shape
carat
color
clarity

New Project for Mom!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Hi guys,

Well this will be a long-range project because I don''t know when this might happen. But, as this is pricescope, of course I want to start early!

My mom has a very lovely traditional wedding set. YG w-band (2mm or less, I''d guess) and a roughly .80ct RB in 6-prong plat head/T&C style on YG band. She used to wear a "guard ring" identical to her wedding band on the other side, but due to arthritis doesn''t any more (plus she forgot to get it resized when she had the e-ring and w-ring sixed up.) I''m guessing a ring size 5 3/4, maybe a 6.

My dad is a good gift giver (she gets her Joy perfume over XMas and b-day) but he hasn''t given her a piece of jewelry since their fifteenth anniversary.
23.gif
And they''ve been married 38 years now. Blueroses says it''s TIME!!! I felt around the subject w/ my mom (I wasn''t sure how she''d fee) and she''d be more or less is PSYCHED about possibly getting some fresh bling! I mentioned to my dad what a nice idea this might be in the future (b-day? Christmas? or wait for 2 years until the big 40th? Nah....not that last one, this is PRICESCOPE, for heaven''s sake!!) And he agreed that hey, that might be a good idea!
36.gif
36.gif

(I''d been pondering this, but I have to give props to Ally for refreshing my memory with the great Mommy-ring gift she and her siblings are doing.)
SO. I''m thinking an eternity band. Nothing too unusual, nothing too expensive. (Some of the low-ish tcw thinner Signed Pieces bands might be just the ticket.)

SO, I have put a couple little collages together--just for style, really.

Tell me what you think! Do you have a preference for prong-set, channel-set, bead/pave? Why? DO TELL--comfort, durability, "catching-ness," etc. My mom is fairly hard on her jewelry (she teaches high school and gardens!!) so it would need to be something that wouldn''t be losing melee all the time.

I would looooove PSers input and expertise. Or if there''s something GREAT out there that you know of, please post pictures or information! Has to be yellow gold, and I don''t think she''d be into colored stones or diamonds.

THANKS!!!!!

momsharedprong.JPG

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Just to add--these are from a variety of vendors, and are just a representation (no way will we be buying from T&Co.....too much $$!!!)

mompave.JPG

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
and some channel set. (I really dig the baguettes, but I''m a step-cut girl....not sure what she''d think.)

momchannelset.JPG

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, i like both the shared prong and the pave (like the Ritani). I do think the shared prong sets are more blingy and sparkle more where the pave is just a shimmer soooooo, since she hasn't received a sparkly in a while, I'd go with the shared prong probably from facets, but you could check out pricing from JA and WF..

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
My vote is for either the facets thin shared prong or the whiteflash one. The three row comfort fit pave one is nice as well... actually it might be my favorite. The facets millgrained is nice... but I don''t think I''d like the milgrain with her setting.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Mrs.S and Gypsy.....the input definitely helps b/c I know bupkis about eternity bands!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with mrssalvo, shared prong will knock her socks off. What a fun project!!!
36.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that I''d go with one of the Facets rings, probably shared prong. I just don''t think any of the others can beat the quality for the price. I just got a platinum milgrain engraved eternity ring from SP/Facets, and it is gorgeous!!! I need to figure out my e-ring setting to see if I can keep it, though!!! I do think you need a dainty band to go with a .80 ct. diamond, so the milgrain one might be too heavy for your mom''s set.

Of course, would she possibly like a stand-alone 5 stone band with more significant diamonds in wg or platinum to wear as an alternative to her wedding set???? That would even be a more fun project!

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
I vote for the shared prong eternity rings - I have both a shared prong and bead set ring, and both are equally comfortable.

It''s so nice that everyone''s getting mommy gifts
1.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
THANKS Diamondseeker, Lisa and JadeLeaves!!

I just pulled my mom aside and showed her my little collages just to get an idea. She liked the look of both shared prong and milgrain/pave....BUT...after a minute said, "I have little fingers--that''s too many diamonds all the way around"

SO I showed her some 7-stone and other "part-way" diamond w-bands and she dug those.

The other thing is that I think she could potentially be open to a re-set of the same stone (.8 looks pretty big on her). SO this might be more thinking/research! But one of the SP bands would do dandy if we went that way.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think she could get used to a shared prong eternity band?? Anyway I have two from SP and adore them. The stones are really well cut and sparkle like crazy. I was worried about the comfort factor, went to NYC to see them in person and am hooked. Tiff''s are very nice but the one''s from SP are just as good and come without the blue box price tag.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Umm... if I may suggest? Do you think she might like any of the Bev K halos I posted... imagine what one of those would do with a .80!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Oh Gypsy....I like the way you think, girl
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Honestly, I have to feel that out. THat''s so MY style and it might be too much for her. But maybe not
11.gif
11.gif
Hmm. I need to get Mumseida on a shopping trip to try some things on!!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shared-prongs ALWAYS catch my eye first above all other styles....then again, I own a channel-set eternity band and it''s the most comfortable thing in the world, and it''s also a very classic style. But from everything I''ve heard, SPs are also comfy and don''t catch on things. So I think that covers all your bases.
1.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2006 11:09:10 PM
Author: blueroses
Oh Gypsy....I like the way you think, girl
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Honestly, I have to feel that out. THat''s so MY style and it might be too much for her. But maybe not
11.gif
11.gif
Hmm. I need to get Mumseida on a shopping trip to try some things on!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Yeah... definitely get her out and looking at rings. I''m curious to see what she likes... and what we can find to accomodate her.

I bet WF could do some fabulous things for that diamond too.
11.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much everyone for the input--this is going to be long-range for sure and not a quick turn-around PS "payoff!!" But I will keep you posted as I learn more on my "fact finding" missions. She may be attached to the e-ring from my dad (though it isn''t the original--it''s a 5th anniv. upgrade) but I''m not certain...I need to get some rings on that finger and watch the reactions!
9.gif
9.gif

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Hi Blueroses!

My Leon band is similarish to the ritani in the sense that it has the metal border and the diamonds inside. It''s a much more angular look. Or as I say, my ring is squarish. I''ve also got a prong set eternity band, and in most lights, looks more softer (less edges) I have a feeling that shared prong would look even more rounded.

Both are different looks, both pretty. I will say that to me the prong set seems much more sturdy. I don''t think it''s one of your options...can''t remember right now and I can''t see the pics, so I''ll assume that the shared prong is more solid too then paveish.

Hugs Babe!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
If she has arthritis you might not want to do an eternity band, so that one of those opening shank things could be added later if she needs it. Her ring size may change again as well...

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the look of a shared prong, it would be my top choice. BUT, and only you know this, if she's really hard on her jewelry, I'd seriously consider a channel set band. I like channel set princess bands better than rounds so you don't have any 'gaps' in the bling though.
1.gif
And you could go half eternity on the channel set band as well.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2006 2:07:31 PM
Author: MustangGal
If she has arthritis you might not want to do an eternity band, so that one of those opening shank things could be added later if she needs it. Her ring size may change again as well...
That is a GREAT point, MustangGal!!! That is another reason why diamonds on some or 3/4 of the shank is probably best for sizing reasons. (Anyone know how difficult it is to have that opening shank thing done?) She recently had her rings sized up a bit and they seem to be fine for now, but it''s something to think about for years down the road.

Thanks Ally! I would LOVE to see pics of your band--you mean the shank of your e-ring which I know and love, or another band? Shared-prong actually IS on the table--it seems to be the most obvious sparkle
9.gif
Can''t wait to see YOUR mom''s ring! AND the new necklace too!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is a fave of mine

mompave10.jpg

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Me too, FG!! If I were buying for ME, that''s probably what I''d get!
3.gif
18.gif
I want to see if we can find something similar for her to try on and see if it''s too thick/overpowering for her existing set. But something like it is a contender!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results