shape
carat
color
clarity

Interview clothes?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
So when I quit my job (YAY!) I forgot (ignored) that it meant I'd be thrown into loads of interviews again - bleh. I'm hoping there aren't loads of interviews to go on because there is definitely a favorite, and I've called in a few favors, so cross your fingers! But I sort of want something FUN to wear, professional, but a little different. Something a 23 yr old should be wearing and its an arts oriented environment. All my suits were bought for when I was an intern and had events to attend at the State Department and White House so they're very nice, but a little more conservative, so I'd love to get something new. The problem I have with some cuter ensembles is that I feel like the jackets are super trendy and will look dated pretty quickly.

I feel like if I just go out with out any ideas, I'll end up choosing a boring old plain suit, so I need some guidance.

Anyone have ideas? Or should I just stick with what I already have?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on the new opportunities!

I'd still be fairly conservative....but with a twist...

Maybe a great fitted jacket and pencil skirt...with tall heeled boots!

Or a fab pants suit with flats and a pastel or bright big collar shirt or *quality* fitted t-shirt underneath!

That's still appropriate...but young! (bitch LOL j/k)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love a conservative looking, quality suit like a Theory where it flatters your figure (so many suits are big bulky items!!) and then a bright collared shirt or something underneath that is fun but not showing anything or even a very thin sweater, and then colorful heeled shoes or similar.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could you possibly update one of your conservative suits with a really fun white/offwhite blouse? I think the contrast of a dark suit and light blouse is striking, while still professional, and you can change up the style of the blouse as well as footwear. A girl I know just interviewed for a PR position with "Vaugniston"S favorite club in downtown Chicago...we were at a party later that night and she was still in her interview clothing..she wore a pin-striped black pencil skirt and white blouse with french cuffs and embroidered black detail on the upper back, tuxedo pleating on the bodice, with big fake pearls and high black boots with stiletto heels. Very interview/trendy (for the midwest, anyway). I think you just have to find a couple of pieces to update your conservative suits and you will be all good!

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, I am excited for new opportunities!

Yeah...maybe I''ll just look for new shirts to go under my suits, I didn''t want to go wild, but like MMM said, with a twist...I had no time today so hopefully tomorrow, Sunday, I''ll have a chance to check out the stores and see if there''s anything good. Maybe only a shirt, but I sort of feel like splurging, maybe just purchasing a new suit would make me feel better. You know when you wear the same stuff it just gets boring, even if it is nice?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blue, if it were me, I''d update the shirt and shoes, and ESPECIALLY the undies and bra! LOL! Seriously, sometimes a gorgeous set of lingerie under that conservative beautiful suit works wonders, and even more so when you include some fun shoes and other accessories! I have interviewed for quite a few positions in retail management where I have wondered the same thing: is my conservative suit too boring? What do I do to make myself stand out? I never wanted to seem "showy" but on the other hand, never wanted to seem too "conservative." I also didn''t want to blow a lot of dough on an outfit that wouldn''t work with the rest of my wardrobe in the future, so I totally understand what you''re going through. I was a fashion merchandising major, so I really felt the pressure just the same as you are feeling trying to obtain a job in an arts related field. Happy shopping!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I love silk scarves with suits, tied and knotted they add a punch of color and are wonderful for mixing and matching. I also love pins and broaches. They can add elegance, color, panache or all of the above to nearly any ensemble.

debi wexler

Rough_Rock
Mara, I second your taste on ''Theory'' manufacturer. They offer a classy and sleek look without being too overpriced. Take it from me --- I have interviewed hundreds of people and the look is just what is needed to create a confident looking candidate who wants to do a great job. Of course - the clothes aren''t everything to win the employment opportunity. But they definately help.
emthup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results