shape
carat
color
clarity

2 ct. NON-Ering/RHR

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Add colored gemstones? You have quite a collection already--any three stone rings? (emeralds, tsav''s, ruby, colored sapphire sides??).

cheers--Sharon

Lill_The_Thrill

Shiny_Rock
I like this one by Leon Mege...
30.gif

leon93893.jpg

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
Do you think that three stone (all diamond) rings look too engagement-y? I personally see a three stone ring and think anniversary ring.

DiamondGirly

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/2/2008 6:33:40 PM
Author: MaryAlaina
I think most PSers who have been here a while do not like the term 'cocktail ring'. First of all, it is dated. Secondly, it gives the image of an ugly ring with a clump of small diamonds without any real pleasing design to the ring. (At least this is the image I get in MY mind when someone uses that term.)

Also, halo rings have been all the rage for several years now, and to suggest that a halo ring looks like a 'cocktail ring' is ridiculous in my opinion, unless someone is totally unversed on current jewelry fashion and terms used. I realized some people are new here, and possibly that is their situation.

You should tell that to David Yurman and Neiman Marcus...they use the term -- RHR vs cocktail ring...who cares what you call it

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod50780013&parentId=cat16650746&ecid=NMCIGoogleBaseFeed&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=Y0458

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod28960020&parentId=cat16650746&masterId=cat16650743&index=62&cmCat=cat000000cat2830732cat2830733cat000160cat540734cat16650743cat16650746

Ditto for T and Co

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?sku=GRP01905&mcat=148207&cid=480683&search_params=s+5-p+1-c+480683-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

Secondly, here's a post about how double halo's look like cocktail rings -- many common posters stated this in the thread. So is it so far fetched to think a single halo on a large stone would look like a cocktail ring as well?

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/setting-double-halo-spaced-round-in-squarish-shape.78021/

And look at how many people refer to this round with a halo as a "cocktail ring"

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/is-this-ring-too-big-for-my-hand.84743/

Does it still seem so ridiculous??? I took 2-3 minutes looking online to help you out and I get rewarded by basically being called incompetent.

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I saw this Richard Landi in a local store and went ape over it. To some, it may look engagement-y, but I would wear it as a RHR for sure, if only I could afford a 2 ct. RB!

Edit--I just want to say that this ring looks very Art Deco-ish and cool IRL. I tried it on my right hand, and am still considering buying it and wearing it with the 8mm CZ that it is already set with. OOOHHHH, can I actually admit that I would do that?!?

RichardLandi_1932halo.JPG

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it was mine, I''d find 2 round blue sapphire sides and have Leon make the 3-stone ring. Classic and beautiful.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Context and definition, are everything.

At the risk of sounding pedantic, I''m not the gatekeeper here, but let''s get "over" this naming/blaming and move on to the 2 ct. diamond reset. Oh am I allowed to call it that?????
2.gif
3.gif
11.gif
9.gif

cheers--Sharon

IronMikey

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/2/2008 6:33:40 PM
Author: MaryAlaina
I think most PSers who have been here a while do not like the term ''cocktail ring''. First of all, it is dated. Secondly, it gives the image of an ugly ring with a clump of small diamonds without any real pleasing design to the ring. (At least this is the image I get in MY mind when someone uses that term.)

Also, halo rings have been all the rage for several years now, and to suggest that a halo ring looks like a ''cocktail ring'' is ridiculous in my opinion, unless someone is totally unversed on current jewelry fashion and terms used. I realized some people are new here, and possibly that is their situation.

Anyway, back to my main point...I may have a 2 ct. round stone that I want to set in a ring that I can wear without people thinking it is an engagement ring. (I have enough e-ring style rings!) I''m trying to find something unusual. I already have halo and split shank rings. I know we have a creative bunch on here, so I thought I''d see what you could come up with!

WOW -- I was going to help you out but I''m new on here and I go with the Yurman/Tiff''s definition of cocktail ring. Your post seems really impolite to someone who was trying to help out.

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, so my RHR looks a lot like an engagement ring (see avatar). Please someone-call it cocktailish!
31.gif
hehe

I''m sorry, couldn''t resist.
3.gif

FWIW, I do like the halo idea.
9.gif

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/2/2008 7:20:57 PM
Author: Siamese Kitty
Ok, so my RHR looks a lot like an engagement ring (see avatar). Please someone-call it cocktailish!
31.gif
hehe

3.gif

9.gif
OK, it''s very Cosmopolitan!!!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2008 6:38:05 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

Add colored gemstones? You have quite a collection already--any three stone rings? (emeralds, tsav''s, ruby, colored sapphire sides??).

cheers--Sharon

I agree.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2008 6:54:44 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
If it was mine, I''d find 2 round blue sapphire sides and have Leon make the 3-stone ring. Classic and beautiful.
Me too, love that look.
30.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I agree with diamondseeker2006 - a three stone right with colored stones on each side of the central diamond. Perhaps bezel set?

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would also go with colored sidestones...but then there are those that have colored sidestones in their e-ring
5.gif

Honestly, I think that no matter what it will look to some like an e-ring, so you just need to find a killer design that YOU will be happy with
36.gif

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/2/2008 7:56:45 PM
Author: NeverEndingUpgrade

Date: 6/2/2008 7:20:57 PM
Author: Siamese Kitty
31.gif
hehe

3.gif

9.gif
OK, it''s very Cosmopolitan!!!!
hahaha!

MA- I was just remembering you already have a halo style ring. What about using colored sidestones as some of the others have suggested and maybe do a pair of "woobug"-like wraps with sapphires in maybe blue and pink? That way you could have some versatility. In the meantime, if that ribbonesque ring needs a babysitter while you''re rocking this one, I am available!
12.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw, thanks for mentioning my new ring CrookedRock. You know I LOVE your gorgeous engagement ring! Thanks Asscherhalo_lover!

Mary Alaina, I agree with Sharon and the others that adding some kind of colored gemstones would be just the thing.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
MA,

I have a loose diamond that I am considering having reset into something. I have two .85 padparadscha''s that I was thinking of setting on either side of it. This will be a right hand ring. I see so many women wearing rings like this now a days.

The other day, I saw a beautiful diamond and on either side was a gorgeous Tahitian pearl (oops hope it is oK to say that). I really don''t think it will matter, if it is on your right hand. But, this is just my opinion.

And again in my opinion, the term cocktail ring is old fashioned. My 82 year old mother uses that term. The new term is "right hand ring". I see that term used in all of the magazines.

Linda

Lexie

Shiny_Rock
Van Craeynest has some rings in their Pierced Series that would look amazing as a RHR with your 2 carat RB center. The following two are some of my favorites: click here and click here

Since people are recommending adding gemstones in order to make your ring less engagement-like, perhaps you could replace the small diamonds in the setting with either sapphires or rubies
10.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2008 6:19:28 PM
Author: DiamondGirly

Date: 6/2/2008 6:14:45 PM
Author: iluvcarats

Date: 6/2/2008 4:45:19 PM

Author:MaryAlaina

If you had a 2 ct. diamond that you wanted to use in a RHR, how would you set it so it wouldn''t look too e-ring-ish? I''d love to see pix of examples, either with other stones or not.

I think that whenever you have a diamond in the center of a ring, because of the symbolism of a diamond, it is going to look like an engagement ring.

I think it is rude to refer to someone''s e-ring as a cocktail ring, and when it was said about my ring, I was called ''sensative'', yet the flip side of the coin is that these comments are INsensative!

There have been a lot of comments from people not knowing that this is considered an insult.

Well now you know.

It is.

Crooked Rock''s ring looks like what it is - a beautiful engagement ring.

Calling it a cocktail ring tries to rob it of it''s special sentiment and meaning.

Touchy, touchy...

My god. I apologized already.

Also, taken in a vacuum, a large center stone surrounded by a halo looks like a cocktail ring to me. I wasn''t trying to rob anyone''s ring of its meaning. Who cares what I think anyway -- I''m a total stranger!!!!
Yes, you are a stranger. I can see that you are new here and you should know that it is not common behavior to insult anyone''s taste in jewelry. In a passive aggressive way or not. I don''t think anyone is being touchy. Your comments are rude.

IronMikey

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/2/2008 10:35:28 PM
Author: Linda W

And again in my opinion, the term cocktail ring is old fashioned. My 82 year old mother uses that term. The new term is ''right hand ring''. I see that term used in all of the magazines.

Linda

Hmmm, even though everyone seems to hate on her, diamondgirl made a pretty solid point about this earlier in the thread. Many people on PS and many quite reputable jewelery makers use the term.

and your mom
19.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
MaryAlaina - I love the idea of three stone with colored sides as well. What is your birthstone? Or your DH''s?

IronMikey

Shiny_Rock
Sorry to thread jack -- it''s very temporary...

WHAT DOES "DH" MEAN?!!!!

I can''t figure it out and it''s making me nuts. Haha, thanks in advance!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2008 11:18:43 PM
Author: IronMikey
Sorry to thread jack -- it''s very temporary...

WHAT DOES ''DH'' MEAN?!!!!

I can''t figure it out and it''s making me nuts. Haha, thanks in advance!
Heehee...It could mean whatever you want it to. To me it means Dear Husband or Darling Husband. DS = Dear son. DD = Dear Daughter.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH = Dear Husband (usually...
11.gif
)

OK, let's settle this "cocktail ring" thing once and for all. Any ring that I wear while I enjoy a little drinky-poo is a cocktail ring. Single stone, multi stone, cluster of small stones -- whatever. (And for those of you who don't know me or The Brick, I own the mac daddy of all cocktail ring style settings--with big side stone wings flying off the sides no less!--and I couldn't care less what people choose to call it.) Now let's move on.

Back to MaryAlaina's quest; I think a three stone with colored side stones would be beautiful. If I remember correctly though MA, don't you have a three stone ring already? If so, maybe differentiate it further by a different basket type. I.e., if you had a regular simple straight across basket (sorry--I don't know what it is called) maybe do a trellis or W setting this time, or something else that would make it different.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2008 11:27:32 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
OK, let''s settle this ''cocktail ring'' thing once and for all. Any ring that I wear while I enjoy a little drinky-poo is a cocktail ring. Single stone, multi stone, cluster of small stones -- whatever. (And for those of you who don''t know me or The Brick, I own the mac daddy of all cocktail ring style settings--with big side stone wings flying off the sides no less!--and I couldn''t care less what people choose to call it.) Now let''s move on.

Lol DJ. You are too funny. And I wholeheartedly agree.

MA: What about something like this gorgeous LM creation? I think it would look gorgeous with rounds as a RHR.

r853_019Ww4444.jpg

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2008 11:27:32 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
DH = Dear Husband (usually...
11.gif
)

OK, let''s settle this ''cocktail ring'' thing once and for all. Any ring that I wear while I enjoy a little drinky-poo is a cocktail ring. Single stone, multi stone, cluster of small stones -- whatever. (And for those of you who don''t know me or The Brick, I own the mac daddy of all cocktail ring style settings--with big side stone wings flying off the sides no less!--and I couldn''t care less what people choose to call it.) Now let''s move on.

Back to MaryAlaina''s quest; I think a three stone with colored side stones would be beautiful. If I remember correctly though MA, don''t you have a three stone ring already? If so, maybe differentiate it further by a different basket type. I.e., if you had a regular simple straight across basket (sorry--I don''t know what it is called) maybe do a trellis or W setting this time, or something else that would make it different.
Well in that case I wear cocktail rings A LOT!
28.gif
9.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
DJ, you crack me up
9.gif

WHOA neatfreak!!! I LOVE that ring!!!!! Thank you for posting that picture. That is a gorgeous Leon.

Linda

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2008 11:38:00 PM
Author: Linda W
DJ, you crack me up
9.gif

WHOA neatfreak!!! I LOVE that ring!!!!! Thank you for posting that picture. That is a gorgeous Leon.

Linda

Isn''t it just gorgeous? I think it''s the perfect RHR for a diamond center stone...

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
neatfreak,

ME TOOOOOOOO!!! Something for me to think about with the loose diamond I have and the two Pads I have.

MA, how do you like this ring?????

Linda

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results