shape
carat
color
clarity

dark spots on my setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

As you all know, I just recently got engaged and the ring is absolutely beautiful except for one thing. I just noticed that there are darker grey spots on the outside of the setting, and lots of these darker spots on the inside...they do not wash off. The setting is white gold. I have other white gold rings that do not have these spots. Does anyone know what these are? I have a feeling we may have to treck back to the jeweler...

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
and I just noticed that it isnt set evenly, one part of the diamond is sticking outside of the prongs, and could probably get chipped, and one prong is notibly bent more than the others. I''m really annoyed right now...

tomswife2007

Rough_Rock
Hi Sweetpea...First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on your engagement! Your ring is beautiful!
emotion-19.gif

I believe that the spots are there because the setting needs to be dipped in rhodium (i think thats how it is spelled). A friend of mine had this happen to hers and once it was re-dipped in rhodium it was perfectly fine. Unfortunately, the prongs on the setting is another story. If you haven''t already I would be sending it back to be fixed before it becomes worse while wearing it. Leave it in the hands of the professionals and let them fix it for you until it is right. Hang in there...it will be fine!
emwink.gif

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Tomswife, at first that's what I thought but I thought it'd turn yellowish when it needed redipping. At least someone has had some experience with this, I was starting to lose hope.

I'm kind of discouraged now about the setting itself...the setting actually curves out more on one side than the other, and one prong bends more than the others and I'm not loving it anymore. And the diamond sticks out more on one side which really bothers me even though you have to be super up close to see it (it sticks out beyond the prongs on one side but not the other). I think I've come down from that original engagement high and realized that this setting really is not exactly what I want.

I dont know if the jeweler will allow FI to return it though, esp since he let him have it "at cost" since my parents go there alot and know him. I feel bad trying to take it back, (and I think that if I hadnt had spot and prong issues with this one maybe I'd feel differently) but I'm just not in love with it. I hate inconviencing the jeweler though, especially since we got this setting at cost I feel like I really have no right to. I've been upset all day about this, I just want it to be right.
39.gif

FI said he doesn't mind at all and that he wants me to be happy, but I am worried that the jeweler will be annoyed. I was hoping more for something like the attached picture...

resizedtop.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
tough call...on one hand you should definitely have something you love. but on the other hand, did you give direction on what you wanted originally? was it disregarded? you WERE happy with it, are you just unhappy with the things that are wrong now? could this setting be modified to give you what you wanted or is it REALLY off from what you wanted?

my e-ring had a few things i wasn''t as into at first but now after a few years it''s really MINE...for me though nothing is perfect and you could change your mind a year from now as easily?

if it''s easy to return it i would do so if you find something else that makes you happy, but if not then maybe just have the items fixed and see how you feel then?

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
I had given him pretty vague direction, my mom was kinda pushing the 4 prong more than I was, I liked the 6 prongs also...we''ll see he''s going to call the jeweler today, and if he seems resistant to returning then we will try to fix it up, I dont wnat to cause a big stink when I''m sure it''ll be great also once the fixing and dipping and everything is done. It''s so frustrating that it cant just be perfect the 1st time around. FI said that 2 of the girls had to send theirs for modifications also, so at least I dont feel like it''s only me...

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, here''s the latest. FI called the jeweler and he thinks it''s just some sort of tarnish and said that he''s got some kind of cleaner that can be used on it that will remove the spots. And he wants to check out the setting. I already feel a little better, if he can remove the spots and straighten the prong that seems a little oddly bent I''ll be happy with it (the prong makes one side of teh diamond stick out more and I''m a stickler for symmetry). Hopefully it''ll only need a little tweak. I could get a diff setting, but then it wouldnt float the way it does, which I''m sure contributes to the amount of sparkle that comes through...

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Sweetpea, I''m glad the jeweler is willing to address your concerns! I really love your setting, but of course, if you are unhappy, you can always start looking for a setting upgrade
2.gif
for the future of course! And if your concerns with this ring cannot be addressed, then change the setting now
1.gif

Please let us know what the jeweler says and does when he sees the ring...until then I will be crossing my fingers for you!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sweatpea,
I also hope the issues with your ring are addressed and fixed to your satisfaction. Good luck!!!
1.gif

changcon

Rough_Rock
Hi sweetpea,

I am also having similar issues with a weird dark grey spot on my new WG e-ring. I''ve posted a question in this forum, but so far have received one response (thanks Rod!).

If it is indeed just tarnish, I would be relieved, but my spot looks a bit deeper than that - like a tiny dent. it''s hard to explain and probably wouldn''t photograph clearly.

Is your spot completely smooth? Or is there some depth to it?

I too am afraid of annoying my jeweler, but this is an important piece of jewelry and I have no intention of upgrading or changing it so want it to be perfect (am regretting a bit my decision to not have it done in platinum)...

-connie

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
The spots you have both described are probably due to porosity in those areas, which don''t overplate easily with rhodium.
It could be that the original rhodium plating wasn''t thick enough to properly prevent reaction with the chemicals in your environment (perfumes, cleaners, medications?) where there was any tiny holes whcih come to the surface.
With a little extra effort and a good overplating with rhodium, you should be good for at least a long while.

As for the setting being crooked or uneven, it sounds repairable.
What sometimes can happen is that the burr(drill) device that is used to cut the bearing (seat) for the diamond doesn''t match the girdle thickness/pavillion angles of the diamond, and the setter doesn''t apply a little extra effort to cut the claws to accommodate the extra thickness or deeper angle. This can result in the stone moving to one side ot the other, or going off-kilter. A lot depends on the skill of the setter, and these days, there are a lot of companies who aren''t all that choosy about who sets their stones for them, as long as they don''t get broken.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
connie, it does sound like you have some porosity if it''s a ''dent'' or a hole in the metal, but take it into your jeweler and ask...nothing replaces an expert pair of eyes with the ring in hand for questions like this many times!

changcon

Rough_Rock
Hi Mara,

Is porosity common? Or is it considered a defect? I''d like to be armed with as much info as possible before going back to the jeweler...

Thanks!

-Connie

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
Porosity is pretty common. It has to be worked by smudging the surfaces with a fair amount of force by mechanical means. If it is severe enough, the mount must be scrapped. It is most problematic when ther settings themselves are porous, because the integrity of the prongs become compromised.

With the staining you have described, the fault can sometimes lie with the age and usage of the rhodium bath. If it''s contaminated or verused, there will be other dissolved metals in the solution which can be plated onto the surface and will oxidize over time. This may be the problem you are experiencing. The jeweller shoudl know what to do. A simple polish will not solve the problem. It must be re-plated with a fresh solution.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Connie, Demelza had a problem with porosity in her platinum e-ring. I think she saw one or two little "pin holes" and had her jeweler check out the setting to make sure it wasn''t more of a problem. Everything checked out okay, and her jeweler was able to reduce the visability of the pin holes I believe. Of course, if the porosity is much more prominent throughout the whole setting, especially in the prongs, then there might be some certain about the integrity and safety of your setting. Definitely have a someone take a look!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results