shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you wear your ering 24/7?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 12:14:12 AM
Author: diamondfan
OMG that is horrible. I cannot tell you how my guts would turn to liquid if that happened...not sure my hubby would notice right away because I do not always wear my rings if I am running around doing stuff...but he might notice eventually.

I want to build a much larger bolted into the foundation and have the house built around it type safe in my new house, with easy access to my stuff so I can get at it easily but it is easy to lock the stuff up after I wear it.
That''s what we have. The problem is, it''s hard for me to get at...so sometimes my ring goes into the coffee cups in the kitchen cupboard.

Once my new (*what was lost has now been found*) sapphire ER arrives at the end of the month, I''m going to have to come up with a better plan than the coffee cups or the tea towel drawer...or he''s gonna kill me.

I used to think the safest place for it was on my hand. But with this "gotta take the rings off as soon as I get home" OCD thing going on that''s not an option any more.

Maybe I should lock them in the car? hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

LS

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I wear my rings most of the day. It comes off during bedtime, showers, some cleaning, dish washing, and when I go to the gym.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 8:58:19 PM
Author: MonkeyPie

Date: 8/13/2008 8:50:57 PM
Author: Asscherhalo_lover
i usually wear mine 24/7, about the only time i take it off is if i''m cleaning with chemicals or if my fingers are feeling puffy and it gets uncomfy to wear.

Me too. I never take it off, not even for showers or washing my hands. I used to, but now I like how sparkly it looks afterwards!
Never take mine off Unless I am using something very toxic or travelling OS.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
no car!!!!

I saw these really cool safes that looks like a huge wardrobe thing, and it is large, has doors on it and different drawers and sections...I would frankly even lock up my nice costume and semi precious stuff too which now just sits out.

I have to be able to get in and out of it so that I use it. I want, when I am getting dressed, to be able to access stuff, open the safe, see things, get to them...otherwise I really end up not using my stuff well.

I also have that complete OCD thing too, and really find myself bugged by jewelry once I walk in the door.

krisvrn

Brilliant_Rock
i wear mine 24/7

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
I have a dish next to my bed that I put them in when I go to bed, I figure that if someone is going to burgle me when I am in the house I don''t want the burgler to have to bother me too much to get to them - safer for me that way. I am SUCH a chicken!
20.gif

somehowcollide

Brilliant_Rock
Take of my e-ring?!?! I feel absolutely naked without it!; my poor ring finger turns pink in shame
3.gif
Honestly, I take off most of my jewelry (studs/pearls) every day and clean it regularly. But I honestly cannot stand a day without my ering! Perhaps its because I''ve only had the pleasure of wearing it for a year? I only take it off when involved with outdoor activities and/or if there is a high risk of loosing it. But I do have a nervous/subconscious habit of twiddling and spinning my ering, and if it is not there I feel a very deep void.

Essentially, I am also a 24/7 girl.

I wonder if there is a deeper psyche to all this..? Perhaps newly engaged or married women wear it more often? Or maybe if you''ve had an upgrade or changed sets you don''t wear yours quite as regularly? Perhaps women (like diamondfan, for instance) with many pieces of jewelry have so many options that they prefer not to wear the same ring everyday? (I only have the one, so I suppose I have no other choices!)

It could be as simple as necessary adjustments for a career or lifestyle, or as complex as genuine doubts and insecurities about your relationship and future.

Ach, sometime I get to analytical!

(DF, thank you for letting me use you as an example, I hope you didn''t mind!!
1.gif
I admire all your lovely jewelry-and handbags *swoon*-to no end!)

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I take mine off when sleeping, showering, cleaning, doing dishes and most days in work I take it off also.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wear my ring if I am just sitting round the house. It definitely comes off if I am cleaning or doing any kind of housework. I always wear my ring to go out. I also love wearing my plain yellow gold wedding band on its own. That is definitely more wearable than my blingy ring!

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I take mine off for cleaning and working out. I guess I probably should take it off while I sleep.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I always wear my ring when I leave the house. Usually take it off as soon as I get home. Never shower or clean or do anything manual laborish while wearing it.

I made the mistake of sleeping in my engagement ring the first night I had it. BAD idea - I woke up and had scratched my neck and side of my face with the 6 prong setting, LOL! It was also so tight (hands swell over night) that I couldn't get it off.

Now it sleeps on a crystal ring holder when I get home.

Well, it's supposed to. Half the time it ends up on a candle in the bathroom, LOL! DH leaves his on the windowsill over the sink when he does the dishes. I used to get on him about it until he pointed out that:

1. It wasn't that expensive, so if he loses it the world will not end.
2. It's Tungsten Carbide and if he drops it in the garbage disposal he would be more worried about the garbage disposal then the ring...

Silly men. He also "lost" it for about a week. I found it behind a picture frame while cleaning.

ETA: He doesn't sleep/shower in his either.
ETAA: When I was working full time at Starbucks I wore my ring on a chain around my neck. I lost 2 rings down the drain (silver stuff, thank goodness) and decided it wasn't worth risking it! 'Sides, it made a pretty necklace.
2.gif

cbs102

Brilliant_Rock
i have a crystal ring holder beside my bed and also on the windowsill near our sink for when i do the dishes. i am so afraid that the pave will come off... i am a psycho! :)

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
This thread is made me go inspect my e-ring for the first time up close since I got it. Wow, I have made so many dings, especially on the shank near the diamonds.
23.gif
Milgrain can get destroyed with daily wear, I've found. Maybe I should rethink wearing the e-ring around the house. Even walking down the street, there are some people who swing their arms, pumping them as they walk and they whack my watch and e-ring with their watch/hardware sometimes. I've learned to keep my left hand close to my body.

marchswallowbird

Brilliant_Rock
I went backpacking recently and saw two women who were wearing engagement/wedding rings. I can''t imagine how they didn''t damage their rings.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
No jewelry (except studs) when:
Showering
Sleeping
Eating breakfast (though for me, that might count as still sleeping)
Getting ready (hair and make-up)
wearing PJs around the house

Plain band when:
Working out
Cooking
Cleaning
Volunteering (like lifting stuff, getting dirty)
Swimming (though sometimes I'll leave it at home)
T-shirt and jeans days
Traveling
Getting a massage
Interviewing for a job

E-ring and wband:
When I leave the house to go to work, dinner, shopping, anything social...

I'm a really traditional/sentimental person, so I'd always planned on ALWAYS wearing my w-band and e-ring like my mom does (I pretty much NEVER took off my e-ring) but a couple months after the wedding, I realized that it's really not practical.

ETA: DH and I keep ring boxes everywhere - he has a box in his car for when he goes to the gym/golfing and he keeps his ring in his dresser valet at night. I have a crystal ring holder where the rings go at night and a box in the kitchen so just in case, I won't lay it somewhere unsafe.

sparkleslee

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 1:39:51 PM
Author: Elmorton
No jewelry (except studs) when:

Showering

Sleeping

Eating breakfast (though for me, that might count as still sleeping)

Getting ready (hair and make-up)

wearing PJs around the house

Plain band when:

Working out

Cooking

Cleaning

Volunteering (like lifting stuff, getting dirty)

Swimming (though sometimes I''ll leave it at home)

T-shirt and jeans days

Traveling

Getting a massage

Interviewing for a job

E-ring and wband:

When I leave the house to go to work, dinner, shopping, anything social...

I''m a really traditional/sentimental person, so I''d always planned on ALWAYS wearing my w-band and e-ring like my mom does (I pretty much NEVER took off my e-ring) but a couple months after the wedding, I realized that it''s really not practical.

i ALSO didn''t wear my e-ring when interviewing for a job. DH asked why, but i didn''t really have any good reason other than it didn''t seem appropriate to draw attention to the diamond when i was trying to land myself a position. i still wore my wedding band but it''s more understated than wearing both rings...

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I think it just looks classier - whether we like it or not, size and style of e-ring can be "read" by people (how much money you make, how you spend it, and some people may even read into it sexual preference), and I want the focus to be on my work, nothing else. :)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t wear it all the time. Maybe about 80% of the time. I do have a wedding band that I wear once in awhile.

sparkleys

Rough_Rock
24/7, my mother is a big advocate of "you have it, wear it" and she has a one carat marquise with 26 baguettes around it. So I do the same, wear it all the time. But every morning before I put product on my hair I drop it in the cleaner and my husband cleans it and puts it back on my hand we make googly eyes at one another and we kiss.
30.gif

marchswallowbird

Brilliant_Rock
Awww, Sparklys, that is so cute.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 9:00:24 PM
Author: coatimundi
I wear it when I leave the house, but when I'm at home I take it off. I don't even wear a wedding band when I'm lounging around at home. Sometimes, I can't stand the feel of jewelry on my bod--weird, I know--especially for a PS'er!
9.gif

I am exactly the same way! The second I get home I take it all off!

ETA that I don't wear it when I play sports or do outdoorsy stuff either.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
I used to wear mine all the time except for in the shower... (to bed, rinsing dishes etc). I have this little crystal ring holder that I put it on now. I take it off before I got to bed and don''t put it back on until I leave for work the next day. Sometimes I just take it off and leave it off once I get home until the next day. I no longer do dishes in it or sleep in it at the very least.

My friend just went to Turkey, Bulgaria and Italy. She has a nice OEC ring with a half eternity band. She didn''t want to leave the ring behind since they have no safe and are in line to get a safe deposit box. She was showing me how she''d stash the ring in her mouth if someone tried to rob her. Too funny... I told her not to take it. I sure wouldn''t! I''d hide it in my house if I had to but traveling with a lot of bling isn''t the best idea. She also wore it to the gym to work out and actually popped the stone out of the ring. The prongs bent open! The horror!

My ring already has a ding on the band... I sent it back to get it fitted with my wedding band so I think they are going to try and buff that out for me. I''m already worried about how the eternity band is going to hold up!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, all of my jewelry is part of getting dressed in the morning and getting undressed in the evening. I put it all on (including e-ring and w-band) when I''m getting ready in the morning, and I take it all off when I put my PJs on at night!
9.gif

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
24/7, Except a little break in the morning when I put my rings in the ultrasonic with a dolop of ammonia, Dawn, and water while I put on make up. I think life''s too short anyway and these rings are gonna outlive me by many lifetimes as it is. May as well enjoy them to the hilt.
2.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 5:22:52 PM
Author: justjulia
24/7, Except a little break in the morning when I put my rings in the ultrasonic with a dolop of ammonia, Dawn, and water while I put on make up. I think life''s too short anyway and these rings are gonna outlive me by many lifetimes as it is. May as well enjoy them to the hilt.
2.gif
Hee hee - I''m less concerned about destroying it as I am about it destroying me!
2.gif

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 5:54:13 PM
Author: geckodani
Date: 8/14/2008 5:22:52 PM

Author: justjulia

24/7, Except a little break in the morning when I put my rings in the ultrasonic with a dolop of ammonia, Dawn, and water while I put on make up. I think life's too short anyway and these rings are gonna outlive me by many lifetimes as it is. May as well enjoy them to the hilt.
2.gif

Hee hee - I'm less concerned about destroying it as I am about it destroying me!
2.gif
This is true, don't cha know! ha ha
I just really enjoy waking up to squinting at the rainbows on my outstretched hand... and I guess I learned how to ever so slightly bend my knuckles so my eternity band doesn't scratch when I wash my face, and I grasp the stair rails gently, and well, my rings are a part of my fabric. I feel nekid w/o them. But, if I scratched myself in my sleep, I'd surely take em off. Somehow I don't. I actually use them (ok, gross out warning potential here) to scratch my little dogs' heads since they sleep with us... they love it.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m in the minority....... actually, what''s smaller than the minority?? I''m in the nano-minority.

I only wear my wedding set or any of my best jewelry maybe a dozen times a year, if that. I''m trying to break myself of that habit but I think my Grandmother''s mentality set in with me sometime during my 20''s and it just stuck. She used to save everything that was precious to her for special occasions. I find I even do that with my clothes. I know it''s ridiculous, but I tend to get very upset if something I love gets damaged or ruined in some way. I know I have to get over it and just enjoy my things because right now it''s more of a collection that actual jewelry that I wear.

ysj99

Shiny_Rock
Bump... such a great topic!

I wear my e-ring 24/7. To school, at home, showering, even working out! Although, if I run on the treadmill, I will turn the stone inwards so I don''t bang it on the side rails. The days I use the elliptical, I just look at the shiny and it motivates me to keep going! Keep healthy, someone loves me! hahaha

absolut_blonde

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have an e-ring (yet
11.gif
) but I have ALWAYS wondered -- those of you who take your rings off to work out, where do you store the rings? Assuming you work out at a public gym, that is.

I take off my watch & RHR, then stash them in my purse in a locker before working out. But they aren''t nearly as valuable as most e-rings are, either.

I would just feel so paranoid about putting something worth thousands of dollars in a gym locker with a combination lock! At the same time, I work out pretty intensely including heavy weights and could easily see damaging the type of delicate e-ring that I want.

I work out too often to skip a ring on workout days so... what is the solution?
4.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
DH locks his ring in the glove box of his car when he works out. I''ve locked mine in the locker before, but it''s freaked me out (even though it''s probably pretty safe when it''s padlocked).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results