shape
carat
color
clarity

online custom settings - who do you like?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

StonesThrow

Rough_Rock
First off...I hope this is the right forum...

I''m looking at getting an ering custom/semi-custom, and I was reading this thread in the FAQ section about ering settings. I''ve also read a lot on here about people who worked with so and so and loved the design, service, etc, but not necessarily much about the quality of said pieces. Does anybody have any recommendations (for or against) concerning the quality of the setting you had made? I''ve talked to WF and DirtCheapDiamonds, and I will probably be buying a diamond from Winfield''s, I''m having it appraised this week (Wink has been OUTSTANDING!!!!). His custom work online also looks excellent, from what little I know about settings.

Wow, that was a rambling bunch of nothing. I guess, rock-bottom: Is online also the preferred way to go for settings? Who do you like, quality- and service-wise, and why?

Thanks so much for educating the new guy
4.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
StonesThrow,

You may want to ask this question on RockyTalky or Show me The Ring. I think more people see those forums and would definately be able to help you out.

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Granted, I have never had a custom setting made, but online is not always necessarily the best way to go for settings. Personally, I would be kind of afraid to have a custom setting made long distance. I would want to see a wax in person before the ring was cast. A lot of people here have done it long distance, and I did buy a setting from a B&M store that also has a web site, but it was a designer setting not a custom piece.

What I would probably do is go through the Show Me The Ring section and there are a couple of threads of custom work pictures. (Whiteflash and Quest are the first two that come to the top of my head). I would look through and PM several of the people that have had these rings for a while and ask what they think of the quality. Ask if they have had any workmanship problems, stones falling out, etc.

Is there a reason why you are going custom? Have you not been able to find something that you like?

StonesThrow

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/23/2006 6:25:49 PM
Author: pebbles
Granted, I have never had a custom setting made, but online is not always necessarily the best way to go for settings. Personally, I would be kind of afraid to have a custom setting made long distance. I would want to see a wax in person before the ring was cast. A lot of people here have done it long distance, and I did buy a setting from a B&M store that also has a web site, but it was a designer setting not a custom piece.

What I would probably do is go through the Show Me The Ring section and there are a couple of threads of custom work pictures. (Whiteflash and Quest are the first two that come to the top of my head). I would look through and PM several of the people that have had these rings for a while and ask what they think of the quality. Ask if they have had any workmanship problems, stones falling out, etc.

Is there a reason why you are going custom? Have you not been able to find something that you like?
Thanks for the pointers catmom and pebbles:)

As far as my decision to go custom/online...I''ve read some posts on here of people having problems getting their own stones set in a B&M setting...stores not wanting to set 3rd party stones, etc. And I''ve heard about catalogs that some B&Ms use for settings, but when I ask if they have any/to view them, they decline to show me their catalogs. So, I feel a little hamstrung, I can''t seem to find a whole lot of settings from shops/sites I trust anywhere near my price range.

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
There is always some risk in on-line custom designing in not getting to see the wax first hand. In my case I think I also got "caught up" in the whole on-line custom conversation with my wonderful jeweler and didn''t take the time to really think about the final product and how it reflected my over-all taste. I love my ring but think if I was going to do it again it would have to be local and would probably be a modified designer setting. (and this is in no way a reflection of my jeweler''s talent or the quality of the finished product (the quality is amazing and I''ve had jewelers & my appraiser compliment the workmanship & design.) I''m just second-guessing my decision to have a non-traditional e-ring.)

With on-line diamond purchases becoming more common many B&Ms do a lot of business with loose stones purchased elsewhere. If you''re really nervous working with a designer on-line, I would suggest finding pictures of settings that you like and sitting down with local jewelers who either do custom work or can modify existing settings. Check out the quality of several of their pieces and ask for referrals.

Good luck, please be sure to share the ring with us!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results