shape
carat
color
clarity

Why have rose cuts become so expensive now?

I was at my jeweler’s the other day (just to browse, I’m indefinitely on a bling ban lol) and I saw this pretty rose cut halo ring in the display and asked him the price. It was extremely similar to another rose cut halo ring I’d seen in his shop 7-8 YEARS ago, and I remembered I’d asked him the price then, when I asked him the price of this one it was 3x!

Obviously gold has also tripled since then, and I assume melee diamonds have gone up to some degree too; but other than that, the significant driver of price is definitely the rose cut (labour in india is a small fraction of the price though - on that ring it would’ve been maybe $70-100 max). The colour/clarity/carat were also roughly in line with the earlier ring. They were basically the same ring, just with a blackened finish vs a normal polished finish.

When I asked him, he just said rose cuts have become super expensive. But he couldn’t tell me why, he just shrugged.

Now, setting aside my disappointment with past AllAboardTheBlingTrain for not buying the ring all those years ago (I wasn’t into rose cuts much back then), I can’t understand how they’ve suddenly outpaced all other diamond cuts in price appreciation by percentage.

Has this been your experience as well? Or was it more that back in the day rose cuts weren’t appreciated much by the Indian population and so were priced significantly lower here, but now price has caught up to international levels (still lower than what I see vendors in the US selling them for though, but more in line with the difference in prices between modern cuts) because demand has grown? I’d be surprised though if such significant arbitrage in price had existed back then though!

Thoughts?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FYI-SinCityFinds posted a cluster on IG today with a 6mm rose cut in the center for $1700

FYI-SinCityFinds posted a cluster on IG today with a 6mm rose cut in the center for $1700

Thank you for telling me! Unfortunately I can’t buy internationally because of customs etc but good to know $1700 is a good price - the ring at my jeweler’s is in the same ballpark!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results