible UV like 365nm that GIA claims to use are historical waste of space.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results