shape
carat
color
clarity

Leon Mege and Antique Cushion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tiger007g

Shiny_Rock
Awww... shucks, thanks for the compliments!
13.gif

Scintillating: the story is that I LOVE antique cushions and just had to have one! I wish there were something more exciting and romantic, but it was just me - I found something to obsess about and ran with it! The search started almost a year ago... (at last, I finally found one... My husband has been very patient.

I was originally looking for something in the 2-3 carat range, and this was actually the only 3+ carat stone that I even looked at! I guess I got lucky.
9.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/12/2006 10:40:49 AM
Author: widget

Tiger, yours is now my very favorite diamond ring on PS! I just love it!!!!

Do I ever disagree with Widget?
31.gif
Not on this one!

36.gif
gorgeous thing!

W2W

Rough_Rock
Tiger,

It''s so beautiful. I LOVE it. You must be so happy.

We''ve also met with Leon and he said that your stone reminded him of the one we just got. Of course your stone is way bigger.
6.gif
He seems really great to work with. I would love to hear your tips on working with him through this process. I am still a little unsure of the exact style that I want so he suggested that I look at everything I can so that I can be precise about what I want the ring to look like. So my questions for you...

How did you come to this design?
Was there a wax done? If so, did the ring live up to the replica?
Were there any limitations in design due to the shape of your stone, etc? I ask because there were some styles in his book that he did not recommend for me.
How did you find the final price in general and relative to the estimate?

As you see, I have at least 1,000,000 questions. I swear, when I was sitting with him I felt myself getting a stomach ache because I can be a little manic about making decisions when there are many great options. I''d love your input.

And again, it is drop dead. Congratulations.

tiger007g

Shiny_Rock
WARNING: LONG POST!! Probably more details about the LM process than most people want to read, but there’s no private messaging anymore! Hopefully, this will be helpful for some…

Miumi: Thanks! I do
30.gif
LOVE
30.gif
it! When Leon sent me the photos, the ring looked just as I had hoped.

I’m so envious that you got to meet Leon and to see his work in person. What does he look like? I did this project entirely by phone and email… and it went without a glitch!

To answer your questions, I did have a very precise idea. I had been thinking about the ring for about a year before I approached him. I spent hours on his website, on P’scope, sent messages (much like your post) to other P’scopers who posted their LM rings, and did a lot of internet and window shopping for antique rings. I didn’t want an antique reproduction or replica, but I wanted to incorporate some design elements and the delicateness of those types of settings. When I saw the OMC earrings on his site, I knew it was what I wanted - I hoped it would translate ok as a ring.

On the flip side, I started the project knowing that I was willing to defer to his expertise on all decisions and I let him know that. After all, he’s the master jeweler, and I’m a consumer with ideas and no real understanding of the practical limitations. Since I had a concrete concept for the ring, we didn’t have the discussion about style limitations based on my stone. I think his pieces have great proportions and balance and I honestly love just about everything on his site, and would follow any recommendation he makes.

I think P’scopers have had the most success working with Leon by identifying certain elements in different LM projects (or other pieces) that they have seen and then combining them. It certainly helps to start the project knowing what styles work on your hand (I can’t wear thick bands – they make my fingers look stumpy; a halo would have been too much on my stone) and what you like. It must be hard for Leon to try to deliver a custom job merely hoping that it is something that you will like.

Thankfully, when I proposed my idea, Leon thought about it for a minute and said that it should work well – YAY! The basket proportions would be a little different because my stone is more rectangular than the stones used in the earrings and that the sides of the basket would be angled-in more. We discussed the shank of the ring – I wanted “skinny as possible” with some pave. I wanted the whole ring to sit as low to the finger as possible.

Leon chose the width and he advised me on my different pave options. He highly recommended using single cut stones for the pave, especially with an old cut center stone, and explained the subtle difference in look and price. I asked his opinion on what he felt would look best at every step and for most decisions, it was purely a matter of taste and ultimately up to me – the shape of the shank, style of pave, no milgraining…. etc.

Leon doesn’t do wax models. I didn’t see a sketch, although I don’t know if he does them for more detailed projects. After our conversation, he drew up a work order listing all of the relevant details we discussed, time frame, and cost estimate. I sent it back with my stone and the deposit. We emailed when things were in transit and to confirm receipt… and after that, I left him alone to work. I had every confidence that it would be beautifully executed and had left the proportions up to him. He’s very different from Whiteflash or Quest – there are no in-progress photos, just the ones of the finished ring. He’s not the kind of jeweler who wants input every step of the way during the manufacturing stages.

I emailed him after 4 weeks just to inquire on the status of things (my time estimate was 4-6 weeks). He told me they were almost finished with the metal work and then the pave would take another week or so. The next email I received was the one with the photos telling me it was finished! The ring was done in about 5 ½ weeks.

As far as pricing goes, he came in under the estimate because there ended up being fewer stones in the pave than he anticipated. Leon’s estimate budgeted for 0.5 carats of melee and they only used about 0.25 carats. I guess it can go either way here if you are having a lot of pave. My estimate was for $2,200… surprisingly reasonable! It ended up being just under $2,000 (plus shipping costs).

If I had the money, I would have Leon make me a new piece every year!
2.gif

ello

Brilliant_Rock
Oh goody - I''m so glad to see the final product. It''s amazing - I love Leon''s work...it''s always flawless in my eyes! Thank you for sharing and please do not hesitate to post more pictures.

tiger007g

Shiny_Rock
Here''s my precious pooch all decked out in diamonds with nowhere to go!

pup.JPG

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2006 2:48:41 PM
Author: tiger007g
Here''s my precious pooch all decked out in diamonds with nowhere to go!
I AM SO IN LOVE WITH YOU DOG!!!
30.gif
How old is he now?

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Tiger, that ring is absolutely amazing!!! I love it!
30.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
great summery for working with Leon Tiger. I think how you went into it with the willingness to concede the decisions to him will always make a good match and beautiful ring. For those who like more detail involvement, seeing waxes, progress etc. working with Leon may not be a good match at all and knowing that on the front end can save all parties much frustration and heartache.

Love the new picture with your puppy. Very cute..

icekid

Ideal_Rock
tiger- I can''t imagine how I missed the new shots of that absolutely stunning ring
30.gif
Definitely one of my all time favs- so classic, but unique too!

And thanks for the detailed Leon review. Always good for future reference
9.gif

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
This has to be the best home an OMC could ever ask for, it''s stunning!

Congrats on doing such a great job of communicating w/Leon, it really sounds like you were a dream to work with as well.

and I have to add, what a crazy-reasonable price for such an amazing setting!!!!!!! You did real well
3.gif
!

laila

Shiny_Rock
Tiger - I can''t believe I missed it also! I had seen the teaser pic Leon had sent and was waiting for your to get it! It is STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL!
30.gif
30.gif

Just absolute perfection! Congratulations!
36.gif

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely stunning... you somehow managed to make a 3ct stone look simple and classic and unique but not overwhelming... not to mention it looks unbelievable on your hand!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

W2W

Rough_Rock
Tiger,

Thank you so much for your post. I have read it over and over again. It is very helpful.

Meeting Leon was great but it''s a little dangerous to see all of those rings. His workspace is really well done and interesting. The front door is this huge carved wood door and he has painted and designed the hallway to set a mood once you get off of the elevator. Now mind you, he is in an office building with run of the mill offices on every other floor. It''s clear that he pays attention to detail. How does he look? What stood out most to me is that he seems rather serious. I would guess he''s in his 40s with an understated style. He''s patient but very attuned to your responses and reactions. He takes this stuff seriously and based on our meeting, I by no means feel like the expert. In fact, I could proably pick 4 settings, leave my rock and tell him to have at it. I left feeling so excited about having a setting done...if only I knew what I wanted enough to describe it to him.

So you gave him creative control
6.gif
HMMM... I think I will take your advice. When I was there I felt like I was thinking too much and not really sure what I was talking about. I know that I want a thin band, just under 2mm to 2mm max and the "mushroom" set stones stones he described. I also want the stone set east west. That''s all I know
32.gif

Your are so right about combining other designs. I''ve seen so many I like that I may have to start a file. I kind of see a w-prong on pave.
33.gif
Who knows. It''s in my head. if...only...i ....could....get...it.......on.......paper.

Well Tiger, I''m so happy that you got just what you wanted after waiting so long. It is so beautiful, classic and shiny. Go Leon! I hope my story ends up like yours. I found my perfect antique cushion but it needs a throne. Or maybe I should just carry it loose in a pocket for a few months?!?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey Tiger...when you get a change you should add pictures of your ring to the Leon thread here

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Your ring is absolutely stunning. I love it. WOW!!! I cannot say enough about it.

shay

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know how I missed the updated hand shots but the ring is just GORGEOUS and that stone....my heart pitter pats at the thought of it! Beautiful.
36.gif

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Holy cow, your ring looks amazing!
30.gif
I love your antique cushion center stone & Leon''s setting is another masterpiece.

Could someome pass me a tissue (or a roll of paper towels)? I can''t stop drooling over your ring....
18.gif
36.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
BUMP

I can''t believe I''ve never seen this ring before!!! I LOVE it!!!
30.gif
<~ first time heart eyes! lol

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results