shape
carat
color
clarity

How Wide? plain wedding bands Pics requested!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi, I want the focus to be on my solitaire diamond in my e-ring, so for now, I want a plain platinum edding band. Someday, I would like to add a stackable or two - the very, very slim ones under 2mm.

However, I want my wedding band to be the only one I have, for the rest of my life. (stars in my eyes, yes) I see that most photos have matching-sized wedding bands, but I would really like one that''s wider. My e-ring is a 2.5mm ring. I have been trying various rings with it, and my favorite look, that oddly enough, favors this emerald-cut diamond the most, is a 6mm silver band ring I have. However, it''s flat, not comfort fit, and I want my wedding ring to have more personality than this flat silver band...

I want a band that is significant by itself, with some heft to it, especially for the times I am not wearing it with my e-ring. KristyDarling''s comfort-fit band caught my eye, but it is a 2.75mm width (and in an enlarged photo) I like the style of that, and wonder how that would look in a 5 or 6mm ? Since I can''t find a heavy comfort-fit in town to try on, I can''t picture how it would look.

Do any of you have plain bands you wear with solitaires or any ring, really? I don''t need it to be flush against my e-ring, in fact, prefer that it not be. But I don''t want it overpowering it because of a 2.3mm thickness and a 6mm width. I do have room to add an eternity band or stackable band of at least 4mm, even with my e-ring and the 6mm band I am using. But I wonder if the thickness of the heavy comfort-fit will overshadow a tiny, invisible-setting stackable (like those skinny Fay Cullen rings)

Maybe I should play it safe and get a 4mm comfort fit, but in the 1.5mm thickness instead of the heavier 2.3 (e-weddingbands.com) I am used to wearing chunky silver rings as my jewelry, so my skinny engagement ring, plus the same size (2.5mm) wedding band just looks too delicate on my finger. And I have a small finger! I am not into delicate rings...so this is an adjustment. Also, I see that 4mm is the most requested? I want something wider than average... unless it''s too "fat" next to my e-ring!

A dilemma! Anybody got input? I really love the band KristyDarling has, but wish I could see it more life-sized...it''s hard to find a life-size photo of any wedding band, and none in stores here fit what I have in mind. These huge stock photos at online stores are misleading, making rings look so huge and thick.

help! pics of plain, wider wedding bands with e-rings, anyone?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
AIGH AIGH AIGH ... you''re going in circles! My head hurts!
9.gif

I think you might be trying to accomplish too much here! All the math was killin'' me! But lemmie get this straight ... you wanna stack a

2.5 mm e-ring with a (what size?) Emerald cut stone
6 mm comfort fit plain polished platinum band
2 mm teensy tiny delicate Fay Cullen-esque stacking band (or bands)

girl, that''s 10.5 mm w/o accounting for any gapping. How LONG are your FINGERS??

Have you considered getting two flanking 2.5mm delicate Fay Cullenish bands ... one for each side of your EC e-ring (assuming there''s room to slide bands under the head of the ring) and having him slide BOTH of them on your finger during the ceremony. Then, later, if you want a big wide plain band, you could wear the "flankers" around THAT ... and be wearing "your original wedding bands" ... but, day to day, you''re not locked into such a THICK wedding band?

Larissa

Shiny_Rock
If I''m understanding the question correctly, it would help if we knew what your finger size was as well as the stone size of your e-ring.

I could happily show you a photo of a 5mm band with a 2.5mm e-ring, but my stone is only 1/2 carat on a size 7 finger so it looks wrong to me.

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Sorry for the arithmetic, my main question is does anyone have a wider band next to their wedding ring, and can they show it...

And yep, my size 5.5 finger can stack up a 6mm band ring, a 2.5mm engagement ring, and a 3mm silver eternity band, just fine. I don''t like delicate stuff, I like to have my finger filled! Just wearing my engagement ring along, I feel like a little girl with her first little delicate birthstone ring. I am not the delicate type.

My diamond is 6.5 x 4.something, a .71 Emerald cut. Looks very good next to my 6mm silver band ring, much better than it does next to a ring of the same size (maybe it''s a 2mm, not 2.5)

The Fay Cullen stackable I want someday is a 1.5mm wide ring. All those together are only 10mm wide in a stack. That will easily fit on my finger, yep.

Lariss, I''d love to see your band and ring, yes!

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I want to be "locked into" a thick wedding band daily, yes. I want to feel the weight of the marriage on my finger! lol I have to take my engagement ring off at night, and working in the yard, but I want the wedding band on allll the time.

As much as I am starting to hunger for diamonds, and I love my e-ring, my wedding band is the most important touchstone of all, and I want it to be the forever one, the one I or rarely take off. I have a "thing" about wedding bands, that worn alone, resemble the skinny rings you slide car keys on. I want my ring to be bold, without frightening my engagement ring, of course. I am accustomed to thick silver jewelry without many gemstones, so this skinny engagement ring needs some pumping up with a wider wedding band, in my opinion!

thanks for your replies!

N-jo

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay - I hear ya. I don''t have any pix I can think of ''cause it''s not that common a look around here. My own FMIL wears a wide 6-7mm band with a 2mm e-ring w/about a .25 carat RB stone and I don''t fancy the look particularly.

My OWN mom has a .75ish Emerald like you describe with two very very narrow flanking plain metal bands that she had soldered into "one ring". She wears it all the time. Probably where I get my ideas of "what''s right"!
2.gif

Do you like the Cartier rolling rings?

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
thanks for the suggestion, but I''m not really fond of the teeny rings, unless they are coupled with something wide...

having 10mm in a stack in my finger is about half-way up. So there is room for gapping, and I am a gap-girl, I dont like things that are meant to match or wrap or sit flush, that''s just a personal preference. The idea of two skinny diamond stackables on either side of the e-ring would be pretty and lovely for dressup, but on a daily basis, for tomboy me, it''s a bit too delicate.

I wear a 3/4 inch silver thick band on my right hand. Most of my adult life I have worn wide rings or stacks of rings that take up at least 3/4 inches, so 10mm, which is less than 1/2 an inch, is not a problem at all for me. Also, I probably won''t wear any future eternity bands on a daily basis... Just the e-ring and wide band.

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I actually have a Cartier rolling ring, that''s not real comfortable for me and I don''t want it as part of my wedding set.

I realize many of you prefer matching sizes of e-ring and wedding band, but I''m in the minority, that''s why I requested pics of wide wedding bands. I have searched and searched and haven''t found that combo yet here on the side, at least not in a "fat" band like the heavy comfort fit.

One more thing that is really not my taste (forgive me!) is band(s)and e-ring soldered together. I want to be able to remove the engagement ring and always leave the band, at any given time. Also, I like to twist my band rings a lot. And though I plan to stack sometimes with other rings (currently have a silver ring with burnished stones that looks amazing with my ring) I want my basic look to be wide band and engagement ring.

I''ll have to post some pics of what I''ve been playing with for stacking...I know a flat 6mm band works fine, am just worried about how a fat comfort fit band will work...

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
How about something like this (TTMD's set)? I know your e-ring doesn't have diamonds in the band, but you get the idea. Two bands give a more symmetrical look, and you could wear just the bands stacked when you don't wear your solitaire. And when you eventually add those stackers you could wear them with either one band or both.

But definitely get what YOU want. Yes, delicate bands are more popular right now, but these things come and go. Get what you are going to enjoy wearing forever.

ttmdflankset.jpg

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooh, Christa....I like your idea! I think N-jo''s ring lends itself very nicely to two plain bands on either side. Great for stacking alone or with other bands, like the Fay Cullen!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooh Christa - that's one of my fave looks! JMHO.

Here's a pix from one of the above posted threads, the closest perhaps to N-Jo's dream combo??

Source: Patty's combo from this thread

thinwidethin.jpg

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, now THAT''S what I''m talking about! And thanks for the link to other wide band pics.

I like the look of the two diamond bands flanking my e-ring, but I''m really looking forward to just one solid plain rounded wedding band that I can look at and think "that''s my forever band". Just want a one and only given at the ceremony, I''m sentimental that way. But that doesn''t mean I won''t accent it with eternity bands someday, and those posted here look fabulous. I figured I would probably use my wedding band as a spacer someday, so it''s probably smart to get it in a 4mm.

However, having tried on all of them again at noon, I decided maybe a 6mm is too wide for my forever band. This silver band costume jewelry junk ring shown in the photo is 4mm, and is rounded a bit, flatters my engagement ring. So, I guess that size in a heavy comfort fit will be okay with or without the e-ring beside it.

Thanks for all the help and the photos! Love this yellow gold stack! Delicious!

N-jo

njo4mmband.jpg

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
yes, my ring will go nicely with some small brilliants. I had always thought I''d get an end-to-end baquette wedding band, or a princess cut one with the diamonds set on the diagonal. Since I got my engagement ring, I''ve tried both with it, and it just doesn''t work. Might work with a 4mm wedding band in the middle, though!

I like the look of a band on either side... yet, as I look at that photo of that beautiful set, my eye wanders over and down to Kristy''s rounded band in her icon. I love the look of that rounded band! Gonna get that in a 4mm, I made up my mind. Wish I could find a pic of a real one in the size I want, but the photo of the silver band I posted is probably pretty close to how it would look. It''s 4mm curved on the inside, domed a bit, not as thick as I want my comfort-fit to be, but not flat, either. That ring actually looks really pretty with my e-ring.

N-jo

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
N-jo, it sounds like you know what you want--go for it and enjoy that it''s not what "everyone" else has!

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yes, I'll get what I want eventually... skinny rings just don't look good on me... I do want a wider ring. But after trying on all that lot at home at lunch, I decided maybe the 6mm is a little too wide, once thickness is added, too.

I wish I were in a place with stores that had a variety of thicknesses and types to try on! Out in the boondocks, here. That's why I wanted/needed to see how various widths and types of plain bands (real images, not stock photos) looked, here, so I appreciate the input.

I am in love with Kristy's band, though, so I imagine i'll get just what she told me she has, only in a 4mm. Or maybe 5mm.
11.gif
I tried on skinny rings on my lunch break, and they just don't make the diamond pop, not sure why.

I can't believe I didn't see that other thread on this, heaven knows I've searched for wide bands in the forums....

thank y'all!!!
n-jo

laine

Brilliant_Rock
I bought some cheap silver rings (less than 10 bucks each) from Sabrina Silver off Amazon.com. It was nice to be able to try on some different widths, in my size, and wear then around the house for hours to see what I liked.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/29/2006 4:45:39 PM
Author: laine
I bought some cheap silver rings (less than 10 bucks each) from Sabrina Silver off Amazon.com. It was nice to be able to try on some different widths, in my size, and wear then around the house for hours to see what I liked.

HOLY MACKREL, LAINE!!! What a FIND! They have knockoffs of FAMOUS designer brand wedding rings in stainless steel for, like, 14.95!! So perfect to be able to try out looks & see. (Better for men than for women as most of the designer''s they''ve copied are famous Men''s designer bands)

They even have a stainless version of MY DREAM RING for SWEETIE (that he vetoed!) ... maybe I''ll have to get him a little "wedding present"
31.gif
as a "knock about back up band"
11.gif

knockoffmensband.jpg

chol

Rough_Rock
I had your sentiments exactly. I went with a 12 mm plain band over 25 years ago and never regretted it. It felt funny at first, but got over it quickly. If you like the idea of this, i say go for it.

Date: 8/29/2006 1:00:08 PM
Author: N-jo
I want to be ''locked into'' a thick wedding band daily, yes. I want to feel the weight of the marriage on my finger! lol I have to take my engagement ring off at night, and working in the yard, but I want the wedding band on allll the time.

As much as I am starting to hunger for diamonds, and I love my e-ring, my wedding band is the most important touchstone of all, and I want it to be the forever one, the one I or rarely take off. I have a ''thing'' about wedding bands, that worn alone, resemble the skinny rings you slide car keys on. I want my ring to be bold, without frightening my engagement ring, of course. I am accustomed to thick silver jewelry without many gemstones, so this skinny engagement ring needs some pumping up with a wider wedding band, in my opinion!

thanks for your replies!

N-jo

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/30/2006 5:57:15 PM
Author: chol
I had your sentiments exactly. I went with a 12 mm plain band over 25 years ago and never regretted it. It felt funny at first, but got over it quickly. If you like the idea of this, i say go for it.
Wow. I''m envious of anyone with that much real estate on their fingers! I don''t think I''d be able to bend my stubby little finger with a 12mm band on it!
6.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
SDL that is just luscious. I''m glad you got the plain band that you wanted. It looks fantastic together. Congrats on your wedding too!

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I''ve done that, too, trying on similar cheaper bands in another metal.

I finally realized why I prefer the silver band against my diamond e-ring...not all of it has to do with the width, which I thought was showing off the diamond better.

It''s the fact that the silver ring is not shiny! It is white and glowy, and the sparkly diamond looks amazingly sharp and "framed" against it, not overpowered by a shiny band underneath. I just am not used to shiny jewelry, because I am a silver girl. The matte look of the old silver band I have been admiring with my ring is whiter and doesn''t take away from my teeny piece of ice. My emerald cut is only 6.5mm by 4.77mm, only .71, but looks pretty impressive when paired witih the right band. I don''t want to overwhelm it, I want it to be the focus. If it were 3 carats or something, I wouldn''t be this concerned!

So, I decided to go with a 4mm heavy comfort fit in platinum, with a brushed/satin finish from e-weddingbands. The great thing is, according to their customer service... if I don''t like the brushed matte look, I can always have it shined back to a polished finish. And if I decide that oh, the brushed was better after all, I can have it re-done without losing half the metal in my platinum ring.

here''s a pic of what I expect to get. I appreciate so much all your help. The thing I needed most was REAL photos of REAL rings. I can look at stock photos all day long and not have a clue how they''ll measure up and match up... so you all were a HUGE help.

I would love to see any brushed or beadblast bands next to diamonds, if anyone is so inclined. I realize I''m kind of different from the norm, so not sure if anyone goes matte instead of shiny, but I''d welcome more "real" photos.
cheers,
N-jo

brushedplatinum.jpg

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
N-jo, have you seen Wallermama''s set? She has an asscher and changing her rings from polished to brushed/satin made such a difference, so I think you might be on to something. There''s something about the contrast betweent the step cut diamond and the matte finish of the metal--it can kind of get lost against the high-polish finish.

Hopefully someone who knows how to find her before and after thread will chime in, but if you do a search for her user name the after pic was her avatar last time I looked.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
A jeweler can put a matte finish on a ring very quickly (and cheap!) if you want to get a WG ring to avoid "mixing" metals. I think matte with diamonds is a great look.

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Two answers, YES I have seen wallermama's AWESOME matte rings. I did a search before posting in this thread today. WOW they make that diamond jump, as if it didn't before, but wow...WOW. I saw these rings pictured at tradeshop.com and seized on them as exactly what I like.

Unfortunately white gold is out of the question for a couple reasons 1) I'm allergic -- finger was blistered within minutes and for days after about 40 minutes of trying on rings the first time, so I did not want to take a chance at all for the ring I want to have the rest of my life, and 2) I just like the color of platinum better... it has a "colder" look than white gold. Oh, and 3) I didn't want to try rhodium plating to test if that worked on me; I decided I didn't want to plate the metal of my ring. My assistant has re-plated her white gold ring 2 times in less than a year of wearing it, and it's too shiny for my tastes. I'm probably allergic to it, too, anyway.

Double-unfortunately, adding platinum rings made the diamond size shrink a bit, but I love my diamond, it's bigger than anyone else's in the office, and is quite a little chunk of ice for .71 carat. And fiery, that sucker is fierrrry. I can't get a decent pic like you folks manage, but the cut is excellent and the light return is extra-purty.

thanks again!

turnerdone.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guess I don''t understand why your silver ring makes your diamond look larger than if you got the same ring in PLT. Obviously you can put a matte finish on PLT as well. Have you ever tried your e-ring with a gemstone band? I tried on a sapphire band with mine and that REALLY made my diamond pop. Just an idea!
2.gif

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/31/2006 2:44:32 PM
Author: N-jo
Two answers, YES I have seen wallermama''s AWESOME matte rings. I did a search before posting in this thread today. WOW they make that diamond jump, as if it didn''t before, but wow...WOW. I saw these rings pictured at tradeshop.com and seized on them as exactly what I like.

Unfortunately white gold is out of the question for a couple reasons 1) I''m allergic -- finger was blistered within minutes and for days after about 40 minutes of trying on rings the first time, so I did not want to take a chance at all for the ring I want to have the rest of my life, and 2) I just like the color of platinum better... it has a ''colder'' look than white gold. Oh, and 3) I didn''t want to try rhodium plating to test if that worked on me; I decided I didn''t want to plate the metal of my ring. My assistant has re-plated her white gold ring 2 times in less than a year of wearing it, and it''s too shiny for my tastes. I''m probably allergic to it, too, anyway.

Double-unfortunately, adding platinum rings made the diamond size shrink a bit, but I love my diamond, it''s bigger than anyone else''s in the office, and is quite a little chunk of ice for .71 carat. And fiery, that sucker is fierrrry. I can''t get a decent pic like you folks manage, but the cut is excellent and the light return is extra-purty.

thanks again!
How does Platinum make your diamond shrink?
33.gif
Silver and platinum look similar... I''m trying to find a picture for you of a wider etoile ring with a solitare that is just gorgeous!
3.gif

Off to find that picture...

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/31/2006 3:36:40 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
I guess I don''t understand why your silver ring makes your diamond look larger than if you got the same ring in PLT. Obviously you can put a matte finish on PLT as well. Have you ever tried your e-ring with a gemstone band? I tried on a sapphire band with mine and that REALLY made my diamond pop. Just an idea!
2.gif
I could be wrong, but I thought what N-jo meant was that platinum made the diamond budget shrink so that she ended up with a smaller stone than she could have had with WG.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results