shape
carat
color
clarity

i need YOUR help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
I''m just looking for opinions, and any thougths AND ADVICE.

k, well I''m 21, and I have been battling the "what to do forever and ever"

anyways, something I''ve always been good at was shopping (for bargains, on ANYTHING) and I am veeeeeeery creative.
I love writing as well, but that''s sort of irrelevant.
OKAY.

so anyways in short, I am wondering if event planning would be something I''d be able to do as a career.
I know I''d be good at it. (as an advisor I''d be awesome etc)
BUT here''s the thing,
where I live, I don''t know if it would pick up. there is ZERO companies out there doing what I want to do.

Only "close thing" is stores that sell decoration that offer event planning (but it isnt so much on the same level that I want)...

ahhh anyways, let me know if you guys have any advice. opinions. concerns. ideas. okay? :)

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Well I have friend that plans weddings. He''s not a wedding planner per say, just had an extended circle of friends and started taking charge of weddings for them, in any case, he''s referred to by word of mouth, and that''s what he does for a living.

So I know your not talking weddings specifically, but I spoke to one a while back and she was a member of association of bridal consultants. So I guess I would start off with what kind of associations exist and what kind of training is required to join them. Then I''d go from there. Often hotels have event planners, so that''s also a possibility of where to start.

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
hmmm thank you ally!
I''m looking into it! I would in fact like to start my own business, and this is definitely something i''d be great at doing,
keeping my eyes out i guess?
haha.
I will look for any sort of associations in this area,
I''ve never heard of much from the hotels, but we do have a lot of nice hotels in the area.. so I''ll make a few calls!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
well you mentioned that there are zero companies doing what you want to do out there, that could be a good thing because it means you have the opportunity to set yourself apart and stand out by not having to worry about competing with 20 other event planners in a smallish town or similar.

HOWEVER, is there opportunity for event planning in your area? are there corporations or businesses or similar who would have the need for an event planner? here where i am, there is tons of opportunity, but there are also alot of event planners themselves. what sorts of events do you want to plan? have you ever done event planning before?

if not, you may want to get a job in doing event planning or tradeshows for a corporation or business to see if you even like it. it''s very detailed work and alot of times event planning is on the bottom of the marketing totem pole and sometimes people treat you badly because you are ''just the event planner'' or similar. so you may not like that kind of feeling from people even though in reality it takes a very detailed, analytical and organized individual to be a good event planner. many other people feel like anyone can do it. also if something goes wrong, you will always get blamed.
2.gif

anyway, i have often thought it''d be fun to do event or wedding planning later in life maybe...there is certainly opportunity out there if someone can find it (are you good at sales, aka can you go out and market yourself and drum up business rather than waiting for it to come to you?)...as i did it when i was young and just starting out in marketing but it does get somewhat tiring always dealing with everyone else''s demands and whims. good luck figuring it out but hopefully there is some food for thought here in my post. i think it takes a certain personality and individual to excel at something like this, some people do fabulously and others just don''t.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
actually one other thing that comes to mind is maybe doing something sales in promotional marketing...aka branded items. you need to be really creative and very effective at shopping because basically you are doing promotional item personal shopping for a company or a themed project or similar. and it has the 'planning' detailed and organizational thing in there too. it may be a way to see if you even like something that is so 'service' oriented. i'm sure your local areas has one or two promotional marketing people, see if anyone needs help so you can figure out if you even like the biz.

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for your post Mara :)
always love reading your insightful advice..this time its related to me! hehe.
anyways I think I would be good at it, I''ve never "officially" done any sort of planning.. but I''m the one who guides everyone and organizes everything when anything happens.
I have a friend getting married and I offered a million and one idea.. , I even offered to take care of all the planning (but her mother is a little bit controlling) so for this it will be me relaying ideas to her.. lol.

none the less, I just enjoy it..
It might not have to be this persay, just something similar?
I''ve always wanted to do something along those lines, or work for some sort of magazine or something. I really do have lots of opinions etc! hah.

Owning my own business just feels right yanno?
I wanted to make my own greeting cards.. I have around 15 made but I have had much time to work at it..
They are MUCH different then what is out there. (it started as a drawing I made for my bf because I missed him, my mom saw it and a bunch of her co-workers and they all "freaked" out).. anyways I have a bunch made... I haven''t gotten that out of my head either.

okay enough rambling.
Thanks mara again! :)

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
HOLY MOLY!
Mara I sort of took your advice!
I researched marketing companies in my area.. and found one that did trade shows & events and sent them an email with questions and interest. I asked if they were searching for any poisitions and that I would love to get my foot in the door.

NOW. they contacted me again, saying they had a position as a receptionist open, and if I wanted an interview(its out of town) I could get one!!!!!
I would have to relocate, but I''m asking tons of questions before I even say yes (to make sure I know what I''m getting intO)
crazy crazy!

:)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good for you that you are a go getter!
36.gif

As for wedding/event planning. My cousin was involved in that department at the Ritz. Talk about difficult clientele...
20.gif

You really have to be passionate to do that kind of job. After awhile you will have coordinated a lot of weddings, one blurring into the next (and sometimes you really don''t give a sh*t on what the bride to be is babbling about) but you have to remember each wedding is for an individual and this is HER day and be just as excited along with her.

Also, event planning means you work long hours and weekends...kind of hard to have a life.

I know people who do the job, and love it. But just like "traveling for work", it''s often glamorized and can get old very quickly. As Mara said, it''s often about being more detail oriented and organized than it is about being creative and given the freedom to think outside the box (or the BOSS). We had the coolest tradeshow/event guy at my company who was honestly the best. Everyone loved him. But when budgets were cut, he was the first to go. He joked that he had to get out of that line of work...if only to get more job security.

Also, you have to have a thick skin. Your friend is your friend, and will probably gently reject any of those million and one ideas she doesn''t like. Many clients are not so kind!!

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
haha I suppose you are right TravelinGal..
I have been thinking things up and down! I did accept the interview for this coming Friday though!
Might as well get my feet wet a little.
I''ve always wanted to be in some related field of marketing, so we''ll see how it goes.
I nail interviews usually, its a matter of getting a call for one! But I did.. so it should go well!
AND I am billingual, and the city where I''m going to, its more "rare" so that ups my chances of getting the job!
yay me?

haha

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh good luck on your interview this Friday. Go in with an open mind and write down your questions before hand. This could be your step to getting you foot in the door. Let us know how it goes!!! That''s very exciting!!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
keep us posted sparkly...i think it''s great to at least go to the interview and get a feel for things and see what you think!! good luck!

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
Just an update.
WELL On Friday I had two interviews out of town, one of which was for a marketing firm.
The interview went well, but the girl was VERY hard to read (I tend to do REALLY well in interviews tho)
Anyways as soon as I was done my interview, I was driving and got a call from home saying I got the job I applied to a while ago that pays WELL and is just a job I would love.
SO I called and canceled the second interview (I really didnt want that job..) and was unsure of what to do with the first job interview I had.

Anyways, she called me yesterday to offer me a second interview (out of town job), and I took the day to think it over.
The out of town job pays less, and I''d have to move alone, AND I''d be paying more for rent/living expenses.
So ultimately I made my choice.

I have a new job :)

Thanks to all for the support!
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, that''s awesome!!!! When do you start??
36.gif

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
They have to do a criminal record check, and there should be an orientation next week, but we only really start on July 17th I guess!

But thats okay, I think my bf will be taking his vacation before then, so we can spend it together!

And this weekend, I booked a jaccuzi-king size suite with breakfast and made reservations for us at a very very romantic restaurant (on the balcony where there are candles with a drapery) soooo romantic.
And to top it off, I''ll bring him for a massage the next day (everything is closed saturday because I live in Canada - canada day!)

I''M SO FRIGGEN EXCITED :) :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results