shape
carat
color
clarity

Officially homeowners

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Thanks jcrow. It's kind of cute right? The only thing I don't like about it is the color. I'm not crazed about brown brick. And the white pole things. I like white pole things, but not on a brown house. Actually let's be frank, I don't like the front of the house at all, but I love the location, and the price, so it's going to have to do. Front on pic:

m1129268-pri01-05.jpg

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i think it''s totally doable! and remember- you''ll be spending most of your time inside the house- not outside.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Jcrow. That's what I told my boyfriend (multiple times) He was also not too keen on the "look" of the house, but honestly, at the price we paid, it was a steal. And I keep saying to him "It's only for 4 years" Anyways compared to the totally ghetto apartment he stayed in for 6 years, I don't know why he was getting so picky
2.gif
Oh wait I'm picky too. Maybe because when you're buying it's different then when you're renting.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2005 1:00:03 PM
Author: allycat0303
MINE!

Yes, in Canada (in Montreal actually). Why do you ask? Are you from Canada too?

DH is from Vancouver... His sister just bought a little bungalow there 3 bd 2 baths.. I was shocked at the sticker price.. Was just wondering if prices in were high across the board in Canada (No I am not asking how much you paid for your home..
28.gif
) I was just curious about real estate prices. We have some friends who live in Toronto that just bought a new home and I was shocked at the real estate prices... But then again.. I live in the south where I know the cost of living was a lot lower...

Do you have a yard with your new home?

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Hi MINE!

Yes, houses are CRAZY in Canada. But Vancouver and Toronto are INSANITY!! It's the two places that Canadians really believe are in a "Housing bubble". Montreal is believed to be inflated prices (but not necessarily a housing bubble).

Our house is a 7 minute drive from downtown (provided that there is no traffic). Everywhere off the island of Montreal is also inflated prices, but for $210 000 you can get the little bungolow (3 bdr, 2 baths, maybe 1945, but in a really, really bad nieghborhood). So I think that's probably MUCH lower then Vancouver.

Funny thing is, before we bought our house, I kept reading MSN hoping for the news "the bubble has burst" cause usually Canada follows US trend (although after a time lag) Anyways I finally saw the article, but it looks like the housing in Montreal is staying stable.

And yes, we do have a yard. Are cats are going to be happy
36.gif

Erin

Ideal_Rock
I vote yellow like the color of butter for your kitchen walls. And as for the front of your house - paint the white poles a reddish color like your bricks. The only problem with that is then you might want to reconsider the color of your shutters and then where do you stop? I can''t wait until we buy/build our house just for the decorating and picking out stuff. My favorite!!!!!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Starset: Too funny. That''s the problem. I look at the house, and I want to change everything, but I have to stay reasonable. I don''t want to throw all this money into it because we''re only staying there 4 years (and I''m always studying anyways so it''s not like I''ll notice). When we sell, hopefully we''ll find someone that likes this kind of look, and if we sell at the EXACT same price as we paid, we''ll be thrilled. But since this house was sold on the very first day (but the buyer didn''t get a mortgage) and we bought it right after, I don''t think it''s going to be a problem.

Our real estate agent said in 20 years as an agent, he''s only seen a price like this once before (and the woman sold because her husband died, and she was losing her mind in the house). So we got very lucky.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the front of the house! That yard needs some work..I would put large landscaping bushes near the white poles to help blend them in a bit...I wouldn''t necessarily paint them. You can actually use landscaping and plants to help sculpt the house look into what you want it to be.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2005 4:15:09 PM
Author: Mara
I love the front of the house! That yard needs some work..I would put large landscaping bushes near the white poles to help blend them in a bit...I wouldn''t necessarily paint them. You can actually use landscaping and plants to help sculpt the house look into what you want it to be.

that''s exactly what i was thinking. a little bit of green "life" would help out the brown. i think it would make a world of differnce!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Mara,

I think you're right. My problem with it might be:

a) The front looks very flat/sqaure
b) Those poles are noticeable a mile away.

Plants/ bushes I can do. Usually my parents (who have the most fantastic landscaping ever) give some of their plants away... so I'm going to take some next spring. The annuals at least, cause I have no patients for replanting. The backyard is totally empty too. I was thinking (cause I LOVE this look) of some potted plants in the front (near the door?) Maybe make it look a bit more welcoming.

Jcrow, yes, the yard's a bit uninspiring. At least he has that brick stuff laid out. And I don't think that umbrella tree is going to make it through the winter. Although maybe I could uproot it and move it somewhere else.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Potted items near the doors is a great idea. I also love the idea of doing some grand topiaries, a set of 2 for side by side next to doors and things like that.

A place looks so stark before you move in, but once you guys live there it will take on shades of your personality slowly.

lili

Ideal_Rock
AllyCat,

Congrats on your new home.
I can''t believe my eyes when I see the list of amenities.
That is a pretty big house for a starter home :)
Anyway, can''t wait to see the finished product.

Loved the style of the kitchen by the way.
It is so open and inviting. And the black countertop on white cabinets just gives off that prisitine quality.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE the style/look of the house. I wish Vegas had houses that looked like yours.

Everything here is stucco & the houses are so close you can stick your arm out the window & shake your neighbor''s hand.
9.gif

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Lili and VegasAngel!

VegasAngel: I just looked stucco up because I didn''t know what it was. Stucco is VERY rare here in Montreal. The houses are mostly brick or stone (but not normal stone...the kind that has the sheen like marble?). Maybe it''s just different fashion trends....Ah but you live in Vegas! My boyfriend would DIE if he could live there. Of course we would probably only be able to afford half a cardboard box, cause he likes to gamble.

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
ally i think ur house looks adorable!!! with just a little bit of work in the front yard like mara said and updating the walls in the house, im sure it will be very very cozy!!

congratulations again =)

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE the look of the house! Its clean looking and very classy! I love brick houses though! Congrats on being homeowners!

lili

Ideal_Rock
AllyCat,

I''d probably paint the pillars and stairs the same color as the trimmings on the rest of the house, or vice versa.
That way, the pillars don''t pop out too much.

Loving your house the more I see it.
The lawn does need some work, but it does look like it has lots of potential.
I wouldn''t be surprised if you end up building your family there
emsmile.gif

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on your closing! Very exciting!!! We''re in the midst of preparing to sell and downsize and the house isnt even on the market and we''re already stressed haha! so I''m sure it is fabulous to have that all behind you!

For the kitchen my initial reaction was a color in the beige family. No need to rip out the flooring, especially if it is all in good shape, just a nice color to tie everything together, the beige might lean toward the green family/undertones or something if you''re worried about the floor, but the white & black will go with anything.

When does your bf plan on moving in?

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I''m so excited for you! Congratulations.

Do take it slow. After you have been in the house a while, you will begin to know what is right.

I have been in my home 6 years and I am still working on it and I''m in the business of homebuilding/designing!!
In fact, I just put in wood floors in my master bedroom today.

Enjoy your new home.

snuga

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations! How exciting! Please keep us posted on all your new decisions!
36.gif

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I love the look of your house. i really liket he brownish brick with the contrasting white shutters and poles. A very traditional look which I like, but I guess not everyone. I really thing some landscaping would do wonders, really warm up the colors and the whole feel of the front. Some bushes along the front, a few bright flowers and maybe a flowering bush to replace the dying tree? I totally second the suggestion for two sculptured topiaries flanking the the front door or near the poles if you want to camoflauge them a litle bit. A lot of bang for the buck in adding some "design" to the whole look.

The kitchen colors look really nice. I like the taupe/sand idea cuz i love the neutrals look. but i also saw a similar kitchen done in a gorgeous warm sage/celery green with a linen finish --- LOVED IT And have wanted that ever since. that might be a nice option if you''re wanting some color in the house. The linen finish is really easy to do also.

How fun! Enjoy decorating everything! I''m really excited and am trying not to rush it all at once (can''t afford to rush it allat once!). But it''s really really hard to resist!!! Keep us updated!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Congrats ALLY!!!!!

How wonderful

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Alleycat,

That is a beautiful house! I''m sure you''ll enjoy it . . . we''re thinking of moving from San Diego to Canada (Toronto), my hubby is a 3rd generation Torontonian and still a Canadian citizen. Bush and the radical right are driving us away . . . I''ve been on the web forever looking at homes in Toronto and haven''t seen anything half as nice as your home! And I''m a realtor . . .

Kim

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results