shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Inspired Legacy with graduated side stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kbarro1

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Dan! The ring looks really good with the band and it actually won''t sit flush, it will loook like gardnerranch''s does and it has diamonds on all 3 sides. I was concerned about wearing the two of them together and them rubbing and damaging each other...especially the surprise diamond. What is your opinion?

StoneOakDan

Rough_Rock
Hi Moonwater,

What happens is lots of Stores and people say they can do custom and I don''t want to throw rocks but the results are not there! Lots of people are going to have the design software that we have which Gem Vision Matrix6 and soon you will see movies becoming easier to do. We have been making movies for almost three years. Before we actually cast your ring, you see a Resin (the green plastic), a real life like picture from all views, and a movie if you want. The reason I spent the time and money to help develop this technology is I don''t like for people not to be happy with their finished product. I spent over 30 years in the wholesale diamond business and have sold nice, fine stones to stores in an 15 state area. I am fortunate that we have the money to own our inventory and when I see a nice stone, I buy it. WE have a very succesful B & M store and are very customer oriented in taking care of your needs. From Idea to finished ring, it usually takes us about 1 week after you have we have the design approved.

Happy to help if we can,
Dan

StoneOakDan

Rough_Rock
KBarro,
If you make a ring that will fit up next to the ring, it is not going to rub. Does your ring have a square bottom or European Shank? What metal Did you do with? What concerns me, is the fact you care going to bezel set it and it becomes a "handcream trap" and you loose the sparkle of your diamond. One of the good things is that you have someone you can take it to in your community that will take care of whatever problems you might have. I would also recommend that they drill out the holes underneath the small diamonds so you can clean the smaller stones. We try to have these details worked out before we start the ring. Understand, 99% of my business comes thru my front door and we take care of our customers. I know I can be a little blunt but I really do have your best interest at heart. You are going to wear it for lots of years and I want them to all be happy.

If you really start having too much wear, you just soldier them together. The problem gets to be if the ring is platinum and do they have a Laser Welder? Platinum melts at about 1800 degree''s and diamond''s start to burn at 1800'' degrees so a good jeweler needs to have a $40,000 laser welder. If not, he is going to use WHite Gold Soldier which is VERY yellow and it will make your ring look spotted. Post your answers and I will ahppily respond and do my best to give you good, fatherly advise. I only have three daughters 38-32-21, all still shopping!

Dan the Dad & Grandfather
This year I have been married 40 years!

kbarro1

Shiny_Rock
I am not going to bezel set it, it is going to be set with prongs so that I can clean unerneath it. That was something that I guess I did not communicate clearly until the other day when I was in the store, but they are going to set it so that it can be cleaned. I decided to go with white gold (I know I know you don''t agree with that, but that is what I decided). I don''t really thing I can solder them together since the legacy inspired ring has the surprise diamond that sticks out and that would take away from the beauty of the side profile. Both the band and the ring are round, they are not squared at all (I don''t know what that is called). I just didn''t want the diamonds to scratch each other, so I was wondering if I should only wear the band when I don''t want to wear my setting. Thanks!

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
I have a "family" stone, a 2 ct. oval. I''m in Dallas and I''ll call you this week. Definitely.

StoneOakDan

Rough_Rock
KBarro,

Have them lower the diamond in the bezel so it does not stick out so much and then have them make you a wax with a matching band. This ring was made in CAD and Cast and not hand done so making a band is not going to be a problem. What metal is it?

Dan

StoneOakDan

Rough_Rock
Ms Trader Girl,

My middle daughter and son in law lived in Dallas while he went to Southwestern Med School and again, while he finished his E.R. Residency at Parkland. My daughter use to be with the "New Beginnings" Women''s program in Dallas and was in charge of their fundraising. They are in Austin Now and she does the same thing for U.T. Is it an "old Stone" meaning does it have any small chips or need in Diamond Cutting work?

Happy to help you!
Dan

gardnerranch

Rough_Rock
Well, I've been out for a while and look at all of the conversation in the meantime!!!

Kbarro1- I see Dan has already answered your question, but I thought I'd add, he discouraged me from pairing the rings together (without going flush) because if the inevitable wear and tear. (If you hadn't noticed, Dan will give it to you just as he sees it, which I really appreciate about him. But, as is true of all advice, you ultimately have to decide for yourself). That being said, I decided to throw caution to the wind, as it was the look I wanted. I guess I will get to see Dan a little more regularly for maintenance to my eternity wedding band. He did however, factor my decision into the design of the e ring, to ensure it would hold up as much as possible. The wedding band does scratch the bottom of my engagement ring, but it is underneath my finger and no one knows but me- so it dosn't bother me at all.

Please post pictures of your ring after its through. It's so fun to share!

Glad to see this thread has been of some assistance!
35.gif

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2008 6:15:18 PM
Author: StoneOakDan
Hi Moonwater,

What happens is lots of Stores and people say they can do custom and I don''t want to throw rocks but the results are not there! Lots of people are going to have the design software that we have which Gem Vision Matrix6 and soon you will see movies becoming easier to do. We have been making movies for almost three years. Before we actually cast your ring, you see a Resin (the green plastic), a real life like picture from all views, and a movie if you want. The reason I spent the time and money to help develop this technology is I don''t like for people not to be happy with their finished product. I spent over 30 years in the wholesale diamond business and have sold nice, fine stones to stores in an 15 state area. I am fortunate that we have the money to own our inventory and when I see a nice stone, I buy it. WE have a very succesful B & M store and are very customer oriented in taking care of your needs. From Idea to finished ring, it usually takes us about 1 week after you have we have the design approved.

Happy to help if we can,
Dan
Thanks for the info Dan. I''ve definitely taken note of your company for future reference. However, my problem wasn''t the ability to do custom work (this company has done tons for PS members) as much as it was a misunderstanding in what I wanted in the design. It all worked out as I saw the pictures today. Of course the true test is having it on my finger!!
2.gif

StoneOakDan

Rough_Rock
Moonwater,

I understand and I hope that they work out your problems. I really am not a net seller as 99% of my business is across the counter as I am just an old hated B & M jeweler. What I do have, is a State of the art system to keep from having your type of problems. I don''t sugar coat things and I shoot straight. I know I come across gruff but I just tell it like it is. I don''t just critize and I can name some net sellers who do as fine a work as their is in my industry. As An example: Mark Morrell (MWM) does the best work I know. His style is different from mine but his "smooth style" is finest I have ever seen. He is pretty much a "one man band" and I truly admire what he does. (Mark : bill to follow). My store has 4 full time jewelers with $300,000 of the latest & greatest equipment. I have one full time Cad person (Kassie) whom I hired out of college who has a degree in Computer Graphics. We usually get rings out in a week.

If I can help you, I am happy to do so. Whether you buy from me or not, I will always tell you the truth.

Dan Dement

StoneOakDan

Rough_Rock

Kbarro,

This is the finished ring that I told you about with straight sides that will take a flush eternity band. Similar style but how the customer wanted it. I took a deposit on it last Friday and I will deliver it tomorrow. In Platinum of course.

Dan

Finished Ring1.jpg

kbarro1

Shiny_Rock
Dan,

Gorgeous work as always!!! I wish I would have been able to have my ring in a weeks time, but I live in Alabama and the ring is in New Orleans, so the distance hinders the time frame. Oh well. It is fantastic and I know the buyer will be VERY pleased. Thanks for all of your advice in this.

Karla

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2008 6:32:46 PM
Author: StoneOakDan

Kbarro,

This is the finished ring that I told you about with straight sides that will take a flush eternity band. Similar style but how the customer wanted it. I took a deposit on it last Friday and I will deliver it tomorrow. In Platinum of course.

Dan
Dan,
Will you work with a diamond supplied by the customer? I''m saving your name, website and number for a possible project.
Thanks...

StoneOakDan

Rough_Rock
Marian,

That''s a difficult question for me. Here is what my policy has been: I usually only do my custom work on my supplied center unless it is truly an old family stone or a true remount of something you have. I know this is going to cause some argument but you aren''t going to buy a Quality stone somewhere else for less. Understand, I have spent the majority of 40 years in business on the wholesale side of the jewelry business working with the largest "big diamond" site holders in the diamond industry. I know the majority of the quality retailers in a 15 state area and their are not a lot of secrets in our industry. Understand, I have run my business as a traditional full service B & M store with a money back guarantee and have been very successful with it. I believe whomever sold you your diamond needs to take care of you and what happens on the internet is everybody starts searching for the cheapest deal. The cheapest deal in a diamond is not the most beautiful, best stone I can find for the money. Now, whether it is BN or whomever, generally these type of operations do not own their inventory. If you understand how Rapaport works as a multilisting service for diamonds, then understand the best , great deals get sold to the people who buy their inventory and these dealers need to sell what they can not sell to a knowledgable buyer. Hence: The Cheapest deal is not always the best diamond and all cert.ed stones are not the same!

Long winded answer I know and I can go on & on on the subject but I don''t want to bore you. The answer to your questions, is I am happy to sell you any mounting I have on a diamond purchased elsewhere. Because I have a money back guarantee, I do not do custom work on new diamonds purchased elsewhere. If you want to wave getting your money back, I would consider it depending on my workload and the time of year. It takes a lot more effort and my time to sell something on the net as compared to OTC (over the counter) sales. PS limits the movies and everything we do in my postings. I certainly can recommend several Great Jewelers who only do things over the net. Believe it or not, their is 100 or so of us that all share and help each other. For me, I make LOTS more money in my Real Estate holdings which allows me to buy anything the store needs or I think is cool. Most of my toys, we make work and my days working are mostly behind me. For me, I am still having fun but it will not too many more years before the kids get to run it!

Best of luck,
Dan

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Dan,
Since you are from Texas, I assume you are familiar with Brian Gavin's A Cut Above branded diamonds. They are all graded AGS 0 and meet his very exacting standards. It is not a new stone, but currently in another setting. A have seen a number of options at my local B&M jeweler. What I have not been finding is a halo setting that sits flush with a wedding band. If you have a recommendation of a designer who produces this type of set, I would be interested in this information. I have a RB and would like a cushion shaped head with a halo. Thanks in advance for your help
1.gif

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/24/2008 12:56:11 PM
Author: risingsun
Dan,

Since you are from Texas, I assume you are familiar with Brian Gavin''s A Cut Above branded diamonds. They are all graded AGS 0 and meet his very exacting standards. It is not a new stone, but currently in another setting. A have seen a number of options at my local B&M jeweler. What I have not been finding is a halo setting that sits flush with a wedding band. If you have a recommendation of a designer who produces this type of set, I would be interested in this information. I have a RB and would like a cushion shaped head with a halo. Thanks in advance for your help
1.gif

Totally butting in here, but have you seen this
30.gif
30.gif

StoneOakDan

Rough_Rock

Marian,

Since you already have your diamond and it is a remount, I will do it. Yes, I know Brian from about 15 years ago when all of this internet selling was brand new. It''s no probelm in making you a "flush fit" halo.You you mind telling me the diamond size and your ring size? I can do whatever you what in normal one week from when we have the design ready. Enclosed is a picture of a smaller ring which we just finished which is a different take off of the Legacy Style ring. This ring can certainly be made as a flush fit. It''s not a question is I can make, it''s only a question of finding the ring combination of what you want.

Mischa-You are not butting in. Always happy to have another persons input because not everyone is going to agree with this old man. But judging from the side picture, this ring is not going to fit flus hbecause of the blug in the bottom. For me, it appears that this narrow ring is not going to have diamond clean out holes which is going to make 111-.005 diamonds very difficult to keep clean. Measuring from picture, it appears that the band width is 1.3mm and with diamonds down over 1/2 way, it makes this ring almost too narrow to be worn without bending. When a narrow ring likes this bends, diamonds are going to fall out. Beautiful ring and sure very nicely done but for me, I have to question that this ring is going to take the every day wear & tear that it is going to recieve. Just my two cents from having to stand begin the work we do.

Marian, I am enclosing a picture of a similar type ring which I just have happened to sell. This might be closer to what you want. I also, have a different version of the second "flush fit" ring I have done. If you would like to see it, I am happy to post it but I don''t want to violate PS policies. If you have a favorite ring, I am happy to take a look at the style and with your diamond size and finger size, give you an idea of the price.

Dan

1ct Radiant Micro Pave -- 4 pane.jpg

kbarro1

Shiny_Rock
Dan,
Since you are from Texas, I assume you are familiar with Brian Gavin''s A Cut Above branded diamonds. They are all graded AGS 0 and meet his very exacting standards. It is not a new stone, but currently in another setting. A have seen a number of options at my local B&M jeweler. What I have not been finding is a halo setting that sits flush with a wedding band. If you have a recommendation of a designer who produces this type of set, I would be interested in this information. I have a RB and would like a cushion shaped head with a halo. Thanks in advance for your help
1.gif
Marian,
Have you looked into the Martin Flyer "Flyer Fit" line? These are made specifically for a band to fit flush with the setting. Just a thought... you can go to their website at www.martinflyer.com and look at the micro pave section to see the Flyer Fit style.
Good luck!!!

Karla

KirbyCarolina

Rough_Rock
Dan,

The ring you posted above (the larger pictures)...... Can you tell me the size of the center stone? I love your work, alot of your designs totally encompass what I''m looking for in an engagement ring (round stone w/ cushion halo). My boyfriend and I have recently begun our search for "the" ring. I''ve been so indecisive, but when I went to your website, I was very excited :) I''m from Nebraska and in law school, and don''t have the time to travel all the way down to Texas to view all your beautiful pieces, although I''d love to see them in person. I think it''s wonderful that you offer the videos. Would you be willing to work with me over the phone/email??

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Dan,
As I mentioned before, this project is not going to be done now. It's probably a year in the future. I love my current setting, but am struggling with DSS [diamond shrinkage syndrome]
2.gif
I have to decide whether to go bigger [much money] or go halo [not so much money]. I have a 1.234 ct G VS 2 diamond. I have attached a pic of my current set.

I should probably contact you through your website.

WOW!! That pic came out huge...sorry, all
23.gif

004 tpf d.jpg

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2008 11:47:44 PM
Author: kbarro1

Dan,
1.gif
Marian,
Have you looked into the Martin Flyer ''Flyer Fit'' line? These are made specifically for a band to fit flush with the setting. Just a thought... you can go to their website at www.martinflyer.com and look at the micro pave section to see the Flyer Fit style.
Good luck!!!

Karla
Thanks, Karla. This is exactly the type of design that I''m interested in
36.gif

kbarro1

Shiny_Rock
Marian,
Your quite welcome! I looked at these and they are quite nice and it is nice not to have to worry about your band rubbing your setting! Good luck with your future project!

StoneOakDan

Rough_Rock
Dear KirbyCarolina,

The size of that stone is a 1.51 round and the Garnerranch Ring was 1.47 round but it does not really make any difference. It the way we do it, we make the ring for the actual diamond size and your finger size. If you go to my video section of my website, I also have made this ring in a four carat size (Bling Blog 8 row down 8 across) ring which for 4 carat Orangy brown. The Bling Blog lady''s family actually owns a jewelry store in Arizona and I have several rings for her and her friends. From that movie and resin, she decided tht the ring was "too much" for her taste and we did a version with 1/2 moons. The above (flush fit Leg. Style) was done 100% long distance for one of the larger drug company executive which was a referral. I also have made this in a single shank style with both smooth sides, engraved sides, and "full boat" (Pink Sapphire 5D-9A) diamonds and milgrain. Usually, from the final design time to ring on your finger, is about a week. At the same time I have video ready, I send you a "resin ring" for you try on and both the render''s (single picture) and the movies (usually 700 renders put together) all come off the same file and are exact to .01mm accuracy. I prefer to either talk on the phone because 1. I really have a tough time getting on thought in writing and 2. Thankfully , we stay pretty busy as we are just a B & M that certainly can offer you service and price. I have listed my cell number which I carry in my pocket and happy to talk to you. If I am with a customer, I will answer the call but am happy to call you back. Thanks for your interest.

Dan Dement 210 262 6608 Cell.

StoneOakDan

Rough_Rock
Hi Marion,

Your ring is certainly very pretty now but I do now how they shrink with time. They appear to be Platinum which is great because we certainly can do a little remodeling on the design and give you back your same platinum in the remodeling! Yes, we will use your same metal but do have to add metal in order to cast and have a button which helps push the metal into the investment. The only design problem that I forsee is the larger size of the accent stones don't flow around your center as well as smaller stones do. Now we can give you several options but first let me ask you a couple of questions. Can you give either a MM or diamond size on the accent stones and how many do you have? It appears they all are the same size. am I correct? Do you have a "favorite ring" you want your ring to look like? Email it or let me know where I can see it please. Happy to work with you on the project when you are ready however try not to be ready in December becasue we do get hammered!

A couple of options 1. Depending on the style you want, we might take your side stones and bamd and make you a full eternity band out of the ring and 2. We could make your engagement ring we "flush fit" so you could wear them together and use smaller diamonds in Halo effect. Question: Do you need to have the ring smooth for "rubber gloving" purposes? I ask because Doctors, Dentists, Nurses have special requirements. For some reason, of all professions, teachers are the toughest on rings! I always try to make teachers rings a little heavier and stronger.

A couple of things we try to do on all our designs 1. Put on a European shank or square bottom to keep the ring from rolling on your finger (yes it really helps), make sure all small stones have clean out holes so they stay clean and sparkly, make sure we don't bezel sent a center as they become "hand creme dams" and become impossible to clean! Because we give "long term" care care on our rings and when their are problems, we take care of it we try to not just make beautiful well made rings but trouble free, beautiful well made rings!

Happy to work with you and help anyway I can.

Dan Dement

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Dan,
I''m a mental health therapist, so gloves are not a problem! My accent stones are all 20 pointers. There are four in the engagement ring and five in the wedding band. The semimount, wedding ring and accent stones are all HOF. The rings, as they are, make a nice presentation on my hand and have their own little "fan club." My dilemma is whether to do the project, so I am planning to try on some halo styles to help me make my decision. You have been most helpful and it is great to know that this project is feasible
1.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2008 1:06:18 PM
Author: Miscka

Dan,

1.gif

Totally butting in here, but have you seen this
30.gif
30.gif
I meant to thank you for this link! This is a beauty
30.gif

StoneOakDan

Rough_Rock
Marian,

Your accent diamonds are certainly large and usually these are not the size stones used in the halo effect. You can do it but I don''t want your beautiful diamonds to end up looking like a 60''s 7 stone cluster ring. My usual suggestion is to forget what you have, let''s work on what you want and lets find the best way to get there. Just a couple of my ideas. Let''s design your new ring so it will be "flush fit" and you can either take your .20 pointers and make one eternity ring or two 1/2 eternity bands that fit on either side. We always try to make our rings with the "european shank" or square bottom which really helps on the ring rolling on finger. We always make "clean out " holes on the small stones to keep them sparkily and we don''t like bezel setting center stones because it makes them so hard to keep clean. Just my three rules of having a "happy beautiful ring" and happy customers but you are the one that makes the final decision.

Is your ring Platinum? I really don''t like to use White gold as it''s either 58% or 75% yellow white the difference being some white alloy. If you think Gold and platinum are expensive, chek out Rhodium! While gold is close to $900, Platinum close to $2,000....Rhodium is $9,000 an oz!!! I strongly recommend platinum but if not, Palladium is a great lower priced substitute. We have been casting Platinum for the eigth years we can been open and have almost three years casting Palladium. While not the 100 year plus metal that platinum is, palladium is a strong second at 75 years, compared to gold''s 25-30 year. We do it all but those are my recommendations.

When you get closer to your final style, you can either send me the picture on my website or post it here. I have lots of things to show that we have done already but I don''t want to violate the rules of Pricescope which I know I would do if I start posting thing I think you would like. Good Shopping and planning!

Dan

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Dan,
I had never intended to use the 20 pointers in a halo
23.gif
I know that would look "off," to say the least!! I would want a new setting with a matching wedding band, if I go ahead with this project. Thank you for all of your feedback and I will let you know when I make a decision. It certainly won''t be during your busy season. I also need to speak with my local B&M, from whom I purchased my rings, as I''m sure you will understand.

StoneOakDan

Rough_Rock
Marian,

It''s always best to go to your local B & M if he can do what you want done! If not, I am happy to help!
Thanks for all the kind posts and reply''s! We are very busy and I am going to have to limit my time and take care of OTC customers.

Farewell to all,
Dan

kbarro1

Shiny_Rock
Well, I finally got my ring and wanted to post pictures for gardnerranch to see! Once again, thanks so much for all of your help in this. I couldn''t be happier than I am right now an can''t even begin to explain how delicate this ring is! The pictures really don''t do it justice, but I think I will have to buy a new memory stick if I keep taking picture of this thing to try an capture its beauty
2.gif
I still can''t believe it is on my hand!

It won''t let me post my pictures b/c they are already on another post, so I am going to post my link...

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-finally-get-to-post-my-ring.85249/

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results