shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Third time’s a charm – meet Kallista my HG 5.68ct M SI1 OMC platinum ring by DK

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
** warning long post.. please scroll to photos if you're not interested in reading

Two years ago I got my upgrade ring from hubby just in time to celebrate the birth of our son and 10 year anniversary. It was a 3.6ct M SI2 old mine cut – DSS set in quickly and before I even got to enjoy the ring (thank you swelling from pregnancy and birth!).

Ever since I have been searching for a bigger stone, but never imagined that it would come true. My requirements were that:
  • The stone had to be at least 10mm
  • White facing up to OP depending on the stone (initially I was willing to go to UV to get the spread but thankfully I didn't)
  • And most importantly under 35k - we went a little over budget
Thank you to @lulu_ma for her endless research so I knew I had a good deal.. and to @Tonks for providing the stone to finger size percentage. After seeing all the visuals, I wanted as close to 60% as possible so I wouldn’t have been satisfied with 10mm on my size 8.25 finger. I had to find something closer to 11mm! If you have been searching for old cuts, you would know how hard it would be to find something with the right faceting, colour, clarity and price. I was open to old European cuts as they seem to face up larger than the old mine cuts but couldn't find anything that fit the bill.

Recently our very own @88_star was able to source some big rocks for some PS’ers. I knew that I wanted to her to help me search for my dream HG diamond. One of the best things about @88_star is that she gets us PS’ers who are persnickety! I wanted a high crown but spready which is almost impossible to achieve! Thank you for your patience and entertaining my crazy requests. I really enjoyed looking at each potential stone in detail and reviewing it with @lula_ma, @Mreader and @oldcutclubmember. These legends also helped brainstorm setting inspiration and also persuade the hubby on the upgrade. If you ever need a bling sister to give you a good argument then these are your people ;-)!

One day I saw this omc that Rita on the Rocks had posted on her Instagram and was immediately drawn to it – a 5.68ct M SI1 white facing old mine cut with a spread of 11mm. I couldn’t stop thinking about it, the shape and faceting was *chefs kiss*. It was slightly over budget but fit every other parameter I had. The only downside was that it was pending sale! Bummer. And to top it all off apparently there were another 4 people on the waitlist to buy the stone. Needless to say, I was pretty disheartened. However, the following week I got a message from Rita that the stone had become available, but I needed to put down a 50% deposit. For one reason or another I guess I felt that Rita and I weren’t a very good fit. It was @lula_ma who suggested that maybe @88_star would be able to source the exact same stone for me. It was a pretty anxious wait and when she confirmed she could the rest was history. I've affectionately named her Kallista aka baby K as she's the most beautiful thing I've seen. Also special thanks to my stone's twin @sweetpea&babycorn for her inspiration on the setting.

An interesting thing to note was while I was going through my phone with all my “research” I found the exact same stone posted on Dolly’s Instagram stories back in December. I am so glad it didn’t sell back then as I was not ready to move ahead with my purchase then. I do feel like it was meant to be, third time lucky!

This ring means so much to me as we just celebrated the birth of my daughter and our family is now complete. It was also Mother's day as well and there is no better way to celebrate than with my two baby girls.

IMG_20240515_165829.jpg

IMG20240514134437.jpg

IMG20240517123101.jpg

IMG20240515110639.jpg

Screenshot_2024-05-14-14-52-15-26_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

Screenshot_2024-05-14-14-52-25-13_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
So happy for you! And glad that you finally made a thread ;-). She is divine!!

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my goodness I love everything about this! What a stunning stone, and clearly meant to be yours!

Amazing finger coverage achieved for sure! And the bezel setting is just divine. So smooth and practical in the newborn days. Love the photo of your daughter’s hand with your ring.

Who did your setting?

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Wooohooo! That is one GORGEOUS stone! Congrats on finding your HG, and on the beautiful new addition to your family.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
So happy for you! And glad that you finally made a thread ;-). She is divine!!

Haha thank you so much! The write up and photos took the most time. I feel like I'm looking after another child trying to keep the ring clean for the photos and videos haha.

Oh my goodness I love everything about this! What a stunning stone, and clearly meant to be yours!

Amazing finger coverage achieved for sure! And the bezel setting is just divine. So smooth and practical in the newborn days. Love the photo of your daughter’s hand with your ring.

Who did your setting?

Thank you so much. I feel really lucky that someone would pass up on this beautiful stone. How it went through so many hands and no one snatched her up.

I really wanted something simple and this was actually quite fancy. There's so much detail in this ring. I wanted something practical, the last thing I want is scratching my DD.

David Klass made my setting.

P.s. my DD probably has 200% finger coverage lol

Wooohooo! That is one GORGEOUS stone! Congrats on finding your HG, and on the beautiful new addition to your family.

Thank you so much. I have to pinch myself sometimes as she's finally mine. One day my DD will have dibs on this ring.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely gorgeous!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She looks magnificent on you and perfect in that setting! :love: Congratulations on your new baby!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@maryjane04 This is ridiculously beautiful!! Like, OMG STUNNING!!!

Congratulations on your new baby, your complete family & this gorgeous milestone ring! (Also would love to see more pictures of the profile - I spy teeny diamonds galore, woman!)

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
It was definitely meant to be! What a gorgeous and perfect way to commemorate the birth of your baby girl ❤️ Your research and the subsequent search sure paid off because K looks glorious on your hand! The finger coverage is just *chef’s kiss*

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
A beautiful jewel! You are so lucky to be the caretaker of this beauty.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW! That’s stunning! A gorgeous diamond - and worth the wait! I love the setting, too!

Congratulations on the ring of a lifetime! ❤️❤️❤️

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning!!! Everything about it is just mesmerizing!!! Love love love it!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fabulous find! It looks great on you and dreams of the future for your daughter! So glad you were able to find your holy grail diamond!!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Baby K is just spectacular. You have been amazingly patient and she is your stunning reward!

And I love her faceting SO SO much!:kiss2:

Last edited:

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! I love everything about this post! So perfectly amazing!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:kiss2: Wowsers, it’s drop dead gorgeous and an absolute stunner.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely gorgeous!

Thank you so much for your lovely comment.

Omg same haha.

I know, I gasped too hehe.

She looks magnificent on you and perfect in that setting! :love: Congratulations on your new baby!

Thank you so much. I'm not a designer at all but luckily I had lots of inspiration from other PS'ers on the setting. And thank you, I've always dreamed of having a DD. We are so thrilled.

@maryjane04 This is ridiculously beautiful!! Like, OMG STUNNING!!!

Congratulations on your new baby, your complete family & this gorgeous milestone ring! (Also would love to see more pictures of the profile - I spy teeny diamonds galore, woman!)

Thank you so much. It truly is stunning. I am not the best at taking photos so she looks better in real life.

Yes we've got a DS and DD and a milestone HG ring.

Here are the profile shots that I got. It's in poor restaurant lighting as it's raining today. Hope you enjoy them!

IMG20240519124048.jpg

IMG20240519124054.jpg

It was definitely meant to be! What a gorgeous and perfect way to commemorate the birth of your baby girl ❤️ Your research and the subsequent search sure paid off because K looks glorious on your hand! The finger coverage is just *chef’s kiss*

Thank you so much for your eyes and advice on the design. I'm so glad I added the little melee on the profile. It's fancy without being too much. And yes now I finally have someone to share my jewellery with lol I guess from now on I can justify everything haha. I can't believe how lucky I am with K. But so glad I can share it with you guys and be confident in picking a good one. Haha I'm so glad you talked me out of the 10mm oec. This is the ideal finger coverage for me hehe.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Truly amazing! Congrats on your DD, and this piece is a true holy grail

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
A beautiful jewel! You are so lucky to be the caretaker of this beauty.

Thank you so much. I am so lucky to have a hubby that reluctantly agreed to let me take care of this beauty.

WOW! That’s stunning! A gorgeous diamond - and worth the wait! I love the setting, too!

Congratulations on the ring of a lifetime! ❤️❤️❤️

Thank you so much Mrs B. It means a lot coming from you who has impeccable taste and design. I would have waited longer but the timing for this was really perfect. This is definitely a ring of a lifetime as I won't be upgrading ever - mark my words haha.

Stunning!!! Everything about it is just mesmerizing!!! Love love love it!

Thank you so much. It turned out much better than expected.

Gorgeous ring and setting! Enjoy!

Thank you so much. I definitely enjoy her and I usually never wear rings to bed but I am tempted to with her lol. Not enough hours in the day to enjoy wearing her.

Fabulous find! It looks great on you and dreams of the future for your daughter! So glad you were able to find your holy grail diamond!!

I am actually so glad I found her after so many attempts. I hope my DD is into jewellery haha. I know I'm so lucky to have a HG and DD in one year!

GardenLady21

Shiny_Rock
I love everything about your beautiful ring and your journey. It's amazing and having a beautiful baby girl is even more amazing. I adore the photo of baby girl holding Baby K. Someday in the far future, she will look at this ring with love in her heart because she knows it was created out of love and celebration of her arrival. Congratulations!!!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Baby K is just spectacular. You have been amazingly patient and she is your stunning reward!

And I love her faceting SO SO much!:kiss2:

Thank you Lulu ma.. you know I'm so lucky the timing worked out otherwise I'd still be waiting for this HG. I'm glad I have you to bounce ideas and know when something is worthy of buying. I haven't shown hubby the comps yet haha. Her faceting is what I was drawn to first. Even with the freckles, the faceting is what I see 99% of the time.

Congratulations! I love everything about this post! So perfectly amazing!

Thank you so much. It truly is a celebration of so many things. I'm very lucky.

:kiss2: Wowsers, it’s drop dead gorgeous and an absolute stunner.

Thank you so much. K is absolutely a stunner. Sometimes she's so perfect that I think she's fake. How can an old cut be this perfect.

Truly amazing! Congrats on your DD, and this piece is a true holy grail

Thank you love dogs, so excited for your DD too! And you know my DD was born in April so her birthstone is diamond haha baby K will be hers one day.

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
The profile is amaaaaaaaazing. Good call on that extra melee, it's just perfect!

What an absolutely stunning ring! And omg the setting, I’m in love with the setting!!

It’s also the perfect amount of finger coverage for you imo - I love it when a rock takes over MOST of the finger but still leaves enough space for the side details to peek through.

It looks absolutely beautiful on your hand - woweeeee what a ROCK! It’s the size of your baby girl’s hand! :lol:

I absolutely love it - congratulations!

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful - and I love the ring’s profile.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I love everything about your beautiful ring and your journey. It's amazing and having a beautiful baby girl is even more amazing. I adore the photo of baby girl holding Baby K. Someday in the far future, she will look at this ring with love in her heart because she knows it was created out of love and celebration of her arrival. Congratulations!!!

Thank you so much. That's right there's a parallel journey of building a family along with the ring. I am so lucky to have a pigeon pair. The setting was made with my baby girl in mind. I'm not worried about it scratching her at all. She does a good job as a hand model already.

The profile is amaaaaaaaazing. Good call on that extra melee, it's just perfect!

Oh that detail was thanks to @oldcutclubmember I was originally going to go with an engraved bezel instead.

Ooooo pretty!

Thank you so much!

What an absolutely stunning ring! And omg the setting, I’m in love with the setting!!

It’s also the perfect amount of finger coverage for you imo - I love it when a rock takes over MOST of the finger but still leaves enough space for the side details to peek through.

It looks absolutely beautiful on your hand - woweeeee what a ROCK! It’s the size of your baby girl’s hand! :lol:

I absolutely love it - congratulations!

Hehe thank you so much. I had a lot of help to refine the setting. I think it went through four sets of eyes and ideas. I love that there's little details everywhere you look.

I'm so glad that Tonks made that post about the finger coverage. I looked at every percentage and figured the one I liked best which was 60%. Also the bezel helped add a bit of presence to the ring as well.

Haha yeah I really thought it was cute too. Her finger to ring ratio is like 200% or something lol. She's a really sweet and pretty girl that needs pretty shiny things hahaha.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results