shape
carat
color
clarity

Movado Engagement Ring - Set my mind at ease?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lemonade

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend and I have looked at engagement rings at a few major stores -- Tiffany, Cartier, etc. It''s been hard for me to find rings I really like because many of them are too large, heavy, or ostentatious for my hand, plus I am in a profession where my hands are "on display" and I don''t want something too schmancy.

We went to Movado today to size the beautiful watch he got me for Christmas, and I found myself really attracted to one of their 3-stone rings, the kind where the central diamond is sort of suspended ("can breathe" as someone on the forum said). It was the first time I had put on a ring and really felt, "I can see myself in this!" I have seen sparklier diamonds (but the one we looked at was a G; most likely I would get a D, E or F) but it was the combination of ring and setting that I really liked. Plus the woman who helped us was a real peach, no hard sell at all, just a lot of extremely friendly, patient, personal service, none of which we have ever received elsewhere.

I found this forum by accident and after reading around a bit, I''m feeling a little cheesy for having fallen for a "branded" ring. I definitely don''t want to buy over the Internet because I absolutely must see and feel the ring on my finger, but from what I read here I wonder if it''s a bad idea to go with Movado. I am planning to look at a few boutique stores, but since I live in L.A. I''m not sure they won''t be way out of my league, price-wise.

I almost think I''d rather be UNDERinformed in this arena since I''ll start to see faults in what I thought was a really lovely ring that looked great on my hand, but I also don''t want to make a mistake. What do you think?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like you found the perfect thing... so... why not go for it!

Did 'G' look bad?

Would you want to look for a version of the ring?

Is it too expensive (or smaller than you would have hoped for the money) ?

If neither applies, this is it.

Btw. the description reminds me of tension settings - is it one? I don't know what these rings look like.

lemonade

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/30/2005 9:29:03 PM
Author: valeria101

It sounds like you found the perfect thing... so... why not go for it!

Solely and only because I tend to overthink things and second guess myself. What you say is very true, thank you.

Btw. the description reminds me of tension settings - is it one? I don't know what these rings look like.

Here is a close-up picture from the side. From what I understand this is not actually a tension setting (because of the bar underneath the stone).

dia_photo.jpg

paintergirl

Rough_Rock
I just got back from NYC and went to all the ''eye candy'' stores (Harry Winston, Tiffany, Cartier, etc.) as well as the diamond district (I''m not happy till I''m BLINDED from all the diamonds) and I, too, fell for a ring in the Movado Boutique. They called it a ''quarter-bezel'' and it was very slender, showing the diamond from the top and bottom of the ring, like you posted. I can''t vouch for their cut, but the stone I was looking at, and was mezmerized by was an I SI2 - eye clean and sparkled like crazy. I have an aversion to branded stones, but I swear, this princess could have had me easily! I say if you love it - go for it! I''ve never seen a setting like this online. You can always have fun getting a future anniversary present (pendant, earrings, rhr) from one of the great online vendors. Good luck!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/30/2005 10:14:25 PM
Author: lemonade

Here is a close-up picture from the side. From what I understand this is not actually a tension setting (because of the bar underneath the stone).
True... as much as I know.

Finally found the rings (page 6 on the catalog HERE, attached below).

The good news - the ring seems dainty for this type of design, which is nice
1.gif
The other news... You may find similar rings out there if you wanted, and a custom version would not be a problem.

Anyway, with simple lines like these, every turn counts - I would think. Which makes each ring is different. So It is easy to imagine that one seems special to you, as much as I have my own choices. Besides, isn't there a branded Movado diamond cut? If so, they have made it even harder to find anything quite alike. There are other branded rounds with more facets than the usual round brilliant (Solasfera and Eighternity got some feedback on this forum, but there are others too). But... what's the use to 'hunt' if the one you have found is very much what you were looking for?

MovadoRings.JPG

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
Lemonade,

I would think it "cheesier" for you to go with a ring that you didn''t love because it wasn''t "branded". If the Movado ring feels wonderful to you, you like the diamond and the design, then that is what you should aim for. It would be a real pity if you felt pressured against something you like, purely for brand vs. non brand. Remember, you have to wear the ring every day : ) Another option is you buy your own diamond and have something custom made that looks like it. What did it look like from the top?? It looks very beautiful from the side!

I wish you well,

Bridget

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
You don't need to feel "cheesy" for falling for a branded ring if you love it. I have a Hearts on Fire branded three stone ring that my husband picked out at our local jeweler's. He too liked the personal service. I have not seen anything quite like my ring on the internet and I have been very pleased with the quality. That Movado ring looks just beautiful!

lemonade

Rough_Rock
What a nice bunch of responses. I appreciate the feedback. Like I said, I tend to overthink things, especially when faced with a topic I''m newly learning about.

The ring in question is in the picture that Ana posted, the three-stone ring at the very top. There is a slightly larger and a slightly smaller version. The ring we looked at was 1.02ct total and I think the main stone was .88ct. I don''t think the picture quite does it justice, though.

Since I''ve been given the task to look into other jewelers for the next two weeks, I will see about maybe getting something similar made. I think my boyfriend is very attracted to the perks of buying from a major name, though, like the credit option and the lifetime guarantee, which is something to consider if we move out of the area.

Again, thank you for your supportive comments.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Just my opinion... to me Movado is known for their watches. Tiffany, Cartier, Harry Winston are known for their engagement rings. If I was going to pay the premium for a name brand, I''d want to go with somewhere that is known for what I was buying. Just my opinion and I''m always honest!
On the other hand, I do really like the setting you posted and if you feel like it is "the one" maybe you should search no further.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Doesn''t movado have their own cut with a lot more facets than the usual 57/58?

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Lemonade,

Let me just say that you can never ''over think things'' when it comes to a purchase like this. You will be wearing it for ever and it will cost a lot of money.

I really love the design!

Blod

35.gif

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
I love that ring! I actually considered the Movado solitair when we were looking at settings. The three stone reminds me of this one by Mark Morrell.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
If you love it, then I would go with it! I wouldn''t try to have something made custom only for it to "somewhat resemble" the ring you fell in love with. Now, if you would be happy with something similar to the Movado ring, then definitely look into other jewelers. However, if you love the ring exactly as it is, then I would pay the premium and buy it.

And don''t worry, we don''t look down at people for buying branded diamonds. It''s your money (or your fiances lol) and as long as you guys make an informed decision, you have every right to spend your money for a name brand!

singbarefoot

Rough_Rock
I have no idea if you will see this, but I am wondering if you ended up buying the ring? And if so, were you happy with it? I saw one today that I fell in love with, but I know nothing of the Movado reputation (except for the watches)...

thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results