shape
carat
color
clarity

Waterless hand sanitizers and white gold rings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Girlrocks

Brilliant_Rock
I know this may seem like a silly question, but will those antibacterial waterless hand sanitizers damage white gold rings? I know they won''t hurt the diamonds, although they cloud them up, but what about the gold, especially the plating? Seems like everywhere you go now adays they have those hand cleaners.
37.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
soooperbacteria.

Rowan

Shiny_Rock
I don't know, I can't use those sanitizers, they make my hands break out in hives.
32.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t have a professional or scientific answer. I do use those hand sanitizers all the time, and my gold and platinum rings have been fine. But long term, I don''t know!

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
I agree with JulieN.. who cares what they are doign to your rings when they are screwing up the entire ecosystem (not sure if ecosystem is the right word.. ) But that stuff is not allowed anywhere in my house.. nor will I use it.. ever.. anywhere..

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
My ped told me not to use "antibacterial" soaps, et al. because they destroy your body''s natural immune/bacteria fighting capabilities. He said "good old fashioned soap & water will do".

I don''t buy any anti-bac home cleaning supplies either..but most of my home is done in natural stone or marble so I have to use gentle stuff.

I do keep a little bottle of Purell Gel in a diaper bag for poopy diaper changes--there have been a few times I''ve had to change a nasty diaper with no running water at hand. But that''s it.

My ring is fine too..

Jeannine

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Purell is alcohol-based. It''s not creating super bacteria nor is it bad for the environment. It''s the same as putting rubbing alcohol on your hands, only it has moisturizers on it so your hands don''t get dried out. My guess is that it leaves a residue, because you can feel it start to bead up when you use it 20 times within a few hours like I often do (I work in a hospital).

Antibacterial lotions or gels or soaps or whatever are another kind of thing, though. I avoid buying those, but I have to search to find liquid handsoaps without them these days. Stupid.

Girlrocks

Brilliant_Rock
I agree, I don''t buy the antibacterial soaps either...just plain ol'' bar soap and water. Just curious though because I do carry the Purel in my purse, diaper bag and car for the kids and it''s even in the doctors offices and hospitals...last year, I was hospitalized and right outside the door of my room and inside the door were 2 dispensers on the wall. You had to actually hunt for soap! But of course, if it''s going to damage my jewelry, than I have to swear it off for good (haha, just kidding!).
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results