shape
carat
color
clarity

Mom's Pearls - Advice Please

ExplorePS

Rough_Rock
Hello fellow nacre (beginner here and just learned that word and putting it to use before I forget) lovers and experts! and experts! I'm still new to the pearl world and started bonding with my mom over this topic. She was right that as you get older, pearls become more interesting... haha : ) She doesn't live close by and shared some photos with me. I learned that these were passed from her own mother. Also it is a sweet gesture and she said that these items would get passed down to me as her only daughter. Sadly, she doesn't prefer to wear these items anymore (though I do encourage her to take the time to put it on at least for special occasions!!).

She has already shared other jewelry pieces that she doesn't wear to me and I've learned from jewelers that some of it it was costume jewelry (no big deal but I just don't want to mistreat anything with value or part ways with something and not get an even trade for it). The photo isn't great but just curious, any thoughts on what these type of pearls might be? Is it a safe assumption that these are pearls with some value if there were diamonds (I'm assuming these are real), attached to the pearls?

Also, if I'm more of a simple design gal, for the earrings would it be better to pay a jeweler to take it apart? For instance, I can imagine myself wearing pearl studs but not quite my style with the diamond "halo" for lack of better word around it as they are not removable jackets from what I understand.

In addition, I'm not much of a pendent person either. If I have other more sentimental pieces that I plan on keeping (her engagement ring was already passed to me), would it be a shame to sell it to a jeweler as a piece in it's entirety especially when there aren't certificates and judgement or value seems subjective? Or is there a creative way to remove the pearl and think of a different project? Without the no how on restringing pearls, I feel like I wouldn't know what to do with two loose pearls of different sizes... I feel like I would resort to selling it to my local jeweler for credit on repair work or in the past I had a simple gold wedding band created... Appreciate any "pearls of wisdom" to be shared and thanks in advance!

Capture.PNG

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the metal marked? If it is silver then probably the stones are not diamonds. (They may not be diamonds even if the metal is gold, but it's more likely.)

The pearls may be real, but they do not appear to be of great value in and of themselves. In other words, If you don't want to wear the pendants and earrings just as they are, I recommend you sell them wherever you are most likely to get the most for them.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check for hallmarks on the metal.
925 = sterling silver
375, 585, 750 are 9ct, 14ct and 18ct gold.
900, 950 and Plat are for Platinum.
If set in gold or platinum the pearls are likely natural and the white stones diamonds.
You can simply test for plastic vs nacre by rubbing gentle against a tooth gritty = nacre, smooth = plastic.
Pearls are somewhat out of fashion but quality jewellery always has a value. A pawnbroker will give you next to nothing, your best bet might be an antique jeweller, if you have any nearby, to sell on commission for you.
Alternatively you can use an Auction house ( though seller fees are high ie 20 - 35% ), eBay (sellers fee around 13%) or Loupe Troop (free to use).
I would keep one piece, just to pass on if you have a daughter or if any siblings have a daughter.

ExplorePS

Rough_Rock
I think it would be too challenging on my mom's eyes to find the metal markings. I'll wait for the future when it is in my possession to get a better assessment on value. I do have a local jewelry that does these type of trades.

Unless I'm on the wrong page, it is in agreement that is a better financial decision to sell the pieces in its entirety and then purchase my own pearl pieces that might fit my style better.

Thank you again for everyone's time and attention on this question!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a point on terminology of pearls, which is slightly different from that of gemstones.

"Real pearls" can be either natural or cultured.
Natural pearls are wild, created in nature without any human intervention.
Cultured pearls are farmed, created with human intervention.

The pearl market has been a cultured pearl market for the past century. There are very few natural pearls.
If your mom's pearls are real, they are most likely cultured, not natural.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
just a wee note of caution, personal taste does change
in the '00's when i was in my 30's i brought quite different pearl pieces to what i wear now
now i wear mum's pearls and my '00's pieces sit in the drawer

ExplorePS

Rough_Rock
just a wee note of caution, personal taste does change
in the '00's when i was in my 30's i brought quite different pearl pieces to what i wear now
now i wear mum's pearls and my '00's pieces sit in the drawer

I fully agree and heed your advice! The items haven't been passed down to me yet so there is time for my tastes to change. However, I think I prefer a simpler look and if there weren't diamonds attached the the pearls then it would be more fitting for my style. Time will tell though! Have a great rest of your week!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love simple pearl studs-- and they don't have to be very costly to be beautiful. Freshwater studs can be very lustrous.

In particular, button shaped FW pearls make great studs because they don't droop (or protrude) the way round studs do, especially in larger sizes. Buttons are also less costly than fully round pearls.

ExplorePS

Rough_Rock
I love simple pearl studs-- and they don't have to be very costly to be beautiful. Freshwater studs can be very lustrous.

In particular, button shaped FW pearls make great studs because they don't droop (or protrude) the way round studs do, especially in larger sizes. Buttons are also less costly than fully round pearls.

Hello again my pearl PS friend who has kindly coached me in the beginning seasons. I think you hit it on the nail that I prefer something "real" and lustrous but luckily am not sensitive to high-end products. I've concluded (without actual purchases yet and seeing things in person) that I am more of a "fashion pearl" type of girl. After reading more threads, I think I'm first going to try out WenPearls and KongsPearl on Etsy for an upcoming birthday with hints to DH. However, I still can't get the ombre type look out of my mind. Are there any "fashion pearls" for lack of a better term that an Etsy seller is offering? I found some but they don't appear to be real pearls. Or perhaps that's not quite achievable at such a low price point. Appreciate your thoughts!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, sorry. But keep searching-- maybe one will be listed somewhere.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hello again my pearl PS friend who has kindly coached me in the beginning seasons. I think you hit it on the nail that I prefer something "real" and lustrous but luckily am not sensitive to high-end products. I've concluded (without actual purchases yet and seeing things in person) that I am more of a "fashion pearl" type of girl. After reading more threads, I think I'm first going to try out WenPearls and KongsPearl on Etsy for an upcoming birthday with hints to DH. However, I still can't get the ombre type look out of my mind. Are there any "fashion pearls" for lack of a better term that an Etsy seller is offering? I found some but they don't appear to be real pearls. Or perhaps that's not quite achievable at such a low price point. Appreciate your thoughts!

Wen ships really fast, she is great for fun pearls
just always try to buy her best grade (i think it is AAA)
i have been buying them loose and making my own creations, you could have fun learning to knot yourself, i have a bit of arthritis or something so i cant do it but lots of our PS pearl princesses do and it must save them a ton of money -alternitivly some on local to you will be able to do it

at night i dream about @MakingTheGrade 's ombre strand
i think if you had the patience you could assemble a similar look yourslef, i want to do a peach to cream one one day

when you buy pearls at a lower price point i buy two strands (this is how our PS friend's advised me) but honestly the bar is set pretty low by the jewellers in my town so i dont often reject one, they just go in the pile to make the really fun necklaces i mix up with gemstone beads and silver findings

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results