shape
carat
color
clarity

The crafty thread! Please post all your crafty/artsy creations here!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
soooooo excited to share this beautiful handwoven piece. I hand dyed the warp (which is green tea model fiber) and the weft is also GTM as well as tencel. Hubs wove it on our countermarch loom. I will weave the next piece (these are handwoven fabric pieces for anything but the mother is using it to wear her baby) for my baby I had back in Sept. who is my 5th and a rainbow baby <3

It came out so beautiful and it’s so much more shiny IRL. It’s super soft and lush.

IMG_0674.jpeg

Modal and tencel - sounds positively luxurious! I love how tencel feels and drapes!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do I want to give an update? I don't now...lol

Gosh so many things happened yesterday. So because I usually work on this stuff on the weekends, and the husband was not wanting to leave until 12 (which meant the doggo interrupted me constantly), I only worked from Noon to 4am Sunday, then from today 9am. I'll see how far I can get.

And this fabric as nice as it is to sew, hates to be unsewn. After a while when looking at it, it blends together :shock: And this is a problem when you're having to match things.

I screwed up the markings, I had to remark the fabric.

I messed up the pockets, so I had to make 4 more...yeah 4.

I messed up the flaps, So I had to make 6 more. ...yeah 6.

Silk is... well, it dosen't like to be taken apart. So I had to forego usual methods because I could NOT get the lines to match up and use a razor blade...very carefully. I cut myself more than I cut the threads.

And this silk in particular does NOT like to be taken apart. Its very very loose, though sturdy, so wants to be treated just so. Its quite heavy honestly which I like. I did not interface the entire coat (like I was gonna, I probably saved myself...lol

Also I decided to (at the last minute) hey, I should be using Hynmo instead of silk/wool for some bits...what was I thinking??:doh:

So right now I'm taking a bit of a break because I sincerely need it...lol But I'm at a point of where the major parts are sewn together and its time to marry everything.

The cut piles I started with.

20240127_145741.jpg

The fronts. I'm matching the red lines running horizontal but also have to be mindful of the vertical lines. Its very shifty and you can see how loose the weave is but its tolerable(mostly) I sat there and counted actual threads to get things to line up in some areas, like those pockets and the flaps.
20240127_193731.jpg

a pocket thats finished. Yes there's 2. I might hate pockets now...lol
20240128_051910.jpg

Arm. I don't know which one. There's a seam in there But I had to really stay true to the horizontal red line as this is a 2 piece sleeve. I hand basted were I needed to, then sewed by machine in place.
20240128_112507.jpg

My 2 sleeves, and a modesty knot on the butt of my dress form...lol
20240128_125425.jpg

The lining. This stuff was a beast. No wonder it was deadstocked , the design runs a bit off grain!:shock:
20240128_051942.jpg

And I've cleaned this place already once. I have so many silk bits every where its not even funny.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do I want to give an update? I don't now...lol

Gosh so many things happened yesterday. So because I usually work on this stuff on the weekends, and the husband was not wanting to leave until 12 (which meant the doggo interrupted me constantly), I only worked from Noon to 4am Sunday, then from today 9am. I'll see how far I can get.

And this fabric as nice as it is to sew, hates to be unsewn. After a while when looking at it, it blends together :shock: And this is a problem when you're having to match things.

I screwed up the markings, I had to remark the fabric.

I messed up the pockets, so I had to make 4 more...yeah 4.

I messed up the flaps, So I had to make 6 more. ...yeah 6.

Silk is... well, it dosen't like to be taken apart. So I had to forego usual methods because I could NOT get the lines to match up and use a razor blade...very carefully. I cut myself more than I cut the threads.

And this silk in particular does NOT like to be taken apart. Its very very loose, though sturdy, so wants to be treated just so. Its quite heavy honestly which I like. I did not interface the entire coat (like I was gonna, I probably saved myself...lol

Also I decided to (at the last minute) hey, I should be using Hynmo instead of silk/wool for some bits...what was I thinking??:doh:

So right now I'm taking a bit of a break because I sincerely need it...lol But I'm at a point of where the major parts are sewn together and its time to marry everything.

The cut piles I started with.

20240127_145741.jpg

The fronts. I'm matching the red lines running horizontal but also have to be mindful of the vertical lines. Its very shifty and you can see how loose the weave is but its tolerable(mostly) I sat there and counted actual threads to get things to line up in some areas, like those pockets and the flaps.
20240127_193731.jpg

a pocket thats finished. Yes there's 2. I might hate pockets now...lol
20240128_051910.jpg

Arm. I don't know which one. There's a seam in there But I had to really stay true to the horizontal red line as this is a 2 piece sleeve. I hand basted were I needed to, then sewed by machine in place.
20240128_112507.jpg

My 2 sleeves, and a modesty knot on the butt of my dress form...lol
20240128_125425.jpg

The lining. This stuff was a beast. No wonder it was deadstocked , the design runs a bit off grain!:shock:
20240128_051942.jpg

And I've cleaned this place already once. I have so many silk bits every where its not even funny.

wow !
im super impressed
keep going !
you can do it !

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow !
im super impressed
keep going !
you can do it !

lol trying!. I'm hoping to get at least the collar on this monster, though it has me scratching my head a lot! Its an ASG pattern so wonder if that has something to do with this very odd collar configuration. And I made one pretty massive mistake which didn't see it until I put the fronts and back together but the design doesn't exactly line up on the top of the shoulder on one side (I'm hoping this collar is big enough to hide this!)

And also, no felt to make shoulder pads and the local craft store is out + somehow, out of all those darn sleeve heads I have, I find only 1....lol

And buttons. If I make them I have to interface this silk because it won't survive the button making process. The buttons I WANT to use aren't here yet. they're still in the mail (slowest mail service from Texas to FL would happen this week.

I'm going to guess at least another 2 weekends on this thing.So much for me having 2 complete projects a month! Gonna have dinner and see how far I can get after but I will NOT be up at 4am thats for sure!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lol trying!. I'm hoping to get at least the collar on this monster, though it has me scratching my head a lot! Its an ASG pattern so wonder if that has something to do with this very odd collar configuration. And I made one pretty massive mistake which didn't see it until I put the fronts and back together but the design doesn't exactly line up on the top of the shoulder on one side (I'm hoping this collar is big enough to hide this!)

And also, no felt to make shoulder pads and the local craft store is out + somehow, out of all those darn sleeve heads I have, I find only 1....lol

And buttons. If I make them I have to interface this silk because it won't survive the button making process. The buttons I WANT to use aren't here yet. they're still in the mail (slowest mail service from Texas to FL would happen this week.

I'm going to guess at least another 2 weekends on this thing.So much for me having 2 complete projects a month! Gonna have dinner and see how far I can get after but I will NOT be up at 4am thats for sure!

Well, you are a trooper! and a very talented one at that. When I see what clothing you make, I'm in awe. I barely got through making an apron in Home Ec! (And for those too young to know what Home Economics class was, it was the class girls took to learn how to cook and sew, while the boys were in Shop class making stuff out of metal and wood. I guess they don't do that anymore LOL)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, you are a trooper! and a very talented one at that. When I see what clothing you make, I'm in awe. I barely got through making an apron in Home Ec! (And for those too young to know what Home Economics class was, it was the class girls took to learn how to cook and sew, while the boys were in Shop class making stuff out of metal and wood. I guess they don't do that anymore LOL)

I took wood shop...lol But my father had to go to the school and force the issue. My final project was a night stand, which I got an A for. Once I did that, they ended up opening it to everyone I remember.

But everyone had to take economics (the basics of money and balancing a checkbook/ledger and so on).

Thank you, everything here is really hard won. I had to forego some of the instructions because...they don't make sense to me...lol However I did figure out the collar finally because I read ahead to see what they were doing. Even though I'm using my own methods, its coming together fine.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

i am still so impressed
maybe in this case slow and steady is the answer, i mean a coat like that will last a very long time
i cant wait to see the buttons on it !

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

at intermediate school (1983 and 1984) we all did both, ten hours a week every two weeks alternating through the different subjects (the other year did the other week) home ec_(cooking) everything was revolting like bran muffins but i do still use the xmas cake and xmas pudding recepe, clothing (sewing) everything was butt ugly so i never finished anything, woodwork and metalwork and art
you didnt miss much in the woodwork, we did make a jewlery box, and metal work was so borring and slow, the art teacher was bossy and witch like
we had gas and electectric ovens in home ec , in my cousin's day the home ec teacher left an oven on and the kids got a bit gassed and the ambulance had to come
the sewing teacher was an old cow who was missing a finger, the rumour was she had sewed it off (probbaly not true) we had horrible old singers and newer Berninas, just like it cooking it was a mad rush at the start of the lesson to get the good machines (or electric ovens) the woodwork teacher was fairly normal but the metal work teacher made up for him, we spent a lot of time just watching from behind a white line while he told strories about his time in the army and WW2, kinda wished i had listened now, the art teacher surposibly had a woodern breast (poor thing)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i am still so impressed
maybe in this case slow and steady is the answer, i mean a coat like that will last a very long time
i cant wait to see the buttons on it !

Well I spoke too soon. Yesterday I fitted the outer sleeves and they don't match up :confused2:.... I have just enough in reserve to get another set of sleeves if I get creative.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I spoke too soon. Yesterday I fitted the outer sleeves and they don't match up :confused2:.... I have just enough in reserve to get another set of sleeves if I get creative.

I’m super impressed with what you’re doing here! That would be an ambitious project to tackle with any fabric. The thought of that jacket with such a subtle plaid, and matching every detail so meticulously, pretty much blows my mind - especially since you’re doing it with “found time!”

Good luck with your sleeve redo!

(Many years ago, my mother was ill and she especially wanted a long robe and there were no nice ones to be found, so I decided to make her one. I found some absolutely luscious velour - in a beautiful Dresden blue for the body and cream for the lapels and cuffs - and took a day off work to make the robe. I thought I had cut it carefully, but when it came time to sew it together I found that I had cut something upside-down, with the nap going the wrong way! I don’t recall if it was a main body piece or the sleeves, all I remember is that - fortunately! - the fabric store had enough of the velour left to allow me to finish the robe correctly!)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m super impressed with what you’re doing here! That would be an ambitious project to tackle with any fabric. The thought of that jacket with such a subtle plaid, and matching every detail so meticulously, pretty much blows my mind - especially since you’re doing it with “found time!”

Good luck with your sleeve redo!

(Many years ago, my mother was ill and she especially wanted a long robe and there were no nice ones to be found, so I decided to make her one. I found some absolutely luscious velour - in a beautiful Dresden blue for the body and cream for the lapels and cuffs - and took a day off work to make the robe. I thought I had cut it carefully, but when it came time to sew it together I found that I had cut something upside-down, with the nap going the wrong way! I don’t recall if it was a main body piece or the sleeves, all I remember is that - fortunately! - the fabric store had enough of the velour left to allow me to finish the robe correctly!)

Yeah anything with a nap is a painful experience. Velveteen, velour, all the v names...they can be pretty but man.... You really gotta pay attention.

I think an exercise in matching keeps some of us humble...lol

The lining is finished and its pretty darn gorgeous! I matched the facings to the outer coat and its spot on. That I'm SUPER happy about.

Totally in love with it and thankfully its small enough of a design that you have to look particularly close to see where its off. Nobody is gonna be looking that close except me.

Ignore any pink marks because thats chalk, this coat needs a good cleaning when I'm done. The other reason why I prewash; I can wash the garment at home!

To think I almost went with black lining! It would not have the same pop.
20240129_130503.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I got part of the button order. These are 1.25inch Vintage Mother of Pearl Buttons. They are exceptional in person, very thick, lots of color. While they have been dyed, they're really lovely. I'm still waiting on the white/cream colored ones, which have not been dyed.

But I think I'm going to just go with the silvery over the brown. Either one will work and its such a hard decision!

20240129_175057.jpg

Also I dug deep in the stash and guess what I found? Felt!:dance: so I will make some shoulder pads tonight. hope I have enough!

You all are keeping me going btw, so thank you for your encouragement and interest in my crazy project!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the silvery ones best too. And it is gorgeous.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't yet cut out the new sleeves but I will maybe this Friday. The old sleeves I'll use to make a small handbag...lol no way will I waste that material!

I made some shoulder pads using my favorite resource (Reader's Digest Complete Guide to sewing) but I think I need to go bigger because this is a drop shoulder and I've never made pads for drop shoulder anything.

My other buttons made it. The white buttons are glorious but all wrong so, I will use them somewhere else.

Also as a deviation, I'm going to attempt a bound buttonhole. I'm playing around with some ideas on that this week.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Moment of truth here Right now the whole darn thing is ready to be turned. I'm having coffee and contemplating if its going to be worth it in the end...lol

Friday was massive. I cut new sleeves which work...kinda. I'm not cutting another pair so it HAD to work. I had to get my head around bound button holes which isn't terribly hard but hard to get right. I'm only half way there as it stands. I have not yet down any hemming, thats always dead last and totally fine its last. I have to do that by hand anyway.

However the instructions were crazy and actually very very wrong, so I had to do my own thing with them.

Putting in those sleeves again. All those pins are necessary as they keep me on track.

20240203_161425.jpg

this is at 3:30am I was tired...lol This is a lot of fabric to wrangle but I also had to check everything over that I didn't leave any pins anywhere that will get stuck between the layers.
20240204_034323.jpg

My other check over from this morning. I had to put it on the form a couple of times to make sure it fits well. (it does, its also very lightweight!) yes my kitchen is dirty (I do not care...lol)

Yes I did put sleeve heads in there. sewn in by hand. My hand sewing sucks but good enough for something like this. Its sewn to the seam allowance with silk thread.
20240204_100228.jpg

All the wrong sides...yes I know but the magic is in how the thing gets turned to the right side.

20240204_093029.jpg

So as soon as I finish coffee its back to the sewing machine and turning it the correct way.

OK I'm apparently quite trash...lol I forgot the outside pics.
20240204_101521.jpg

Bound button hole from the wrong side
20240204_101508.jpg

Attachments

• 20240204_101508.jpg
    20240204_101508.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG I'm just dying over here :eek2:This is where I just wanna quit...lol. Whats left is really all hand sewing at this point but its A LOT!:shock:

I turned it the right way, so thats good. I had to remove the sleeve heads because when I tried it on....lol this is a super long drop shoulder, they looked ridiculous! Of course it looks uttery ridiculous on me as I'm wearing a tank top and yoga pants. but hey sometimes its best to just look a bit ridiculous. (seriously I cut a size 18 which is really big! I'm not just saying that because I'm not exactly tiny, but I should have just went to the next pack!)

The good, this is a look that is in right now....

And while I was in there, apparently I left in some pins so removed those too.

Tack it all the way around so the lining and the outside move as one without being too tight together. Shoulders are done, 3 more tacks left. (the back and both sides.

That area where I turned it, I have to hand sew that in place.

Then I have to hand sew the linings to the outside sleeves.

Put on the last button. I harvested some silk threads since I had so much of it...heh... and after I put the button on, I'm using that to tie it in to the fabric.

This coat while not heavy in a winter coat kind of way, is actually quite warm!

Progress!
20240204_175604.jpg
20240204_161934.jpg
20240204_162038.jpg

My dining room looks like a total disaster...lol So taking a break to clean and get something to eat.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG I'm just dying over here :eek2:This is where I just wanna quit...lol. Whats left is really all hand sewing at this point but its A LOT!:shock:

I turned it the right way, so thats good. I had to remove the sleeve heads because when I tried it on....lol this is a super long drop shoulder, they looked ridiculous! Of course it looks uttery ridiculous on me as I'm wearing a tank top and yoga pants. but hey sometimes its best to just look a bit ridiculous. (seriously I cut a size 18 which is really big! I'm not just saying that because I'm not exactly tiny, but I should have just went to the next pack!)

Tack it all the way around so the lining and the outside move as one without being too tight together. Shoulders are done, 3 more tacks left. (the back and both sides.

Put on the last button. I harvested some silk threads since I had so much of it...heh... and after I put the button on, I'm using that to tie it in to the fabric.

Progress!
20240204_175604.jpg
20240204_161934.jpg
20240204_162038.jpg

My dining room looks like a total disaster...lol So taking a break to clean and get something to eat.

That's gorgeous!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Arcadian, I’ve known you are talented from years of reading here but this is beautiful!!!!! WOW!!! What a fantastic job you did!!!! It’s gorgeous!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Arcadian, I’ve known you are talented from years of reading here but this is beautiful!!!!! WOW!!! What a fantastic job you did!!!! It’s gorgeous!

Thank you! I'm so not done yet...lol But thats OK. The last bits is the most meticulous though its basic hand sewing. I'm ever thankful for having a small house! It takes only a few hours to clean! so I cleaned things up and put them back so it dosen't look like a sewing room exploded everywhere...lol

This week I'll put the time in for the hand sewing because I'll be hopefully cutting out the next project over the weekend.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My boyfriend and I sighed up for a lithography class at the local art and exhibition center. The first class assignment was to design a picture to print. The trick is to think in shapes which I did not know. This is the picture that I drew.
IMG_2349.jpeg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Progress!
20240204_175604.jpg
20240204_161934.jpg
20240204_162038.jpg

Amazing work Arcadian!
It is so interesting seeing your steps along the way. I have always shied away from any sewing project/pattern that looked too complex.
The coat is fabulous!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My boyfriend and I sighed up for a lithography class at the local art and exhibition center. The first class assignment was to design a picture to print. The trick is to think in shapes which I did not know. This is the picture that I drew.
IMG_2349.jpeg
Oh wow, thats so pretty! I don't know a lot about this art form (I can't really draw either...lol) what will be your medium for it?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing work Arcadian!
It is so interesting seeing your steps along the way. I have always shied away from any sewing project/pattern that looked too complex.
The coat is fabulous!

Thank you! I've had to really stick my whole self into it. Sometimes I wish I had a dedicated sewing room because when I get into it, my poor dining room and kitchen catch the brunt of the mess! but, might be for the best because I'd have a bigger fabric hoard...lol.

It needs the right mindset to be sure. And by structured coat standards this one isn't that complicated. I have one pattern that I totally noped out of because I am NOT at that level!:lol:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cost analysis of Materials:

Outer fabric $16.00/yard 56.00
lining fabric $14.00/yard 49.00
hair cloth $19.00/yard 28.50
buttons 3 of the @ 3.83 each 11.49

Total: 144.99

Very happy where I landed on this one.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Amazing work Arcadian!
The coat is fabulous!

agreed
@Arcadian keep posting pictures
you are inspiring :kiss2:
i have two small roller blind kits to make up (ive had the kits and the fabric for 6 years now) but i thought the instructions were too long:lol-2:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
agreed
@Arcadian keep posting pictures
you are inspiring :kiss2:
i have two small roller blind kits to make up (ive had the kits and the fabric for 6 years now) but i thought the instructions were too long:lol-2:

lol Well admittedly most instructions for making any garment is about 2 pages long , the easy stuff is really easy though, its when you go off script that it can get a little crazy. But, there's sometimes when they don't tell you things and its more implied. For instance, they don't tell you how to finish a seam. Also I did some off script stuff like I did a bound button hole because the fabric dictates that, also, I did 1/4 inch (6cm) top stitch for the same reason.

This wrap dress just dropped

But its considered very easy so I'll give it a go. I will have to really consider the size I need though because the price is never dropping below what they're showing.

I never get to the point where I can make something in a day because I mostly just don't have that type of time! but even if I did, I don't know how some people do that.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think I looked at these last few pages with my mouth hanging open in awe. SO much talent!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I looked at these last few pages with my mouth hanging open in awe. SO much talent!

its imspired me to get my overlocking out for the first time in years
not making anything really, just some tidy ups, but thank you @Arcadian
now if i can just remember how it works - the instructions are on VHS :-o
i need to do a rolled hem

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So for the next 2 projects I'll be doing a couple of shirts for him
20240213_123521.jpg

They won't be too difficult thankfully, I'll batch them together because it will make sense to do so. One will be a 2 toned shirt (blue will be the main, red the contrast) and then the black martini shirt. The martini shirt will be short sleeve and the bauhause shirt will be long sleeve.

The more blue and red is Liberty of London Tana Lawn which is really amazing stuff to wear.

he did ask if I could make a plain shirt.

:shock::lol:

I really don't have a lot of plain shirt fabric...lol I told him if he wants a plain shirt, buy one. (he has plenty of plain shirts honestly)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results