shape
carat
color
clarity

modern cushion VS antique cushion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/27/2005 45:17 AM
Author: DiaGem
the pavilion facets that are intersecting with the culet are polished at a shallow degrees, about 36 degrees. thats to make sure the color doesnt leak out...
Not familiar with the optics of fluids
23.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/27/2005 4:12:38 AM

GIA graded the REGENT's symmetry and polish as very good to excelent, a rare grade for a diamond cut in 1704. Dont you agree?
Sure I do. I do not know by hart what other large colorless diamonds reside public French collections. That this one has allot more going for it than mass, it is obvious, unidisputable common knowledge - as far as I know.

Too bad there are no little brothers of the Regent made... even the "regent" cut doesn't look like the namesake, unfortunately.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The Regent "CUT" is just a name, sorry a brand name, it has nothing to do with the historic speciment.

But my friend the omc cutter is able to clone little brothers and sisters of the Regent Diamond...

But they are grabed as soon as they hit the market!!!

[$$)]

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
ANA- I wonder if the one that you posted that looks like a princess is a "Cushette"???

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
What do you mean DiaGem re: the second sketch is used for fancy colored diamonds? I got it off of the DBOF DT site when they were posting different types of cushion faceting...this one can''t be limited to fancy colors, can it? Isn''t it just a straigh up old mine cut? It amazes me how many "cushions" are out there!
18.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/27/2005 9:32:20 AM
Author: moremoremore
ANA- I wonder if the one that you posted that looks like a princess is a ''Cushette''???
No idea... the diamond corresponding to the respective GIA plot didn''t come with any name attached at all.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Ana- it's so funny how you posted a "cushion brilliant" and this "cushion brilliant" (the modern cut...or should I say faceting... I prefer) looks *nothing* like it!!! Why don't we just go for rounds...it so much easier- maybe we like a good challenge!!!

cushionbrilliant.jpg

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
MMM,

Its not a Old-Mine Cut sketch, it may be used for any gem-stone as far as the faceting is concerned, but these type of pavilions are used mainly for fancy colored diamonds, or colored gemstones. it preserves more of the actuall weight, because it has two steps 1 for the weight retention, 2 for the fire while looking at the diamond face-up.

But again, for fancy color diamonds the trick is in the brillianteering of the scond step half way from the pavilion to the culet.

Am i making sence to you? i hope so.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/27/2005 9:38:38 AM
Author: moremoremore
Ana- it''s so funny how you posted a ''cushion brilliant'' and this ''cushion brilliant'' (the modern cut...or should I say faceting... I prefer) looks *nothing* like it!!! Why don''t we just go for rounds...it so much easier- maybe we like a good challenge!!!
Yeah... I''ve realized the confusion only after the picture got attached. The name was just hanging in there.

Is there some standard name-calling for these cut versions ? aside GIA calling everything "modified brilliant" that is...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/27/2005 9:42:30 AM

But again, for fancy color diamonds the trick is in the brillianteering of the scond step half way from the pavilion to the culet.
You mentioned this before... What does help color depth in such a cut ? The less steep angles of the bottow tier turn on brilliance (I guess), but so does the round brilliant cut and that doesnt help color stand out at all.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
It''s crazy Ana!!! I only know one thing...that the cushion that has the elongated facets like a round is being ref''d to on the GOG site, the DBOF site, and I think Niceice as "modern brilliant cushion* eventhough not all others are antique! It''s just a way of pointing out the facet pattern I guess

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ana,

I mentioned it before at 36 degrees for fancy color!!! Round pavilions are at a strict 41 degrees.

41 is a bad number for color retention...

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In my opinion offcourse, round diamonds are the simplest of all, fancy shapes are much more interesting to look at and to produce jewelry for sure.

the more rounds you see in jewelry, the easier to produce!!!

the more fancy shape diamonds in a piece of jewelry the more difficult, and labor costlier it is.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I was wandering, can anyone give me a appr. opinion on cost differences between a modern cushion diamond and an antique Old-Mine Cut diamond.

which cost more??

1.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...I don''t know if there would be a premium on an antique old mine cut...or would it be discounted? Well, I don''t have much to hide so .... my modern brilliant cushion (a 2.14 E Vs2, Ex/Ex) was $22,000.00 (and that''s a p.s. price with a white gold setting included (about $100 bucks?). I noticed that on bluenile, which has the listing for most of the modern brilliants, they are a lot more expensive than other cushions...but I wonder if that''s just for the Ex/Ex or Vg/Ex...then again, I haven''t seen too many of the modern brilliant cushions with less than Ex or Vg....I think that''s the point to the "modern brilliant" Whe the hell knows LOL

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results