shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you buy this ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sydneycasandra

Shiny_Rock
Dear fellow PSers...

I''d like some opinions on buying an antique-style ring. It was originally listed at $5,850 and is now on sale for $3600. I have been eyeing this beauty for a very long time (months) but don''t know if it is really a good buy. Specs:

round "European-cut" (what does this mean? Is it an OEC, or does it just mean someone cut it in Europe?) center stone J, SI2 (some inclusions seem visible in the pictures... hmm) almost 0.7 ct
side stones roughly 0.5 ct of E-F VS1-2 diamonds (melee, probably about 1 pointers each)
platinum setting w/ milgrain and with onyx cabochons around center stone

The setting itself can be purchased for $2200 but since I priced out a similar center stone at around 1800-1900, doing it in pieces doesn''t seem like a very good deal.

Any thoughts? Is this a steal? Is it a rip-off? I truly am in love with this ring but it is still a lot of money for me so I don''t want to waste it. Thank you!

blackonyx.jpg

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Well, I think you should go with your heart. I''m not a good judge of cost, since I''m not a diamond grader, but I''d use the search up at the top of this page to check out the diamond.

Your heart has to rule, you have to LOVE your ring (coming from a 3 time setting changer here) and I think it is a gorgeous ring, just ask yourself, is it what you want to see on your hand every day?

Jeannine

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
It appears to be an OEC (old european cut) and from the picture I''m guessing Fay Cullen. I don''t know about pricing (and OEC''s are harder to find) but it sure is purty....and more of a bargain if it''s on sale now!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
pretty, looks like an old euro cut...i say if you love it and have been coveting it for months, get it! sure it''s alot of $$ but it''s $2k less than before and if it is cheaper to buy it as is and you think it''s lovely, i say go for it! life is short.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do they have a good return policy? If so ... you can decide for sure once you have it on your hot little hand! (So hard to tell from pix whether something is comfie, wearable, flattering!)

Let us know & hand pix!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks like an OEC to me for sure. If you love it, then go for it. I adore OEC''s. Is it from Fay Cullen??

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
''Tis from Fay...I wanted to see if my hunch was right, and I found it.
30.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2006 2:22:45 PM
Author:AntiguaBride

round ''European-cut'' (what does this mean? Is it an OEC, or does it just mean someone cut it in Europe?)

OEC is the way the stone was cut, number of facets, normally have small tables etc. It doesn''t mean it was cut in europe
2.gif

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
I''ve always thought Fay Cullen''s prices were pretty good..(I think Mara turned me onto them years ago when I first found PS).

I don''t think its a rip off by any means. It certainly is unique, and you won''t see your ring on everyone else''s hand...not that that matters either... LOL

Jeannine

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Will having the black onyx affect the brightness of the stone? Will the black reflect on the diamond at all?

Is this for an engagement ring or RHR?

If you love it, go for it!

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
handshot

FChandshot.jpg

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Oops, closer up:

handshotfromFAYCULLEN.jpg

sydneycasandra

Shiny_Rock
Haha, I was trying to keep it my very own dirty little secret as to what place was selling this ring... I should''ve known I couldn''t fool you PSers! (I''m so terrified someone will see it, love it, and buy it, thus depriving me of my problem but also the potential to have this GORGEOUS ring!)

The ring would be for an RHR. My e-ring (and soon to be worn w-band) are custom made quasi-art-deco styles, cut to fit each other, but with some modern touches too that wouldn''t normally be found on a true antique (milgrain semi-bezel, "surprise" diamonds on the side, etc.)

I have this sneaking suspicion that my mom and DF are possibly plotting to buy this ring for me as a surprise wedding gift. They both know I am obsessed with it and I''ve shown the picture to them NUMEROUS times. Lately I''ve been getting asked suspicious questions such as "so, um, what size ring do you wear on your right hand nowadays anyhow?" from my mom (we were talking about jewelry) and my DF was with me when I was debating as to whether I should buy the matching bracelet to the necklace/earring costume jewelry set I picked out for the wedding. I told him I wouldn''t be wearing a ring on my right hand for the wedding so perhaps the bracelet would be good, and his reply was "well, what if you did have a ring to wear? i mean, just hypothetically?"

I don''t think I''ll be purchasing this myself but I definitely didn''t want to "encourage" anyone else if it was a terrible idea, terrible price etc.

mrssalvo- thank you for clarifying the "european cut". Why can''t they just put OEC?!

I''ll keep everyone posted as to any developments that occur... please please don''t buy this ring! And if you do, send it to me!

Vix

Shiny_Rock
It''s my understanding that the European Cut was the "next generation" cut after the OEC, most frequently seen in inter-war rings.

At any rate, that''s a very pretty ring; if you''re concerned about the sale price maybe you could get some more specifics on the stone and run it by any antique cut experts who are over in Rocky Talky. Or arm twist Widget into giving a thumbs up or down....

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
I think it''s lovely. I love fay cullen''s stuff and am always looking at her site. It''s unique and different. If you love it, get it!!!! Just my 2 cents'' worth.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I sure hope they snatch it up for you!!!
36.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love pretty much everything on Fay Cullen''s site but I wasn''t completely in love until I saw the hand shot. OMG, it looks stunning on her hand!! I can see why you are obsessed and hope that you receive it for a wedding present.

diamondjunkie

Rough_Rock
I just HAVE to post here because when I saw the ring I really, really did not like it but when I saw it on your hand I thought it was REALLY, REALLY BEAUTIFUL! Seriously it surprised me how much I love it on your hand. Maybe because the first picture is blown up or something but I didn''t get the beauty of the contrast in the first pic. Either way I say grab it as fast as you can. I think it is stunning and sounds like a great price. I hope you get it for your wedding!
30.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would I buys it? ... ''guess that doesn''t matter. It is not my style but that doesn''t make it a less nice choice.

The diamond looks like OEC - it is not uncommon to call them ''European Cut'' as the description at Fay does.

Assuming the grades are OK, it may be hard to replace the stone below $1500 and the setting accounts for the balance pretty well, I guess. It is a new ring, of course. I can''t see anything terribly wrong with it - there is better, and there is allot worse among deco-ish style reproductions.

I am not sure if there is a return policy - you might want to look into that before going forth with the transaction. Do they offer any warranty at all? (i.e. what happens if in a week the pave is gone, or something).

sydneycasandra

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the great feedback! Unfortunately that is not my well-cared for hand; mine are currently dabbled with black oil paint from painting a brick fireplace, and have nails cut off to the nubs as to not gouge any patients I see. It is just the handshot from the FC site.

I will relay all the positive feedback to DF; I agree with the assessment that at first view the ring is not really anything special but that it only starts to look more stunning when it is on the hand. Since I wouldn''t be spending much time looking at it in the jewelry box, I think it should be a go! (I hope!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results