shape
carat
color
clarity

The Search For The 3 to 4 carat OEC.

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
HA! Dreamer! Nothing to spill yet. The seller is sloooooower than molasses in January! She didn't phone me until 4:40 pm today and then said she had some additional paperwork for me regarding the diamond but couldn't get it out of the safe at the moment, she's off work tomorrow and will call me back on Thursday. Sigh.....

I was ready to move on this like right now and I'm not exactly being patient about it either. (I seriously dreamt about the dumb ring and tossed and turned about it all last night like some kind of lunatic), :nono: I mean seriously...I could easily talk myself out of this great deal of a purchase thinking no one in their right mind should be spending this kind of money even if it is a good deal....I am always so conservative with my money and this is soooo not conservative at all.... :-o Sigh.....

Just trying to keep a sense of humor here....(and no this is not the ring.....) :naughty:

TakeMeToYourLeader.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
MyDiamondSparkles|1334097546|3167899 said:
HA! Dreamer! Nothing to spill yet. The seller is sloooooower than molasses in January! She didn't phone me until 4:40 pm today and then said she had some additional paperwork for me regarding the diamond but couldn't get it out of the safe at the moment, she's off work tomorrow and will call me back on Thursday. Sigh.....

I was ready to move on this like right now and I'm not exactly being patient about it either. (I seriously dreamt about the dumb ring and tossed and turned about it all last night like some kind of lunatic), :nono: I mean seriously...I could easily talk myself out of this great deal of a purchase thinking no one in their right mind should be spending this kind of money even if it is a good deal....I am always so conservative with my money and this is soooo not conservative at all.... :-o Sigh.....

Just trying to keep a sense of humor here....(and no this is not the ring.....) :naughty:

hahahahahaha that is awesome :)

I hope the diamond is perfect! can't wait to see it!

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
Darn! Hoping to see the ring. Doesn't that seller know we are all waiting [sound of foot tapping].... I am sure you are going nuts!
I am soooo excited to see what you are getting...

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
vinjewels|1334114329|3168168 said:
Darn! Hoping to see the ring. Doesn't that seller know we are all waiting [sound of foot tapping].... I am sure you are going nuts!
I am soooo excited to see what you are getting...
Haha I feel the same way!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
can't wait to see what you get!!!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No photo yet???? We're getting cranky here! I can't wait to see your new beauty! :appl: :appl:

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1333951206|3166506 said:
ariel144|1333946578|3166494 said:
What about the one on Fay Cullen 4c $24,000. EGL USA K/L VS1-2 The setting is very pretty too. 9.6x 9.6 X 6.5

Oh, maybe that is the one you found...the depth is 67.7%

http://www.faycullen.com/European-Cut-Diamond-Rings/8776/

I hope that is not the one she found, it has been photo shopped in my opinion, the under table area is likely really dark in person from those images. Look at the EGL cert photo, it has a terrible nail head.

What is a "nail head"? thanks (you mean the center of the diamond is dark in the picture under the table?) Oh, so it looks like the head of a nail "hammered" into the stone? Just learning this stuff thanks. LOL

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
ariel144|1334197212|3168966 said:
Dreamer_D|1333951206|3166506 said:
ariel144|1333946578|3166494 said:
What about the one on Fay Cullen 4c $24,000. EGL USA K/L VS1-2 The setting is very pretty too. 9.6x 9.6 X 6.5

Oh, maybe that is the one you found...the depth is 67.7%

http://www.faycullen.com/European-Cut-Diamond-Rings/8776/

I hope that is not the one she found, it has been photo shopped in my opinion, the under table area is likely really dark in person from those images. Look at the EGL cert photo, it has a terrible nail head.

What is a "nail head"? thanks (you mean the center of the diamond is dark in the picture under the table?) Oh, so it looks like the head of a nail "hammered" into the stone? Just learning this stuff thanks. LOL

You got it ::)

The red flags of poor cut with any diamond are nail head and fish eye ;)) Nail head is over dark under the table, a problem of a too deep stone. Since old cuts are very deep you can imagine how this is a very common issue. Fish eye is basically leakage, or facets that are not reflecting light back at your eye but instead are just scattering it around, resulting in a ring around the central area of the stone that is dark, or hazy looking. In old cuts, that ring can also be caused by the girdle reflecting in the stone because girdles are often rough; you can see the girdle reflection because those facets are not reflecting light the way we might like them to. Fish eye is common in shallow stones.

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, no photos yet and quite frankly, I am beyond frustrated! I phoned the dealer last Thursday to arrange the purchase and they told me to phone back on Monday so they could get the paperwork ready. I told them that I hoped the diamond would still be available then, I mean what if someone else looks at it and the person assured me it would be available only to me as they would personally put it in the safe so no one else would even see it. So I phone back today (Monday) and now I am told another buyer is taking a second look at it later in the week and if he doesn't want it then they can sell it to me. What?!!? Let me get this straight here, the dealer has a buyer in hand right now, but they are going to wait until a second buyer takes another look at it then makes a decision? I can not make sense of this at all :!: Forgive me PSers, but I am not so sure I I like the idea of having someone leftovers if that doesn't sound too snotty of me. :roll:

I felt like saying--but didn't say: "Well I have another diamond I am considering (which is true although I prefer this one--not telling the dealer that though) and I think I am going to go ahead and purchase the other one since it is available right now". Where is that sticking my tongue out icon when I need it?????

And so what if I wait until later in the week and then both diamonds are sold? I mean geesh, what then? Start the search all over again????

I am about over this larger OEC search. I've just about had it. I'm so upset right now. :nono:

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
MyDiamondSparkles|1334597887|3172450 said:
Sorry, no photos yet and quite frankly, I am beyond frustrated! I phoned the dealer last Thursday to arrange the purchase and they told me to phone back on Monday so they could get the paperwork ready. I told them that I hoped the diamond would still be available then, I mean what if someone else looks at it and the person assured me it would be available only to me as they would personally put it in the safe so no one else would even see it. So I phone back today (Monday) and now I am told another buyer is taking a second look at it later in the week and if he doesn't want it then they can sell it to me. What?!!? Let me get this straight here, the dealer has a buyer in hand right now, but they are going to wait until a second buyer takes another look at it then makes a decision? I can not make sense of this at all :!: Forgive me PSers, but I am not so sure I I like the idea of having someone leftovers if that doesn't sound too snotty of me. :roll:

I felt like saying--but didn't say: "Well I have another diamond I am considering (which is true although I prefer this one--not telling the dealer that though) and I think I am going to go ahead and purchase the other one since it is available right now". Where is that sticking my tongue out icon when I need it?????

And so what if I wait until later in the week and then both diamonds are sold? I mean geesh, what then? Start the search all over again????

I am about over this larger OEC search. I've just about had it. I'm so upset right now. :nono:
That is completely ridiculous! I am sorry that this situation has turned out to be so frustrating.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is the oldest sales ploy in the book. I had someone on ebay pull it on me too and I walked. I read those types of comments as meaning they do not want to sell it to me, for whatever reason -- I want it shipped to an appraiser and they don't want that, for example. In my case of the ebay sale he agreed to offer me a three day return period and then basically changed his mind about it, so gave me a song and dance about a local buyer. They might also be tryign to make you feel rushed to buy it at their price, or offer more. NOPE NOPE NOPE.

My mantra: There are *always* other diamonds. ALWAYS!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, sorry to hear that, MDS. I hear you on the frustration.

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
Although, I am grateful for the good vendors I have found in the industry, there are so many that really don't seem to need or want the business. Its shocking. So sorry MDS! Hang in there!

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I'm just popping in to give you all an update. So the seller emailed me on Thursday and said for me to phone her because she had good news. When she didn't hear back from me in a few hours she phoned. I was busy all day Thursday and didn't have time to phone her, answer her phone calls or email her. She emailed me again on Saturday--I have still not responded to her. My work is crazy busy and it leaves me little time for the nonsense she pulled the other day. I honestly can't decide whether or not I want to do business with her.

Can I get some PS "therapy, please? Is it stupid of me to want to pass on this deal? It is a 4.9-ish carat OEC VVS1 for 30k, seller said it was I or J on first phone call...by the second phone call she said it was more like a K. And see, that's the other thing that bothers me. No GIA report. Just a GIA gemologist (on their staff) report.

The other thing is is that what if it is too large? My ring size is 7--I am looking for coverage like this: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ive-cured-my-dss-its-an-n-si-1.152064/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ive-cured-my-dss-its-an-n-si-1.152064/[/URL] which is of 9.49-9.54x5.58. Her fingers look smaller than mine, I think I read in another post her RS is 4.5. The diamond I am considering is 11.00 x 11.00 mm. Any thoughts on this? Is the coverage going to be about the same or should I back down to a 3.5-4 carat?

Seriously any other decision I make is made in 2.5 seconds. Wall color for living room, this one, new sofa, that one. Why is diamond shopping so flipping hard? :???:

Finally, can any of you think of any other rings/ diamonds I might be interested in? I know the 3 carat one on RL--I should email the seller for mm measurements on it as they aren't posted. Anything else you can think of?

And what about going the MRB recut into an OEC--good or bad idea?

Thanks everyone. :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would call back, require a return policy and evaluate it in person.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1335128076|3177933 said:
I would call back, require a return policy and evaluate it in person.
I completely agree with Gypsy.

Mrs.W 514

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Gypsy as well. Making a purchase like this without seeing the stone in person is hard. Get that beauty shipped to you then decide if you want to keep it or not.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
ditto. And, for a purchase like this, I would send it to Dave Atlas for an opinion.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dreamer_D|1335230271|3178962 said:
ditto. And, for a purchase like this, I would send it to Dave Atlas for an opinion.

Definitely! If there's no return policy, I wouldn't even consider buying it sight unseen (in person).

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Just an update: I never did phone the 5 carat dealer back--sorry, I am a snob when it comes to poor service--I don't care how good the deal is. I am also officially sick of looking. :nono: So I've come here for help, please.

I want an OEC. I've pretty much decided I want JKLM--I'd prefer to stay above L but would look at the right N. Size, needs to be 3.5-5 carats, 4 carat (10mm-ish) is my sweet spot. Clarity, I like eye clean--and I am talking from 3-6 inches away--I don't mind seeing a tiny white inclusion but I do not ever want to see black unless it is totally prong-able. The diamond in my Avatar is an Si2 and totally eye clean from an inch away--I am fine with an Si2. Budget--well as much as I've love to stay under 20k I am not finding anything so dh is kicking in another 10k and says "Life's short, get what you want". Yay! --I am sure he means within reason mind you....lol...and really I am more comfortable at $25k.

Is this a ridiculously low budget? Is 25k not enough? Is 30k not enough? Or am I just looking in the wrong places?

Ebay might be a great place to find under 1 carat diamonds but larger diamonds are a needle in a haystack there. Unless anyone knows of anything there I might have missed, I am pretty certain I am gong to phone a vendor on Monday. Who's the best? Or is it that I need to work with several to find what I want?

Can someone please show me good photos of fish eye? I "thought" I knew what it was but after a few PSers posted photos of excellent cut OECs that to me, looked like they had fish eye, I obviously need to learn more.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about that awesome 4c on JBEG ? It's 10mm+ and 30k.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
haha, great minds think alike:) it is gorgeous, and I think sometimes they have a little flexibility in their pricing...

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I emailed JBEG about that one, but they said they brought it in for a buyer and she was still deciding if she wanted it or not. The other thing is that the color and clarity are a guestimate? It doesn't have an EGL or a GIA? And then I keep thinking I can get a higher color for the price, but maybe I can't? Maybe that's unrealistic? Maybe the higher colors are going to be wonky stones like the 2.89 OEC they have?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did you look on OWD also? The other thing is that larger stones are harder to find because so many retailers will just send them off to be recut to ideal RB proportions. There's a pretty 3.64 on eBay but it's only 9.7mm I think and the photo looks browner than the L grade estimate. It's 21k. You could also have JBEG keep an eye out for you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results