shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on buying an engagement ring for my wife...

cbass33

Rough_Rock
Somehow I managed to get married without a engagement ring or wedding band. I thought I was "in the clear" but my wife thinks differently now. :tongue:

I have shopped the local jewelers but haven't really found what I wanted. Although, I was able to find the setting she liked and the shape. I have read the forum, picked over the internet and read until my mind went numb. I now know the generalities and how what to look for but unfortunately I am a "by the numbers" kind of guy and the beauty of the stones are lost on me.

I though it may be best to turn to you good people with taste and expertise to help me pick out the diamond (or maybe stop me before I make a bad decision).

Janis (my wife) would like the following setting:

ring_45.jpg

The only other "must haves" are:

A square radiant cut
Under 1.5c (I believe that is the largest stone that will fit in that setting - she wears a size 4.5 ring)
$6,500 max for the diamond.

Any advice and/or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Chris

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since1910 sells Simon G but I didnt see it on their website...
http://www.since1910.com/engagement/Simon-G.aspx?gclid=CNaKv_u72q0CFQmd7Qod2UNqnA

You can talk to them about helping you find a radiant or you can look at James Allen. You can request
up to 3 assets free of charge. Find stones that you like then post for opinions. Then when you have
narrowed it down to 3, request asset images.

This one is only very good cut but it looked like one of the nicer ones to me.
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS1-Premium-Cut-Radiant-Diamond-1384065.asp

cbass33

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1326921066|3106108 said:
http://www.since1910.com/engagement/Simon-G.aspx?gclid=CNaKv_u72q0CFQmd7Qod2UNqnA

You can talk to them about helping you find a radiant or you can look at James Allen. You can request
up to 3 assets free of charge. Find stones that you like then post for opinions. Then when you have

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS1-Premium-Cut-Radiant-Diamond-1384065.asp

Thanks for the quick reply. I did receive a "recommendation" from James allen.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Radiant-Diamond-1398054.asp

It looks like a dog compared to what you linked!

-Chris

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would definitely get in touch with a Simon G dealer and send them that pic. Many times retailers can't put the entire designer line on their websites but can get in any ring from that line for you.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that setting. And I don't know of anything else that looks like it. And I really think you should get that exact setting and not settle for anything else. She deserves her hearts desire.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
There is something very cool about the open parts of the setting! Agree with get her what she wants!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You may already realize this, but with a designer setting like that, you buy the stone and then a jeweler who carries Simon G will send the stone to Simon G so they can make the setting to fit the stone (or that is how most designers work). I think you need a pretty square radiant for that setting.

cbass33

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the link - I sent Since1910 an email. Would you not suggest buying a diamond directly from them?

That is a nice looking diamond. Is it better/easier to buy the ring and diamond from the same site?

-Chris

cbass33

Rough_Rock
Amys Bling & farmer gal,

Thank you for the links. I am set on the square radiant - so I will focus my search there. I think that the 1ct may be a bit smaller than I want. I need to wait and hear what the setting will cost to see how much I have left over for the diamond.

Gypsy & winternight

You guys are right - I will purchase that setting.

diamondseeker2006

I did not know that. I assumed that they fit the stone to the setting "in house" - thank you for the clarification. I am set on a square radiant.

Thanks guys - the search for the perfect diamond continues! Are there other recommended jewelers that carry Simon G aside from Since1910?

-Chris

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cbass33|1326986018|3106637 said:

Thanks for the link - I sent Since1910 an email. Would you not suggest buying a diamond directly from them?

That is a nice looking diamond. Is it better/easier to buy the ring and diamond from the same site?

-Chris

It is easier to buy the ring/setting from the same vendor. I dont know what 1910 can provide as far as pictures and aset
images of the stones. As you can see from JA, there are a lot of "dog" radiants out there so you really need to see pics.
I really dislike that one JA recommended. Ask 1910 if they can provide pictures and asets.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes- purchasing the stone and setting from the same vendor will same some time and hassle.

cbass33

Rough_Rock
OK...I got some info on 3 stones. Are any of them exciting?

Measurements - 6.03 x 5.89 x 4.33 mm
Carat - 1.23 carat
Color - F
Clarity - VS2
Depth - 73.5%
Crown Height - ??
Pavilion Depth - ??
Table - 64%
Girdle - Thick to Very Thick
Cutlet - None
Polish - Excellent
Symmetry - Very Good
Fluorescence - None
Price - $6,704

Measurements - 6.61 x 5.48 x 4.02 mm
Carat - 1.20
Color - G
Clarity - SI1
Depth - 73.4%
Table - 69%
Crown Height - 9%
Pavilion Depth - 61%
Girdle - ??
Cutlet - ??
Polish - Very Good
Symmetry - Very Good
Fluorescence - ??
Price - $5,950

Measurements - 6.41 x 5.54 x 3.86 mm
Carat - 1.21
Color - F
Clarity - VS2
Depth - 69.7%
Table - 60%
Crown Height - 19%
Pavilion Depth - 48%
Girdle - ??
Cutlet - ??
Polish - Very Good
Symmetry - Very Good
Fluorescence - ??
Price - $7,200

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Need photos and ASET images to be sure. Also, based on the measurements, none of them are very 'square.'

cbass33

Rough_Rock
rubybeth|1327074980|3107438 said:
Need photos and ASET images to be sure. Also, based on the measurements, none of them are very 'square.'

Two of those stones are local, so I do not know if they will make those images available to me (if they have them). But, you are right, they do not seem particularly square. I guess I should keep looking...

-Chris

EDITED:

I also was sent this one:

Measurements - 6.00 x 5.70 x 3.95 mm
Carat - 1.21
Color - G
Clarity - VS2
Depth - 69.3%
Table - 67%
Crown Height - ??
Pavilion Depth - ??
Girdle - Thick to Very Thick
Cutlet - None
Polish - Excellent
Symmetry - Very Good
Fluorescence - None
Price - $6,618

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cbass- what lab graded those stones? Some labs are more lenient than others and that pacts the grading of color and clarity and price.

cbass33

Rough_Rock
Amys Bling|1327079445|3107490 said:
Cbass- what lab graded those stones? Some labs are more lenient than others and that pacts the grading of color and clarity and price.

1. GIA
2. Unknown
3. Unknown
4. GIA

I also found this one in a "virtual" showroom.

Measurements - 5.91 x 5.86 x 4.21 mm
Carat - 1.20
Color - f
Clarity - VS2
Depth - 71.9%
Table - 63.0%
Crown Height - ??
Pavilion Depth - ??
Girdle - Slightly Thick-Thick
Cutlet - None
Polish - Excellent
Symmetry - Very Good
Fluorescence - None
Price - $7,734

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Late to this thread but you might also try contacting Mark T at engagementringsdirect.com. He's located in the diamond district and has access to many stones and can eyeball them easily. I'm not sure if he is a Simon G retailer per se, but something's Jewelers can sill purchase a setting from a designer even if they are not an official retailer. Mark is know around here for his great eye and hunting down cushions but he may be able to find you a square radiant too..

cbass33

Rough_Rock
mrssalvo|1327087315|3107583 said:
Late to this thread but you might also try contacting Mark T at engagementringsdirect.com. He's located in the diamond district and has access to many stones and can eyeball them easily. I'm not sure if he is a Simon G retailer per se, but something's Jewelers can sill purchase a setting from a designer even if they are not an official retailer. Mark is know around here for his great eye and hunting down cushions but he may be able to find you a square radiant too..

Thanks, I sent and email!

-Chris

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
cbass33|1327085321|3107552 said:
Amys Bling|1327079445|3107490 said:

1. GIA
2. Unknown
3. Unknown
4. GIA

I also found this one in a "virtual" showroom.

Measurements - 5.91 x 5.86 x 4.21 mm
Carat - 1.20
Color - f
Clarity - VS2
Depth - 71.9%
Table - 63.0%
Crown Height - ??
Pavilion Depth - ??
Girdle - Slightly Thick-Thick
Cutlet - None
Polish - Excellent
Symmetry - Very Good
Fluorescence - None
Price - $7,734

well, right off the bat- GIA doesn't grade cut quality of princess or fancies. What you really need are photos and ASET images to determine how well the stone is cut and the performance of the stone.

cbass33

Rough_Rock
Amys Bling|1327095614|3107707 said:
well, right off the bat- GIA doesn't grade cut quality of princess or fancies. What you really need are photos and ASET images to determine how well the stone is cut and the performance of the stone.

Gotcha - I'll get some.

cbass33

Rough_Rock
I'm still working away to find a stone for that Simon G setting. It has turned out to be harder than I thought. In speaking with the local jeweler and working with Mark T I have discovered a few things:

1. The setting is designed around a 6.5mm opening.
2. Square radiants near 6.5mm are non-existent (or maybe too expensive)
3. Cushion cuts seem to be available near that size (around 1.25c) but my wife isn't that interested in a cushion (or round)

I'm open to suggestions, but I seem to be stuck with trying to figure out a different setting and going with a rectangular radiant. This is not what I want to do.

On another note, my wife did send this picture and expressed interest - but I'm guessing this is big bucks!

tumblr_lnc0xzYTMb1qd6b51o1_500.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cbass33|1327593453|3112214 said:
I'm still working away to find a stone for that Simon G setting. It has turned out to be harder than I thought. In speaking with the local jeweler and working with Mark T I have discovered a few things:

1. The setting is designed around a 6.5mm opening.
2. Square radiants near 6.5mm are non-existent (or maybe too expensive)
3. Cushion cuts seem to be available near that size (around 1.25c) but my wife isn't that interested in a cushion (or round)

I'm open to suggestions, but I seem to be stuck with trying to figure out a different setting and going with a rectangular radiant. This is not what I want to do.

On another note, my wife did send this picture and expressed interest - but I'm guessing this is big bucks!

I can understand her interest in that ring! It is gorgeous! Unless you get an estate piece, It (most likely) would be a custom setting whihc would eat up much of your budget--but is doable.

Here is a style of similar note...:

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Rings-Antique-Vintage/80-100ctwest-OEC-Cluster-Ring/11844768_tnSF38#!i=837445782&k=MrLqA

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Rings-Antique-Vintage/1ct-Old-European-Cut-Diamond/17507528_HQ4kt5#!i=1332513299&k=WfXbBNz

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Rings-Antique-Vintage/186ctw-Old-European-Cut/20825738_4F3q6v#!i=1653167639&k=5GR5sB8

cheers--Sharon

cbass33

Rough_Rock
canuk-gal|1327593800|3112218 said:

Sharon,

Wow - those are pretty close. I guess that style is more available than I thought.

Thanks,

Chris

cbass33

Rough_Rock
I was able to get a picture of option 4 (posted above). Unfortunately it is a horrible picture. The same seller has option number 1 (or at least a line on it - it is on loan right now). He claims that he is unable to get pictures of 1 and better pictures of 4. He also does not have ASET images. This is frustrating.

Here is the horrible picture of 4 and it the specs from the GIA report:

CUT-CORNERED SQUARE MODIFIED BRILLIANT
Measurements: 6.00 x 5.70 x 3.95 mm
Carat Weight: 1.21 carat
Color Grade: G
Clarity Grade: VS2

PROPORTIONS:
Depth: 69.3%
Table: 67%
Girdle: Thick to Extremely Thick
Culet: None

FINISH:
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None

download.jpg

cbass33

Rough_Rock
What do you all think of this? My wife has expressed interest in an emerald cut and I was shown this one.

Report Type: GIA Diamond Grading Report
Date of Issue: April 03, 2008

EMERALD CUT
Measurements: 6.41 x 5.91 x 3.82 mm
Carat Weight: 1.26 carat
Color Grade: F
Clarity Grade: VS2

PROPORTIONS:
Depth: 64.6%
Table: 67%
Girdle: Slightly Thick to Thick
Culet: Very Small

FINISH:
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None

c 1.26.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Sorry, are you viewing these diamonds IRL? And may I ask, has your wife tried on many cuts and styles of ER's? I make this point b/c many women "believe" they want this or that until they ACTUALLY try rings and different cuts on. Finger size, taste, proportion all come into play. Notwithstanding different shapes amongst fancy cuts!

BTW: cut cornered modified (square) brilliant = radiant cut.:

https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/radiant-cut-diamond

Emerald Cut:

https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/emerald-cut-diamond

cheers--Sharon

cbass33

Rough_Rock
canuk-gal|1327679600|3113082 said:
HI:

Sorry, are you viewing these diamonds IRL? And may I ask, has your wife tried on many cuts and styles of ER's? I make this point b/c many women "believe" they want this or that until they ACTUALLY try rings and different cuts on. Finger size, taste, proportion all come into play. Notwithstanding different shapes amongst fancy cuts!

cheers--Sharon

The two pictures I posted recently are stones that I have only "seen" over the internet. In real life she has tried the cushion, radiant and emerald cuts in about 10 different settings. She narrowed it down to the radiant and emerald in the Simon G setting. I then went off looking for radiant cuts and became a little too focused on them. She was "kind" enough to remind me that she really liked the emerald cut.

-Chris

Translated - "She liked radiants and emeralds. I went off half-cocked looking for the perfect radiant and forgot about the emerald cut until we sat down and talked about it - oops!"

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cbass33|1327680097|3113087 said:
canuk-gal|1327679600|3113082 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon

The two pictures I posted recently are stones that I have only "seen" over the internet. In real life she has tried the cushion, radiant and emerald cuts in about 10 different settings. She narrowed it down to the radiant and emerald in the Simon G setting. I then went off looking for radiant cuts and became a little too focused on them. She was "kind" enough to remind me that she really liked the emerald cut.

-Chris

Translated - "She liked radiants and emeralds. I went off half-cocked looking for the perfect radiant and forgot about the emerald cut until we sat down and talked about it - oops!"

Gotcha.

Are you saying she prefers the shape more "square"? Does she like "asscher" cut?

https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/asscher-cut-diamond

cheers--Sharon

cbass33

Rough_Rock
canuk-gal|1327680264|3113089 said:
Gotcha.

Are you saying she prefers the shape more "square"? Does she like "asscher" cut?

cheers--Sharon

Not quite that square....how about "squarish"? :tongue:

So, what are your thoughts on the specific emerald posted above? I started a specific topic on that stone but nobody has responded. I guess there is no love for emeralds...

-Chris

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results