shape
carat
color
clarity

Since there are "crusiers" here - Do you take your jewlery?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Or do you take fakes?

Do you trust the safes, say, if you went on a shore excursion? Do you use other methods to "hide" your jewelery when it is in the cabin and you or not? Or do you absoutely never ever take it off?

We are scuba divers and we are going on a Cruise in April. Weve only been on one other cruise and at that time I had no pretty sparkelies to wear....

So what do you do when you are on a cruise? What would you do if you were me .. (I don't dive w/my rings)...

:)

Thanks!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I take my jewelry. It''s insured. I asked my agent if I was covered in the visiting countries. He said I could throw the ring off the balcony in St. Thomas & I''d be covered. Not planning on doing that though.
28.gif

I''ve never had anything stolen from my cabin. I keep my rings in the safe when we go snorkling. A long time ago when wearing my orginal engagement ring, fish kept bopping the diamond.
6.gif
I guess they were attracted to sparklies.
9.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Going on a cruise next month and YEP, no "bout adout it"
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
my rings are going with me! We are also divers, and snorkelers, and when we are out in the water, the rings will be in the room safe. But as soon as we are back and showered, they will go right back on. I love and enjoy my rings so much, and I just can''t imagine being without them on vacation.

And I love wearing the rings around the ship, and after dark... *yum!* I would feel naked without them. And they''re fully insured... so if something freaky DOES happen... they''re covered.

I say, take them, wear them, and ENJOY them!
36.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I totally agree. I have insurance so I don''t need to worry. I''d feel odd not wearing my nicest jewelry, especially when we''re dressing for dinner and such. We are cruising in June, and I plan to take a nice selection of things with me. I''ll use the in-room safe, and I doubt there will be any problem.

Cflutist and Websailor are cruisers. I wonder how much of her jewlery she brings along.

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
I wore my good jewelry on our cruise. We use the safe. I refuse to own anything that I'm afraid to wear. Why bother?

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
I used the in-room safe when we went to Scandanavia this past summer. We had no problems. On the ship, I always wore my rings, but in Russia, I left the e-ring in the safe...

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/30/2006 5:58:04 PM
Author: diamondlil
I totally agree. I have insurance so I don''t need to worry. I''d feel odd not wearing my nicest jewelry, especially when we''re dressing for dinner and such. We are cruising in June, and I plan to take a nice selection of things with me. I''ll use the in-room safe, and I doubt there will be any problem.

Cflutist and Websailor are cruisers. I wonder how much of her jewlery she brings along.
Not much.....the ships'' draft doesn''t increase much....
41.gif
toyboats.gif

Draft is the distance a ship sinks into the water - those markings
near the bow of the ship....

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
When on our honeymoon, we just used the in-cabin safe. Very handy. Kept our wallets, passports, jewelry, ipods, etc in there.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/30/2006 5:58:04 PM
Author: diamondlil

All of my stuff is insured too so I wear what I normally wear daily:

E-ring and eternity ring, RHR, Wink''s bracelet, and a pendant. The RHR depending on my mood
(16 to choose from, a "full rack" for Dancing Fire ... LOL, many that I have not posted on PS). On the last Coastal cruise
I wore double diamond tennis bracelets just for the fun of it. It will probably be only a single bracelet for Alaska this year
and Tahiti/Marquesas next year.

Websailor wears his diamond wedding band and Rolex watch. He even wore his watch in the ocean while riding an underwater scooter in St. Thomas last year. No problems. He wears his diamond wedding band only for special ocassions
since he''s managed to gouge up two other plain wedding bands pretty bad.

Never had a problem with the in-room safes but we have put only our wallets, passports, plane tickets, camera, and shore excursion tickets in them. The jewelry stays on me.

leeenie

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn't trust the in-room safe to hold diamond jewelry. I've heard of cases where things were stolen, and the cruise ship will assume no liability. Even though I have insurance, I would rather not lose my ring and have to file a claim.

As for snorkeling or scuba diving with them on, aren't sharks attracted to shiny things? In addition, what if the stone fell out in the water, or a big wave loosened it from your finger?

I haven't been on a cruise since getting my ring, but I've been looking for pretty fakes!

Edited to add: not all cabins have safes, so if you're relying on one, make sure to check!

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks all! I know I''d feel naked with out them and the fakes don''t help! LOL Hubby is fine with me bringing them - and of course you don''t need to tell us about insurance
2.gif
Although (2) claims in 12 months may be a bad sign.

teegreen - One of the first things they teach you in diving is NEVER to wear your rings. That goes for snorkeling as well. The cold will make your hands.. "contract" or at least prune - which is enough for a ring to slip off of your finger - not just the stone. Once it hits the sand it''s a goner. I''ve also read very sad stories of the newly engaged and thier sparklies at the bottom of the ocean.

But I digress.

We figure it''s a really short cruise (only 5 days) and the shore time is very limited (6 hours a day) that it would be fine somehow in the room.

Thanks!

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/30/2006 8:29:40 PM
Author: teagreen
As for snorkeling or scuba diving with them on, aren''t sharks attracted to shiny things? In addition, what if the stone fell out in the water, or a big wave loosened it from your finger?
This is very true! I remember in my SCUBA class we were told to leave the jewelry at home as shiny things will attract fish and predators.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Any idea approximately how large the *normal* room safe is? Not that I''m taking my entire jewelry collection, but I''m assuming, based on posts above, there will be enough space for the camera, paperwork, jewelry, MP3, etc.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, no shiny things for snorkeling? I''m going to Mexico this summer and staying in more "rustic" accomodations with no safe. We were told not to leave valuable stuff in our room while out on the beach so I was planning on wearing my ering & wedding ring (both eternity pave) while snorkeling. Is this really bad...I did snorkel on my honeymoon with them and the finger shrinkage wasn''t an issue. We didn''t go out very far to encounter predator fish...but we will in Mexico. I hate to leave them home, but I don''t want my fingers bitten off either...

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! I always keep my jewelry in the purser''s office safe. I never trusted the safes in the cabins.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2006 8:38:49 AM
Author: Madam Bijoux
Hi! I always keep my jewelry in the purser''s office safe. I never trusted the safes in the cabins.
True, you could always do that - but getting at it is a pain.

The safes are not as large as the one''s in hotels. You set it using your room key. It''s fairly secure - as anything may be. I would venture a guess they are approx. 10x6x8ish deep. They will fit your documents, jewelry, and other small things - I don''t know about your camera - depends how big. Inadvertantly, I''ve left cash & my diamond bracelet on the dresser. Nothing was taken. Between my family, we have collectively taken over 100 cruises beginning with the QE1 in the early 60''s
6.gif
. Nothing has ever been stolen.

Relax, have fun & good insurance coverage. Part of the enjoyment is wearing all your sparklies.
28.gif

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/31/2006 8:32:08 AM
Author: IslandDreams
Hmm, no shiny things for snorkeling? I''m going to Mexico this summer and staying in more ''rustic'' accomodations with no safe. We were told not to leave valuable stuff in our room while out on the beach so I was planning on wearing my ering & wedding ring (both eternity pave) while snorkeling. Is this really bad...I did snorkel on my honeymoon with them and the finger shrinkage wasn''t an issue. We didn''t go out very far to encounter predator fish...but we will in Mexico. I hate to leave them home, but I don''t want my fingers bitten off either...
Really, sparkling jewelry can be enticing to fish and sea life. When I SCUBA dive (without gloves of course), I won''t bring my sparklies....I''ve worn my old w-set snorkeling in Jamaica before and never had a problem myself. But now that I have this information (I wasn''t SCUBA certified prior to my snorkeling expeditions), I won''t be wearing my upgrades in the water!!

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
My in-cabin safe on the Star Princess looked pretty good to me. You set the passcode each time you use it. It had a keypad to punch in the code you wanted to lock it. Warning signs near it that says if you forget the code, you''re gonna have to wait until they get a locksmith to drill a hole in the safe. Seemed pretty safe to me.

It was about 12 inches wide, 10 inches tall, and maybe 8 inches deep. Not huge, but fairly roomy. The opening was too small to stick even those skinny laptops in (cuz the door and walls of the safe were so thick), but for cameras, documents, jewelry, and even small camcorders, it was fine. We actually stuck a lotta crap in our safe. We stuck my wife''s purse in there on occasion. It was one of those Coach purses that have their logo all over it. Not a big purse, but a purse nonetheless.

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
I have to admit it IS really neat on the formal nights when people are all dressed up and the really nice sparklies are worn.... There is some fantatic looking jewelry on those nights....

It''s also a bit amusing that everyone has talked about bringing their jewelry
33.gif
...after all, it''s not like anyone ever buys any jewelry/goes shopping while on a cruise vacation.
8.gif

LOL!!!!!
11.gif

crafftygrrl

Shiny_Rock
I sometime take my jewelry and sometimes don''t. It depends on where you are traveling.

When I go to South Florida, I bring BLING. When I went to Costa Rica, I didn''t. I am going on a cruise through the Galapagos this summer and I probably won''t bring anything other than a wedding band, earrings and perhaps some Yurman bangles. II generally don''t bring anything that would be difficult to replace, even with insurance money. just don''t want the hassles or worry.

I also am careful about my handbags, too. I have a 15-year-old, beat up Vuitton Speedy that has traveled the world with me.

But I was also mugged on my honeymoon is Madrid. So I have had jewelry stolen while traveling.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2006 12:21:43 AM
Author: laney
Thanks all! I know I''d feel naked with out them and the fakes don''t help! LOL Hubby is fine with me bringing them - and of course you don''t need to tell us about insurance
2.gif
!
That there...might be reason enough to wear fakes. I can lend you mine
9.gif

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/1/2006 9:31:33 AM
Author: ame

Date: 1/31/2006 12:21:43 AM
Author: laney
2.gif
!
That there...might be reason enough to wear fakes. I can lend you mine
9.gif
LMAO.... I can just picture this - a temporary trade (like house sitting almost) betweem PSers - Laney sends her real jewels for safekeeping to Ame, who gets to wear them for 10 days or so and she sends her fakes for use on Laney''s vacation....then when Laney gets back, they switch again....

It sounds almost like a really, really neat way to get to experience some different jewelry! Maybe a "temporary trading" area could be set up on PS.... we could post exchange offers/requests (i.e. Going to Timbuktu for a week, have Xct e-ring, RHR to offer in exchange for X++ct CZ and brilliant, stunning necklace...)

Imaging getting to try on for a week that X sized stone that you have only dreamed of....

It might even cut down on how much we all end up spending on diamonds.... or not!

9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

laney

Brilliant_Rock
LOL! I already have lots of people in mind to trade with! !!!!!!

LuvThatBling

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I''m a little late to this thread, but thought I''d add my $.02. I definitely bring the bling. I''m insured & I don''t worry about it. Sure, it would be a pain to file a claim, but it''s a small risk on a cruise ship IMO. I leave my jewelry in the room safe when when I''m not wearing it and I don''t usually wear my jewelry to shore. I''m sure we already scream "tourists" without blinding them with jewelry. For most of the cruiseship itineraries, I''m sure that it''d even be fine to wear onshore, but I''m not comfortable with wearing a lot of jewelry in foreign lands, so I don''t. I wear very understated and/or costume jewelry when we disembark.

I''m sure there is a way that someone who works for the cruiseline could break into the safe, but I really don''t feel that the majority of the workers would ever steal. However, if I had a piece that was very expensive or hugely sentimental & irreplaceable, I would leave it at home. I have a couple of pieces that are more expensive than the last time I cruised, and I will consider keeping them with the purser on the next trip.

However, especially on formal nights, you see some ladies with some magnificient jewelry. On our last cruise, some of the women had jewelry that I couldn''t even begin to imagine how much it cost...and I can imagine a LOT hehehe. I figure that the thieves are going to hit those ladies first so they''ll be caught by the time they reach my cabin LOL.

And yeah, definitely don''t wear diamonds snorkeling or diving. Anything that sparkles on you will encourage the fish to bite you. Fish like to bite me for some reason anyway, so I sure don''t want to give them added incentive!

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I have a big old fakey mcfakerton I take, Brian actually got a look at it and told me it was a great fake! :) LOL, it is a cushion 3ct- heck if I am going to dream, I like to dream big.

Last Cruise we went on I got so many compliments on the diamond, our friends were with us and Sheree said " Renee stop telling people it is FAKE, everyone loves it just smile and nod."

LOL< I don't think I could stand to lose my wedding band and ering- it is very senitmental to me. :) I used the safe for the other things that we brought but I am just very forgetful- I lose everything and I would rather not run the risk because I would feel horrible, even though we are insured, if I lost the ring. :)

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
sort of off topic, but when I lived in central london, I wore CZs. too many pickpockets and thieves. big diamonds are tacky there anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results