shape
carat
color
clarity

G vs D-E color question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 6/29/2004 1:42:43 PM Greg wrote:

I think it depends on your eye for color. My fiancée and I could easily spot the color in any stone less than an E. We could spot a G stone even without putting it beside something whiter (even face up), with the F grade, we were sometime-ish. We're both artists though, and both have a keen eye for color.

A lot of posters here seem to think that little matters besides cut quality. I personally think that anything about the stone that's visible is important. I'd agree that cut is the most important attribute of a stone, but color is a VERY VERY close second.

Speaking strictly what your paying for vs. what the diamond looks like, I think a lower clarity for a more colorless diamond would definitely a good trade-off.----------------
Greg touches nicely upon several important facts here. He and his fiance can see what many can not. Lower clarity, higher color IS a good trade off if you can not see the inclusions, or if they do not bother you. I have a client who can see VS2 inclusions from accross the table and they bother him.

I would also agree, that for most people the most noticeable thing other than the cut is the color.

What he does not say directly but through inference is that he and his fiance prefer the higher colors of D and E. Many of my clients prefer the darker colors. It is important to know what your lady prefers rather than assuming it for her. It is acceptable to like the lower colors, especially if they go better with your skin tones. My wife will take a D color any day and does not care if the stone is an I1 so long as it is a nice looking I1, not black things visible from accross the street. Me, I think one of the prettiest stones I have ever seen was an N-O color EightStar set next to an incredible green tourmaline. The two stones fed off of each other and both were enhanced by the other's color.

As you are seeing from all of the responses Mikey is that there is a LOT of personal preference wrapped in answering your question, and that it is not always possible to give only one correct answer... You like what you got, and that is the best possible answer that there is. Now let's hope she likes it as much as you do!

Wink

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Researcher...yanno I never thought of that before...thank you so much for setting me straight.
rolleyes.gif
It's not like I have spent 1.5 years on here helping people choose diamonds for their budget...whatever the budget may be....nah.
2.gif

When he noted TON of money..I'm thinking cost comparisons. If you quantify something using nebulous terms such as 'ton', people will make assumptions. I just wanted to make sure he didn't get ripped off and spend something like $20k for a $12k ring without even knowing it.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
No problem, Mara! It's hard to remember that not everyone sees things from the same perspective!
1.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Oh, and I do see your point of making sure he didn't spend too much--that would be horrible!!! I just wanted to make sure he didn't feel as though his purchase was just a drop in the bucket so to speak
2.gif

mikey71497

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys, seriously for all the responses. And yes Mara, I paid 12,400 for everything total. Good guess!!! 12k was alot for me, i have been saving for a long time. I even had to sell my beloved motorcycle to be able to afford this ring. It was all worth it in the end. I cant wait to see her face when i give it to her.
love.gif
9.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Mikey71497~
Your girl is going to LOVE her ring! And it will mean so much to her that you sold your bike to help pay for it. What a guy!!! She's a lucky girl to have someone who wants to spoil her that way
1.gif

sluke

Shiny_Rock
Lucky girl! For you to sell your motorcycle so that she can have a ring...that is something, regardless of the size or color of the diamond. Your heart is priceless!

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on such a big and important purchase Mikey!

There have been lots of comments about the variations in people's sensitivity to color, and I agree that G is a very white color and any visible differences will be so slight that they probably won't notice. Taking that a step farther, one thing no one mentioned is that in my experience, non-educated-about-diamonds-people don't look at color unless it is very obvious. They look first a size and then general beauty aka sparkle. They look at shape and the settings. They try them all on and see how they look on their hands, etc. I've never seen women who aren't very diamond knowledgable focus on the specifics. If your women are diamond savvy, this is probably not relevant. But if they haven't diamond shopped, they will be blown away by your ring. And even if they are, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results