honigtopf

Rough_Rock
Here is a link to the video!

GIA report says:
  • 7.7x7.7mm
  • 1.9 carat
  • H VS2 (feather, growth remnant)
  • Polish excellent
The asking price is $1.5k, curious whether that seems fair? I currently have it on hold and am trying to decide in the next couple of days. I probably would ideally go for something a little bigger (I suppose this faces up equivalent to a 1.7ct round brilliant and maybe I'd prefer 2ct) but I quite like the look & price of this one and it seems to be non-trivial to find OEcs, so am leaning towards just getting it :)

Thank you!

1715386974274.png

1715386197385.png

Last edited:

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Does it have a return policy? The price seems good, but you’ve already got DSS (Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome) off you’re saying that ideally you’d like something a little bigger … so might be worth checking out.

Even though OEC’s aren’t common, they aren’t that rare. You might prefer saving your $1500 and using toward a “full size” OEC :lol:

lavenderdragonfly23

Shiny_Rock
Nope, hard pass. The middle will be black all at once. Keep looking! If you are on IG, try Alex Park antique labs, or try distinctive gems

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
notice the 8 facets under the table? Those should not flash light and dark all at the same time. That will make the center of the stone look too dark most of the time. You want to see the central facets go light and dark relatively independently. So some are dark while others are light. Ideally adjacent facets should not go dark at the same time either.

honigtopf

Rough_Rock
I really really appreciate all of your advice! This has been super useful. You've really changed my mind. I think the jeweler who I was talking to about this stone had absolutely no idea what they were talking about so it's great to hear some real advice.
I've DMed Alex Park and he says he has some OEC labs in stock around 2ct, so I very likely will get one from him if that's at all possible!

@0515vision, thank you for pointing out the potential shrinkage syndrome - I've been thinking about it a lot and I think it's true that I probably would like something facing up at least similarly to a 2ct round brilliant, so 8.2mm, and I might try and hold out for that. I was feeling a lot like I should compromise and now I've decided to wait I actually feel a lot better

honigtopf

Rough_Rock
The Distinctive Gems cuts are really amazing but their labs are unfortunately out of budget - how do you think their OEC moissanites compare to Alex Park's labs?

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I would reach out to Jonathan at Distinctive Gems directly and tell him what you're looking for and your budget. Lab prices have dropped wildly, and he himself has said that his website isn't always up to date.

I purchased lab studs from him. Great customer service!

Personally, there's nothing like a diamond. And Alex Park has wonderful OEC's, too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results