shape
carat
color
clarity

Wearing white gold ring next to sterling silver ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

michela002

Shiny_Rock
Just a quick question. How bad is it (in the short term - i.e. a few months, year or two at the most) to wear a silver ring next to a white gold ring? Will one rub the other and damage it, and if so which will get damaged?

My e-ring is a bit too big, and difficult to resize. I''m hoping that once I''m wearing a w-band it will be fine (if not maybe I''ll get a slightly smaller sized w-band and wear it on top) but in the meantime, I thought perhaps I could get a slender silver band to wear to keep my e-ring on? It doesn''t fall off, but it spins a LOT.

How likely is it that doing this will damage my e-ring?

Thanks
1.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
FD, I doubt it would damage your ring at all. Have you considered sizing beads?

michela002

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, I was in the jewelers today discussing them. I''m just not sure they''re the right move. Figured maybe just another band might give me time to really ponder. The woman said you can get them, but they''re not as easy to put into your ring as a lot of other rings, and you might get used to them but they''re not so comfortable, etc. I''m not quite sure they are for me ...

There is an alternative way they CAN size my ring, however it''s expensive and I''d hate for the ring to then be too snug later on ... Hence I was thinking of more temporary solutions. Also it''s cold right now - and I HATE my rings feeling really tight in summer. Ah, the dilemmas! Lol

I know metals can wear each other down, I suppose I''m just hoping silver & white gold will be fine for the short-term and would only cause damage after decades of wear together ...

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I am sorry you did not find them comfy I have them in several of my rings (large knuckles) so I did not think of that...oops. They do make little inserts which clip onto the under side of rings to make them more snug but I am not sure they would work with the design of your ring.

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve done this with no problems at all. It would depend though on the rings involved and where they hit each other, etc... A regular plain silver band with a low profile shouldn''t be a problem IMO.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Sizing beads can be inserted and removed easily, so it is not a lifetime committement. Perhaps you could try them and have them removed if you couldn''t get used to them. They may not have felt comfortable in the beginning, but after a few weeks maybe they would.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Silver is my favorite "White" metal. I think people will notice the silver ring.

Given that there are now tarnish resistant silver alloys (it was the copper that tarnished - not the silver: I wonder why not have a silver engagment ring. Sure would look nice. Their are now some new silver alloys out that use other alloying elements to produce a strong silver alloy that are very difficult to tarnish.

Perry

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I too love silver but I think that it is still to malable and thuse the diamond would not be secure. Or that is what I have been told. In part I wonder if it would not be becuase woman would be distressed if thier SO got them silver rather then gold or platnium.

Layne

Shiny_Rock
I would go ahead and get a white gold band- if you get one that is 2mm I''m sure it would be $40 or less. I just think it would look better. I think any metals rubbing together over a long period of time (with the exception of Plat?) will wear both metals down. In the case of gold vs. sterling my guess is that gold is softer but I''m no expert.

michela002

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone.

I''ve had a hell of a time finding a silver or white gold band! Mainly because I want a super-thin one.

Will keep looking, and depending on price and availability go with one or the other ... wg would probably be better but I''m not sure I can justify the extra cost as it''s a temp solution ...

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
my experience with silver is that if it is worn lots, it doesn''t tarnish.

didn''t know it was the copper that made it tarnish sitting in the drawer! and, perry, do you have any websites for jewelry with this higher quality silver? would love to have a look.

peace, movie zombie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results