shape
carat
color
clarity

1.8 Harry Winston or Larger (2.5+) "non-designer" ring???

FuturePsyD

Shiny_Rock
I know the majority of PSers lean towards "non-designer" rings or more moderately priced designer rings, such as Tacori, etc.

That being said, like many women, I have always been a big fan of Harry Winston engagement rings. Design, quality, craftsmanship, legacy, reputation, service, etc. My bf and I have priced their rings and we both love the popular cushion cut micropave halo. The largest we are able to afford would be a 1.8, even that is kinda pushing it. However, we both tend to like larger stones. Where we live, the majority of ladies wear 2 carat engagement rings and up. As most of you know, for the price of a 1.8 HW, we could easily purchase a much larger diamond.

Even though we are both fans of HW, we are somewhat on the fence about which direction to go. If we had the money, we would certainly purchase a larger HW. Since we have a budget, I don't know whether to let go of my dream of owning a HW and opt for a larger stone, or just go forward with a 1.8 HW. I know 1.8 is a nice size, however when I tried it on, I felt it did not give me the finger coverage I was looking for. I wear a size 6. So it's not so much the carat size that is bothering me, but how that size looks on my finger.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! :))

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Re: 1.8 Harry Winston or Larger (2.5+) "non-designer" ring??

I'd get a larger non HW ring. I'd go with Leon Mege for the setting, I think his Adriana is the one that is very similar to the HW ring you like? You will see the stone and ring on a daily basis, not the box it came in or the store it originated from, so if you're feeling like 1.8 cts is smallish even just trying it on, it's definitely going to "shrink" when you wear it for a time IMO.

Leon's work is absolutely top of the line, as impeccable as HW's, with the most swoon-worthy claw prongs. He does have some mixed customer service reviews on occasion (seems people either click with him and love him or... not) then Maytal Hannah is another one to try. Check out Charmypoo's recent thread in SMTB- she got a HW style halo ring from Maytal and it's amazing.

Both of those designers do handcrafted rings rather than CAD/cast, so they are a lot more like the HW type of amazing micropave with very little metal between the melee stones.

I'd go with an August Vintage cushion if it were me, which has amazing fire and an antique look to it with chunky, large faceting, but if you're looking for a more modern style, perhaps a square hearts & arrows cushion would be a nice choice. Leon Mege also sources some lovely antique style cushions too, and his prices have been reported to be quite reasonable on them. And that would be convenient, if you went with a setting from him.

ETA: You could go with Harry Winston for the wedding ring. That's a pretty important piece of jewelry too. Or an anniversary gift later.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

It's a good question. Personally, I'd go with the HW in this case. Just from your post it sounds like if you look down and see a HW ring, you'd light up whereas with a 2ct non-designer you'd feel like you settled. I don't think that when spending the type of money you are, you should settle for something less. The desire for the HW sounds like it is something internal to you. The desire for 2 plus carats sounds like you trying to either keep up with the jones or be practical. Something outside of you. I think that satisfying your internal need will make you happy.

Think of it this way. Which will give you the bigger thrill if you see someone you want to brag to, just a little bit? Or imagine telling your grand daughter about the ring, telling her she might inherit it? Which fact is going to make you smile when you tell her it's special?

A) It's HW.
B) It's 2.3 carats

From your post it sounds like it's the HW.

That's why it doesn't matter what *I* would do. Because what would make me happy doesn't matter in THE LEAST.

Get what gives you the most joy. Either way you are compromising... but which compromise is going to make you happier in the long run?

diva rose

Shiny_Rock

I am a huge Harry Winston fan and would love to own something from HW.
So I feel your pain. :)

In the end you need to figure out what is more important to you:
- owning a HW piece
OR
- getting a big diamond

Have you actually looked at non-designer pieces and checked for the quality/workmanship ?
Can you actually see the difference between the work?

I know for a fact - I can't really tell the difference from certain designer pieces to non-designer one that are well made.
I have a very good eye.

In terms of HW designs, a lot of his designs you can find with other designers - so they're not unique.
I usually find the unique pieces from HW are usually out of an average consumer's price range.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

To me, it sounds like a lose / lose situation for you. You want a HW and you want 2.5+ ct -> need to make the budget work or you need to chose one over the other. In my opinion, replicas often end badly because no one can do exactly what the original designer made. The thing is - when I approach a custom job, I never ever want to copy the original and always want my own changes to make it "better". If I take the HW micro pave as an example, I really dislike the side profile view and I think Leon's interpretation of it is flowy and much more elegant. So for me ... I will take Leon over the HW setting any day.

Don't get me wrong .. I love designer brands too and have nothing against them ... but my advice is never buy just for the name. In the end, no one really knows where your ring is from and in my experience .. very few ask. That is of course you aren't the type that goes "looky here .. my hunny got me a Harry Winston" (believe it or now some of my friends are like that).

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

Harry Winston.

I'm probably going to be in the minority but that's OK.

You can go to their site and look at their video about how they make their rings by hand. They do beautiful work. They have a unique and beautiful design aesthetic too.

I like the HW micro pave setting more than any similar setting. If you haven't seen Angela in Japan's thread on hers, you can see some great close up pictures.

A 1.8 Harry Winston ring would be a spectacularly beautiful one I would have no trouble choosing it over a 2.5+ "non-designer" ring.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Isnt the HW Cushion in itself unique? I believe HW have their own uniquely cut Cushion.

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock

While I'm a fan of the elite designers I don't think I'd want one. There are so many beautiful rings out there from regular jewelers no one will really know yours is the real deal unless you tell them. And who runs around saying " this is a genuine Harry Winston". I think the magic would even wear off for you at some point if any piece of you is a size girl. That being said if you're the type who's hearts desire is the HW get the HW. A deal is only a deal if you get exactly what you want.

FuturePsyD

Shiny_Rock

Thank you all for your opinions. You have all given me a lot to think about.

I have to admit that, for me, I personally do see a difference between a designer ring and a replica design. At first glance, I'm sure the replica looks pretty darn close, but since this is a piece of jewelry that I will be wearing day in and day out, I think I would get annoyed by the minor differences the replica would have from the "original" piece. If I ended up going with the 2.5, I would just have a completely different type of ring made, such as a cushion with trillions (or something like that).

Also, from my experience, I have noticed that designer jewelry items tend to stand the test of time better and show less wear and tear. IMHO
I see the HW as heirloom quality and thats what keeps drawing me back in.

Even though my FF and I do like larger stones, I have to be honest and admit that one of the nagging thoughts in the back of my head are my friends who tell me to go for a larger stone and that I will regret spending so much on something so "small". So a part of it would be "keeping up with the joneses" if I went with the larger stone :rolleyes:

And you guys are totally right, very few people will know that its a HW. I'm definitely not the type to offer that information without being directly asked. And I seldom see ladies being asked who designed their ring. For me, just some close friends and some family members who are interested in jewelry will know what "brand" my ring is. If I get the HW, it will be for me and my appreciation of the ring.

But OH those big stones just are magical too!! :))

septsparkle

Brilliant_Rock

Does Harry Winston have an upgrade policy? This may be your golden ticket...

FuturePsyD

Shiny_Rock

YES!!! They actually do have an upgrade policy!! I forget the exact details, but If I go with HW I would definitely take advantage of that policy. (although many years from now)

septsparkle

Brilliant_Rock

I would find out the exact details on that before making a decision.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I would totally go with a larger stone in a Leon setting...hands down...his work is lovely and no one (other than you) would know that you have a HW setting...

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

DiaGem said:
Isnt the HW Cushion in itself unique? I believe HW have their own uniquely cut Cushion.

From my experience, this may not be true. On the many occasions I went to HW, they had a wide range of cushions available - from lovely antique chunky cushions, modern cuts .. and even some really yucky ones that looked like crushed ice. I know that there is a CZ that is marketed as the "Cartier Cushion" which makes me think that you are right that they have their own uniquely cut cushion but I have seen a wide range in the stores.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

FuturePsyD - By reading your posts, I really think you wouldn't be happy with anything other than the original HW. I say just go for it and think about an upgrade later. I think some people will agrue that a Leon Mege can stand the test of time but I absolutely agree that unless you find a custom jeweler at his level (maybe Neil Lane, Martin Katz and other celebrity jewelers) .. most of the other settings won't be an hierloom piece. After all, when you talk to Leon .. he says he does hierloom pieces and he looks down on Tiffany (sort of like how we look down on Zales here).

On a side note, there are rumours that Leon used to make rings for Harry Winston before he went on his own. No proof though .. maybe someone will ask him one day but I am not sure if he will tell us.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

For viewing pleausre, this is one of my all time favorite halo (HW like) rings. It is owned by Thouarella.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege-antique-cushion.140739/?hilit=leon halo

Links to Harry Winston original micro pave rings ..
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/im-engaged-my-harry-winston.148170/?hilit=harry winston
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/harry-winston-ring-purchased.81527/?hilit=harry winston
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...pave-ering-part-ii.74219/?hilit=harry winston <= One of the most famous HW rings on PS
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...cushion-pave-ering.42461/?hilit=harry winston

Just for kicks .. this is what I ended up making. There are a few things I would change but my friends gave me a slap and said stop it and that I am too obsessive. Plus, I have a Leon Mege coming so hopefully all my issues will be solved.
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...making-maytal-hannah-halo-erd-cushion.147719/

RedRobbin

Shiny_Rock

I read your post and the responses of everyone which have been really great. I think that everyone is making excellent points, to the point where you could even be more confused because everyone's insight and reasoning is valid though they are divided as to what you should do. I wanted to give you my own personal experience for what it's worth. When I first got married, I really really wanted a designer ring like Cartier or Tiffany. But I also wanted at that time a round brilliant which you can get anywhere. So I went with a round brilliant that was not Cartier or Tiffany but was much larger than what we could afford if we bought from them and still very good quality. I was very happy with that decision because I wanted a certain size and I got it. And it looked the same quality as one of these design houses so I was satisfied. This month (15 years or so later) we bought my dream ring, a Tiffany Lucida. I am in love with this ring but if I told you what we paid for it you would spit your morning coffee out all over your computer monitor. :lol: Still it was worth it to me because we had saved money for kids education, retirement, etc. and were in a place where I could get the size I wanted and because no one but Tiffany can make this cut, at least for several more years until their patents run out. You are in a different situation because not only can designers like Leon Mege or Maytal Hannah make a cushion halo ring, but they arguably make one that is just as beautiful than the Winston version. That being the case, I would go with the non-Winston version of the ring and get the carat size you really want. But whatever you decide to do, the ring will be beautiful and I think you should wear it in good health and with great happiness.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

charmy thanks for posting that! I had never really looked at the profile view of the HW and I have to agree with you, I much prefer yours/the Leon!

to the OP: I would definitely look at the pics Charmy posted, if only to make you more confident in your original choice! There are designers who do beautiful custom work but if you will only be happy with the HW, then get it!

RedRobbin

Shiny_Rock

CharmyPoo said:
FuturePsyD - By reading your posts, I really think you wouldn't be happy with anything other than the original HW. I say just go for it and think about an upgrade later. I think some people will agrue that a Leon Mege can stand the test of time but I absolutely agree that unless you find a custom jeweler at his level (maybe Neil Lane, Martin Katz and other celebrity jewelers) .. most of the other settings won't be an hierloom piece. After all, when you talk to Leon .. he says he does hierloom pieces and he looks down on Tiffany (sort of like how we look down on Zales here).

On a side note, there are rumours that Leon used to make rings for Harry Winston before he went on his own. No proof though .. maybe someone will ask him one day but I am not sure if he will tell us.

Charmy, wow thanks for posting those links. Angela's ring was gorgeous but I have to say again that I think yours is more beautiful. It really speaks to the quality of Maytal Hannah's work. I also agree with Slg that the basket for the Leon and Maytal rings is more artful than the HW version, but the HW version is incredible so there really isn't a wrong move here, whatever OP decides to do.

To OP: As to the heirloom issue, as you already know, it takes more than Leon Mege's opinion to make his rings recognized as heirlooms in the nature of Harry Winston. Maybe in 100 years but then again, maybe not. And if he looks down on Tiffany & Co. (the way we think of Zales), I think that's ridiculous. It just comes off as sour grapes, nothing more. When I wrote my post there were many additional messages that posted before I hit submit because I was running around trying to get kids ready for school. I didn't see Charmy's links which I think show a real difference in the basket of the ring. That might be a factor that sways you if you like the other baskets more to the point of opting for that basket design plus the larger stone. On the other hand, if there is an upgrade policy at HW then you might want to go in that direction so that you can get the heirloom quality ring you have always wanted. No doubt you are utterly confused, but in the end, if you opted for the designer ring for all the factors you listed in your first post, that is a totally valid decision. Get what speaks to you. A 1.8 carat stone inside of a halo will not look small AT ALL. And to your point, it will be a Harry Winston and yes of course that is awesome. :love:

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock

FuturePsyD said:
I know the majority of PSers lean towards "non-designer" rings or more moderately priced designer rings, such as Tacori, etc.

I have to admit that, for me, I personally do see a difference between a designer ring and a replica design. At first glance, I'm sure the replica looks pretty darn close, but since this is a piece of jewelry that I will be wearing day in and day out, I think I would get annoyed by the minor differences the replica would have from the "original" piece. If I ended up going with the 2.5, I would just have a completely different type of ring made, such as a cushion with trillions (or something like that).

FuturePsyD,

If you are seriously considering either as an option it is all in the fine details:

1) HW cushions vary in both faceup size for their weight and facet design.
2) The HW Micropave can be customized by them (ie change the size of the halo melee) to make the ring look a little bigger. (but it may change the look)
3) You pay a premium for the HW setting not for the diamond, they don't offer their own patented diamond cut and are still using traditional methods for diamond selection. Beauty is judged by everyone differently but working with someone who specializes in fancy diamonds cut for light performance gives you a much greater number of options. There are several branded cushion cuts discussed often on these forums that outperform most diamonds at Harry Winston in terms of light peformance (e.g. size of the sparkles, brightness, fire(colored light).

4) The HW micropave design is a mass produced handmade piece, they all look strikingly similar. This is a good thing compared to what your average CAD/CAM jeweler would attempt in a replica of the design.

But this is in sharp contrast to a high end handmade design where an artist (like Leon Mege) has designed the setting with the proportions of the stone in mind and has added his own influence to the piece. For example the Leon Mege pave style is different and to some more refined than the HW pave.

You will have to do considerable work on both the diamond selection and the setting design in order to have a piece that
you feel rivals or exceeds your favourite HW design. For some that love looking at the elements of jewelery this is a fun and worthwhile experience, for others they just want the ring exactly as seen and don't want to personalize it. If you do go with HW don't forget to bargain on the price, they have been known to offer discounts especially in this economy.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Personally, the side view of the basket of Leon's looks much nicer IMO. But for me, since I don't always look at my diamond from top view, the side view is really important. Maybe it is or isn't for you. Although the HW micropave cushion is to die for, if I didn't like how it looked from the side, it'd bug me everyday. That would be the deciding factor on whether I'd stick with HW or go with someone else.

You sound like you really like the HW. If you can upgrade it later, then go for it. I too, really wanted a name brand ring (Cartier 1895 pave solitaire) because I really liked the design. Hated their prices, though. However, this was pre PS, so I didn't know of designers (such as LM) who could have made a similar setting really well. In the end, I got a bigger diamond then I could have from Cartier, but hated the setting and changed it out. So, I see where your coming from about "replicas."

In the end, LM and MH's version are very similar, but there are some minor differences in the shape of the basket, halo, and what looks like more bling. HW looks a little more chunky, but maybe it doesn't seem that way IRL. You'll have to decide whether those differences bother you, or if the changes are more to your liking.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

I don't think this choice has anything to do "impressing" others by having a HW e-ring. It's about the feeling she experiences when she looks at her hand and sees this ring. I believe that this ring is unique. There are very good replicas, but they are not the same. As much as I like the size of a larger stone, a 1.8 ct with a halo will provide excellent finger coverage. It it were me, I would choose the HW. It's an iconic piece.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

The words "custom" or "bespoke" can carry as much cache as "Harry Winston". Is there any value to you in having a ring designed specifically for you & the special engagement stone of your choosing? As opposed to, say, a ring design that was popularized on "The Bachelor"?

I'll never get that out of my head re: the Harry Winston cushion halo. It always says to me "copying a reality show" rather than "chic". JMHO.

FuturePsyD

Shiny_Rock

Thanks again for all your responses.

Charmy: Your ring is SO SO gorgeous!! Congratulations! :)) And thank you for posting the other links. Angelajapan and ginzagirls HWs are so fun to look at. I can most certainly see the difference in the side view. For me, if I didn't go with HW, I will have a different type of ring made altogether because I tend to really love the HW micropave and would prefer not to have it replicated. Even though Leon and Maytals are breathtaking as well. Although, I think I need to talk further with HW about the various types of cushions. I wasn't aware that they had many different types of cushion cuts? I was always shown the modified. And I was told I can have a brilliant cut stone set but that was much less popular and so they never had one in stock.

Redrobbin: Congratulations on your Tiffany Lucida!!! That is a beautiful, standout ring. I'm sure it was worth the wait!! :appl:
Tiffanys also has a special place in my heart, I adore so many pieces of jewelry from them! I could never look down on Tiffanys!

ChunkyCushions Lover: you're certainly right about it taking hard work to have an equally gorgeous ring replicated. my bf and i are definitely not the type that would want to take a year or so researching stones and having the setting customized to perfection and all the back n forth that goes along with having a ring customized from scratch. I have seen many beautiful rings come from such hard work, I'm just not sure if I'm cut out for that kind of research and work. The micropave is such a delicate piece of work where much can go wrong and look "off" If would go with a much less intricate design if I didn't get a HW. You're also right about the discount, i have read on posts that a few people have been successful in getting a great discount and avoiding tax by having it shipped out. We would definitely take advantage of that option!! :bigsmile:

Risingsun: you're so right. My desire for a HW really is a personal preference and the great appreciation I have for such an iconic piece. Sure it would feel nice to be able to say I own a HW (if anyone where to ever bother to ask) but that's not what its about for me. I truly do see it as a piece of art with a legacy attached to it. A 1.8, just for the center, is definitely nothing to sneeze at and it is a wonderful size, I think at first glance I'm so used to seeing big honkers on those around me (the ideal size around these parts is 3+) that I got a little psychological shrinkage going on towards that size. But in the end, its certainly a nice size ring, especially come from HW.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

FuturePsyD said:
Charmy: Your ring is SO SO gorgeous!! Congratulations! :)) And thank you for posting the other links. Angelajapan and ginzagirls HWs are so fun to look at. I can most certainly see the difference in the side view. For me, if I didn't go with HW, I will have a different type of ring made altogether because I tend to really love the HW micropave and would prefer not to have it replicated. Even though Leon and Maytals are breathtaking as well. Although, I think I need to talk further with HW about the various types of cushions. I wasn't aware that they had many different types of cushion cuts? I was always shown the modified. And I was told I can have a brilliant cut stone set but that was much less popular and so they never had one in stock.

Oooh .. cushion cuts is a whole other story. There are plenty of modified brilliant cushions but if they were put side to side ... it is likely that a Cushion Brilliant will win. There are also a ton of different Cushion Billiants too - 4 main, 8 thin main, chunky, etc. I would never dream of buying a modified brilliant cushion because I think they look yucky. Despite some people saying that there are nice modified cushions .. I have yet to see one and I have seen a lot of cushions in real life an photos.

kikidoe

Rough_Rock

To me, getting a Harry Winston is like a dream coming true. It's my dream ring ever since I first saw it.

We did do some research on PS and did go to the diamond district before we got our Harry Winston ring. Although people all say Leon, Erica, etc. can make gorgeous rings that look exactly like or even nicer than HW's, we never had a chance to see those rings in person and were worried that the rings would come out disappointing us as both my fiance and myself are really picky and meticulous. For him, getting a HW is for a peace of mind. We know it will never go wrong.

Another thing that's also important is that we can go to HW store for cleaning and setting checking any time. I've seen some of my friends' rings got from online wendors looking dirty and losing the blings b/c the rings weren't cleaned properly. We don't want our ring to end up like that. Having a local store with impeccable customer services is something we value a lot.

I know I am the minority here.
Maybe I'm just defensing for my inner princess here.
Maybe I will also feel jealous when I see someone post a ring with similar carat weight but larger faceup and better light performance.
Maybe 10 years from now when I'm ready for an upgrade, I would choose Leon or Erica.
But I know if we didn't get the Harry Winston, I would always feel something was missing. And that something would be really difficult for me to get over with.

FuturePsyD

Shiny_Rock

Decodelighted: lol in re to The Bachelor. While, I never watched that show, I heard that HW was the designer of choice for that show, although I wasn't sure which of his designs? Either way, my love of HW precedes The Bachelor and I personally never associate the 2. (thank goodness)!!

Personally, I definitely would never let a reality show sway my loyalty towards a particular brand since my reasons behind loving the piece far outweigh the mental links certain people would make between a show and a particular ring brand or design. Plus, the positives behind such an Iconic brand far outweigh any possible "negative" associations between HW and its link to The Bachelor. Not to mention, HW's legacy will live on while The Bachelor and his proposal with the HW micropave will eventually fade in the memories of most. (God willing).

Brands are prominently displayed on many shows, reality and otherwise. Too many to even name! Are we to shun them all because it reminds us of shows that we disliked or deemed "tacky" or any other negative connotations? For me, the answer is No! My feelings for the things I truly admire run WAY deeper than that!! In the end, if we truly love something, we are left with what we love and not the memory or association of the item to a "reality show".

I also disagree that choosing an iconic item that someone personally likes is "copying" because a certain segment of the population tend to narrow-mindedly associate the item with a single show. I think Harry Winston is bigger than "The Bachelor" and most individuals who go with a HW don't really care about a reality show and have probably never even bothered to watch it. (such as myself) It's also not about trying to be "chic" if one were to choose a HW, it's about owning an heirloom quality piece that will withstand the test of time and outlive a ridiculous reality show! ;))

kikidoe

Rough_Rock

I just noticed we have the same profile picture! :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'm glad you have a sense of humor about "The Bachelor" connection! (The show has moved onto Neil Lane, so you're in the clear now!!) I knew when I selected an asscher stone five years ago that some folks would lump me in with the "Sex In The City"-fans newly smitten with the cut after it was featured on the show. It wasn't *my* inspiration AT ALL ... but for awhile it kinda went with the territory.

It seems from your last post that any other ring/brand would be missing that special something -- so you have your answer right there. Look forward to seeing it! They are beautiful rings ...

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

I was going to say that bachelor is Neil Lane now. I think a positive outcome of this thread is that you now made your decision. I can't wait to see the ring. Make sure you come back to share. It's all about showing off here.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results